Why I Say I Know the LDS Church Is True

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Why I Say I Know the LDS Church Is True

Post by Gadianton »

Kevin,

My opinion is that you say the LDS church is true because you've been taught all your life to say, "I know the Church is true".

What does it mean? Well, I've seen a dozen explanations but I'm sure thousands have been given. People think about those words, ponder them, and interpret, reinterpret, and speculate over them. But these are all reasons given after the fact. The reason you and everyone else who is Mormon says this is because you've been taught to your entire life.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I think "I know" is definitely a custom. It's a sign of Mormon superiority probably from the days of Joseph Smith himself where he claimed he knew God and Jesus better than the rest. It was a sign of power to know deity to Joseph Smith and so "knowing" thus became a sign of power to the members as well. To "know" was to portray to the membership at large that the person claiming such had enough personal righteousness to have God give the "knowledge." Mere belief was for the new converts or the lesser mortals.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well. I know the LDS church knowingly protects child rapists. Period. The LDS church grooms children, protects groomers, and refuses to hand them over to law enforcement knowing they’re going to go home and rape more children.

Period.

If that’s your god’s “true church” then your god is straight up evil.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:22 pm
Is an organization still true when it continues to deceive its adherents?
Could be. Most people think mathematics is true, and yet the organization around mathematics deceived my mother into thinking that she could know it was consistent. The truth of the matter is that nobody knows if it's consistent or not. Mathematicians don't teach Godel's Theorem in high-school.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:20 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Could be. Most people think mathematics is true, and yet the organization around mathematics deceived my mother into thinking that she could know it was consistent. The truth of the matter is that nobody knows if it's consistent or not. Mathematicians don't teach Godel's Theorem in high-school.
Thus far you’re willing to admit an organization that protects child rapists and deceives its adherents can be True.

:roll:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
This is nonsense. The "organization around mathematics"? You are equating two entirely separate issues. Your tactics are facetious and tiresome. But, i suspect irritation and disruption are your goals, so do your thing. It's allowed here. Just as is ignoring your ignorance.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

KevinSim wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tell us more about your mother, and how her life has been devastated by Big Math's deceptive tactics.

Does she no longer trust that she can take 6 eggs out of a box of 12 and have 6 left in the box? Does she worry that a $20 charge at the gas pump will somehow result in $50020 being deducted from her bank balance. Is she afraid to count her children in case she discovers that overnight 2 boys + 1 girl has become 13 or 14 children?

by the way, would you be in favour of mathematicians teaching calculus in kindergarten - or should they continue to deceive 4-year-olds by sticking to addition and subtraction, thus failing to expose them to fluxions and fluents, as well as topology, Abelian groups, etc?

What exactly, do you think, makes such mathematical deception comparable to the deceptions (which you did not contest) of your chosen religion?

Further thought: do you think that people think mathematics is true in the same way as LDS church member think/believe/know/have a hunch that their church is true? Please define some terms for us here.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:40 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Is an organization still true when it continues to deceive its adherents?
KevinSim wrote:

This is nonsense. The "organization around mathematics"? You are equating two entirely separate issues. Your tactics are facetious and tiresome. But, i suspect irritation and disruption are your goals, so do your thing. It's allowed here. Just as is ignoring your ignorance.
Yeah, but can you deny that you are just a shill for Big Math?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

malkie wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:19 am
Marcus wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:40 am

Yeah, but can you deny that you are just a shill for Big Math?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

malkie wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:16 am
KevinSim wrote:

Tell us more about your mother, and how her life has been devastated by Big Math's deceptive tactics.

Does she no longer trust that she can take 6 eggs out of a box of 12 and have 6 left in the box? Does she worry that a $20 charge at the gas pump will somehow result in $50020 being deducted from her bank balance. Is she afraid to count her children in case she discovers that overnight 2 boys + 1 girl has become 13 or 14 children?

by the way, would you be in favour of mathematicians teaching calculus in kindergarten - or should they continue to deceive 4-year-olds by sticking to addition and subtraction, thus failing to expose them to fluxions and fluents, as well as topology, Abelian groups, etc?

What exactly, do you think, makes such mathematical deception comparable to the deceptions (which you did not contest) of your chosen religion?

Further thought: do you think that people think mathematics is true in the same way as LDS church member think/believe/know/have a hunch that their church is true? Please define some terms for us here.
malkie, you said that far more eloquently than i could possibly attempt. thank you!!!!!