Why I Say I Know the LDS Church Is True

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Why I Say I Know the LDS Church Is True

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:06 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:51 pm

So, your answer to #1 is to accept a certain Mormon CEO’s statements on the Book of Mormon because from one CEO to the next, they’re mostly harmonized. But, you don’t actually do that. You throw former CEOs under the bus when it suits you. In other words, you’re holding and advocating for a contradictory opinion.

You didn’t answer #2.

What would your organization have to do to be Not True?

- Doc
I did answer your question. If God withdrew His authority and His direction from the church it would become just another religious institution comparable to the Community of Christ or the other splinter groups of the restoration movement. It’s continued vitality and growth demonstrates that God is at the helm.

Regardless of what those that jump ship might say or do. Nothing can stop the work from progressing. Granted, strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

You and other naysayers will have zero impact on the work of God and it’s eventual mission of bringing souls…those that hear Him…back to His presence and receiving the gift of salvation/exaltation.

Regards,
MG
I’ll just take that as there’s nothing your organization could do to Not Be True for you.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:22 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:41 pm

Sure MG, but it's a useless "reemphasize" to those outside of those on the marketing team. If only you can convince people to reduce the totality of everything to just one slippery thing. Other religions do the same thing. If you want to be certain about the Bahai faith, you can likewise reduce the entire universe to the mission of Bahaullah, which you can study in less time than you can read the Book of Mormon.
Some might say that you are engaging in false equivalency. No two religions are exactly alike. Are they all ‘true’? Or are they all false? Or do you take a relativistic position in order to not have to come down with a firm position one way or the other.?

Regards,
MG
They can't be all true but they can be all false.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
...It’s continued vitality and growth demonstrates that God is at the helm....
oops.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:30 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:57 pm

1. Why would we care what a prior Mormon CEO says about the Book of Mormon since you’ve demonstrated repeatedly you’re willing to disregard their statements as unreliable?

2. What would your organization have to do to be Not True?

- Doc
For the most part and in regards to those things that really matter the leaders of the church have been in harmony. Does that settled position of harmony among the Brethren always occur as some would like it according to their own timetable and/or expectations?

No. Line upon line, precept upon precept.

In order for the church not to be true God would have to withdraw Himself and His authority from the church.

Regards,
MG
"most part", "really matter" - I like how tentative you have to be! To refer to the situation then as a "settled position of harmony" seems like a bit of a stretch. Individual leaders have not even been in harmony with themselves about doctrine.

Regardless, for that to be true, your "most part" and "things that really matter" should exclude, at the very least: polygamy; the withholding of the priesthood from black members; blood atonement; the status of the word "Mormon" as a suitable moniker for members.

I'm sure that others can add lots of items to this list of not very important things.

With regards to God withdrawing himself and authority from the church, I think you would need to demonstrate in some way (besides testimony) that he both gave and did not subsequently remove said authority.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MG 2.0 wrote:
If God withdrew His authority and His direction from the church it would become just another religious institution comparable to the Community of Christ or the other splinter groups of the restoration movement. Its continued vitality and growth demonstrate that God is at the helm.
So a major slowdown in membership growth would indicate that God is reconsidering his support? Perhaps He is encouraged by the growth of the Ensign Peak Advisor's Fund? Do you suppose it is keeping pace with the Kolobian Stock Exchange?

How do you know that God has not thrown his full support behind the Community of Christ? Would you call your answer a hunch?
Last edited by Moksha on Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

MetaProf wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:22 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:22 pm

Some might say that you are engaging in false equivalency. No two religions are exactly alike. Are they all ‘true’? Or are they all false? Or do you take a relativistic position in order to not have to come down with a firm position one way or the other.?

Regards,
MG
To those outside of any of the marketing teams, they all kind of do have the same status so it's not false equivalency.
And there’s the rub.
MetaProf wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:22 pm
And if the statement about the "importance in recognizing the importance of the Book of Mormon in “knowing that the church is true”." is about Benson's "all the church stands or falls on the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon", well then (the non-sequituriness of the argument notwithstanding) I for one am happy to let you go out on that limb.
Well, thanks!

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:37 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
If God withdrew His authority and His direction from the church it would become just another religious institution comparable to the Community of Christ or the other splinter groups of the restoration movement. Its continued vitality and growth demonstrate that God is at the helm.
So a major slowdown in membership growth would indicate that God is reconsidering his support?
With the winds of opposition towards religion in general, I don’t think this is surprising. In some respects religionists are underdogs to the secular influences that have gained momentum.

I think that the followers of God have always been the underdogs. It is said that God calls upon the weak things of the world to accomplish His great purposes. This is rather evident.

And the learned and ungodly (those that are atheists/agnostic) know how to use that to their advantage.

There is a battle going on, and the distinctions between followers of Christ and the secular establishment and their followers are becoming more transparent and obvious.

There are scriptural indications that God loves the underdog, those that through thick and thin stand up for Him and for Jesus Christ.

Regards,
MG
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:34 am
Moksha wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:37 pm

So a major slowdown in membership growth would indicate that God is reconsidering his support?
With the winds of opposition towards religion in general, I don’t think this is surprising. In some respects religionists are underdogs to the secular influences that have gained momentum.

I think that the followers of God have always been the underdogs. It is said that God calls upon the weak things of the world to accomplish His great purposes. This is rather evident.

And the learned and ungodly (those that are atheists/agnostic) know how to use that to their advantage.

There is a battle going on, and the distinctions between followers of Christ and the secular establishment and their followers are becoming more transparent and obvious.

There are scriptural indications that God loves the underdog, those that through thick and thin stand up for Him and for Jesus Christ.

Regards,
MG
This is some real crappy pilpul, bro. :roll:

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:38 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:34 am

Regards,
MG
This is some real crappy pipul, bro. :roll:

- Doc
I had to look that one up.

Pipul: fig tree of India noted for great size and longevity; lacks the prop roots of the banyan; regarded as sacred by Buddhists.

https://www.definitions.net/definition/PIPUL

Apparently it means something different to you? Sometimes I’m behind the times in current lingo.

Regards,
MG
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

So it's continue vitality and growth is proof that God is at the helm, but not too much growth, only limited growth, suggesting it's still the underdog, which proves that God is at the helm.

You're good for a laugh, MG, that's for sure.