RvW Overturned - Abortions Now Illegal

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: RvW Overturned - Abortions Now Illegal

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:06 pm
Well, I'm sure she has done that much already, which is why her own thinking changed. Hopefully her story will persuade others (especially lawmakers) why their own thinking needs to change on this issue. But I see your point. Certainly, at one time, she was able "to wrap [her] head around the thought process of lawmakers that would rather a full-term baby suffocate to death than allow a mother to make a decision that spares her child that pain," unless she initially didn't fully consider the inevitability of such scenarios occasionally coming to pass as long as draconian anti-abortion policies remain in place.
I've said it several times before: the only people who are "pro-life" (more accurately termed "pro-birth") have not thought the issue through. This couple hadn't thought it through until they were confronted with a situation that forced them to think it through. So yeah, after having done the work, it's no surprise they can no longer wrap their heads around lawmakers forcing their beliefs on the electorate, because now they have first hand experience with how damned stupid the law is.

People who call themselves "pro-life" never consider the bad pregnancies, only the optimal ones. They aren't pro-life, they're pro-ignorance and pro-controlling others.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

It’s not a problem until it happens to me, and when it does, I’m outraged that anyone could allow such a thing to happen.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:28 pm
People who call themselves "pro-life" never consider the bad pregnancies, only the optimal ones. They aren't pro-life, they're pro-ignorance and pro-controlling others.
Yes, and to make matters worse is that it isn't only woman's health and reproductive rights issues about which they are willfully and adamantly pro-ignorant and pro-controlling others.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.