Why I Say I Know the LDS Church Is True

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Re: Why I Say I Know the LDS Church Is True

Post by High Spy »

God doesn't do math.

Math does what God tells it to do. :lol:
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

High Spy wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:27 am

God doesn't do math.

Math does what God tells it to do. :lol:
so... god does math. as usual, you make no sense.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:07 am
What would your organization have to do to be Not True?
I think this is a key question that gets right to the heart of the matter. Kevin, can you answer Doc's question?
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Chap wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:04 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:24 am

Rather than deceive people by saying something other than what you mean, have some integrity and say what you mean: That you have a very strong hunch that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true.

What you've been doing is straight-up lying.
Many years ago, the Oxford philosopher A.J. Ayer wrote a paper entitled 'Knowing as Having the Right to be Sure'. Whether or not one agrees in all respects with Ayer's analysis of how the word 'know' is used and understood', I think most people who hear the claim 'I know X' will in general feel entitled to respond by asking:

"How do you know X?"

If you respond by simply saying:

"I have a very strong hunch that X is true"

... most people will, I think, feel that you have let them down somewhat.
KevinSim wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:44 pm
Is "know" then a useless word? An ideal that can never be reached?
Not at all. Thus in the following exchange, the word "know" is used in a claim, and the questioner is given an answer that, in any normal understanding of the word, would be taken as a satisfactory justification of its use:

A: "I know that Mr. Smith has paid the bill for $50,000 we sent him last week."

B: "How do you know that?"

A: "I just checked our bank account online, and it shows a payment by Mr. Smith of $50,000."

But if A had responded that he had just had a very strong hunch that Mr. Smith had paid his bill, then if B is a normal English speaker he or she might well reply:

"So you don't really know, then. You'd better check with the bank."
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

IHAQ wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:26 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:07 am
What would your organization have to do to be Not True?
I think this is a key question that gets right to the heart of the matter. Kevin, can you answer Doc's question?
Agreed. KevinSIm, please answer that.

Does your "hunch" over-ride all other evidence about the CoJCoLDS, or is there some fact that, if discovered to be true, would lead you to conclude that the CoJCoLDS was not true?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Chap wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:23 am

Not at all. Thus in the following exchange, the word "know" is used in a claim, and the questioner is given an answer that, in any normal understanding of the word, would be taken as a satisfactory justification of its use:

A: "I know that Mr. Smith has paid the bill for $50,000 we sent him last week."

B: "How do you know that?"

A: "I just checked our bank account online, and it shows a payment by Mr. Smith of $50,000."

But if A had responded that he had just had a very strong hunch that Mr. Smith had paid his bill, then if B is a normal English speaker he or she might well reply:

"So you don't really know, then. You'd better check with the bank."
But religionists actually think they have more than a strong hunch. It's more like they think they actually checked the bank account. That is when they say they know Christianity is true, or on Mormonism the Church is true, they actually feel like God's inner witness is like checking their bank account.

When the accusation is lying, we have to take into account intent.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

Forgive me, Stem, but I have to take exception to this.
dastardly stem wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:59 pm
No, we don't, nor should we. Said lie does just as much damage if it is spread innocently as if done so knowingly. Stupid, willful ignorance does more damage to the world than malice ever could.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Morley wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:46 pm
Forgive me, Stem, but I have to take exception to this.
dastardly stem wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:59 pm
No, we don't, nor should we. Said lie does just as much damage if it is spread innocently as if done so knowingly. Stupid, willful ignorance does more damage to the world than malice ever could.
I agree with your comment but I think mine still stands. I'm addressing someone's accusation that another is lying. I think to support the accusation that one has lied, the subject's intent needs to be taken into account. If someone says something that is not true, we most definitely ought to make comment in hopes to stop the spread of the falsehood. I don't think that confirms the falsehood as stated by the subject was that subject's lie, even if it was someone else's lie. A person could very well believe a lie is true and repeat it as if it were true. In this case, I don't think a believer is necessarily lying if they say they know their religion is true, or God is there or any such thing. they actually believe they have knowledge on the matter, or as close as we can get to knowledge.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:59 pm
I don't think it's lying. I know it as much as I know anything.
So, you have a strong hunch that South America is south of North America? You have a strong hunch that 2 + 2 = 4? You have a strong hunch that you’re reading this on a screen?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:53 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:59 pm
I don't think it's lying. I know it as much as I know anything.
So, you have a strong hunch that South America is south of North America? You have a strong hunch that 2 + 2 = 4? You have a strong hunch that you’re reading this on a screen?
I think that conversations such as this are nipped in the bud simply by coming to a resolution as to whether or not President Ezra Taft Benson was teaching the truth about the Book of Mormon.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... n?lang=eng

I posted this link on another thread but I think it’s applicable to this conversation. I don’t want to take away from the thrust of the direction or particular emphasis being placed on Kevin’s experience with God…because that is important…but I do want to reemphasize the importance in recognizing the importance of the Book of Mormon in “knowing that the church is true”.

Regards,
MG