Jeff Bradshaw giving a fireside on the Masonic temple rites in 8 hours - zoom link

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Jeff Bradshaw giving a fireside on the Masonic temple rites in 8 hours - zoom link

Post by drumdude »

JP: "Why doesn't Loyd Ericson talk directly to Jeff Bradshaw and resolve the situation?"

Good question. That seems the obvious first step.

loyd_ericson DanielPeterson
an hour ago
Just correcting some things here. I have no desire to argue with Dan or anyone, since Dan has made it clear that he nothing to do with the book that his organization and one of the VPs (Bradshaw) published.

I did speak with Bradshaw, hoping there was a better explanation for what he did. I only went public after he repeatedly refused to address the concerns I raised with him.

DanielPeterson loyd_ericson
28 minutes ago edited
L.E.: "Dan has made it clear that he nothing to do with the book that his organization and one of the VPs (Bradshaw) published."

To reiterate: I didn't say that.

L.E.: "I did speak with Bradshaw, hoping there was a better explanation for what he did. I only went public after he repeatedly refused to address the concerns I raised with him."

I haven't discussed it with him. I didn't know that there was even an issue until late last night or early this morning. I know only what you've written about the matter.

I'll probably talk with him about it at some point, but I have no information to add and, as of now, no particular opinion to share.

loyd_ericson loyd_ericson
an hour ago
Also View — uploads.disquscdn.com

Greg S. John Perry
8 hours ago
ARC == Advanced Reader Copy. A copy of a book given to someone for review prior to publication.

Patrick Patrick
9 hours ago
Daniel,

The person to talk to would be Lloyd Ericson.

DanielPeterson Patrick
9 hours ago edited
Patrick: "The person to talk to would be Lloyd Ericson."

Fine. If you don't want to talk to Jeff Bradshaw about what Jeff Bradshaw allegedly did to Loyd Ericson, talk to Loyd Ericson about what Jeff Bradshaw allegedly did to Loyd Ericson.

Don't continue to clutter this blog up with comments to me about it. I know nothing about the matter except for what I've read from Loyd Ericson.

And please note the correct spelling of his name.

Andrew Hall DanielPeterson
32 minutes ago
Daniel,
I wish the best Interpreter Foundation, and have often benefited from the things you and the organization have published.
I am disturbed with the cavalier way you are responding to this matter. If true, this is a serious breech of academic ethics, published by your publishing house, written by a Vice President of your organization. You have responsibility here, I would hope that you take it seriously.

DanielPeterson Andrew Hall
13 minutes ago
Andrew: "I am disturbed with the cavalier way you are responding to this matter."

"Cavallier" is the wrong way to describe my response. The fact is that, while we published Jeff's book and likely would have published his review, we commissioned neither of them. I understood that he obtained an Advanced Reader's Copy of the book, but I had no reason to see anything problematic in his having done so.

I had no idea whatever that there might be an issue until late last night or early this morning. Even now, I haven't heard anything about it from anybody besides Loyd Ericson. So I'm not exactly in a position to declare judgment on it.

Andrew: "If true, this is a serious breech of academic ethics, published by your publishing house, written by a Vice President of your organization. You have responsibility here, I would hope that you take it seriously."

To the extent that I personally bear responsibility, if I do at all, it's very, very limited. But I don't think it fair to expect me to respond instantly with Solomonic judgment when I'm in Florida watching my granddaughter while Jeff Bradshaw is in southwestern Idaho (as far as I know) and when I know only the plaintiff's side of the matter. (And, to be perfectly candid, the plaintiff is someone who has not, in my experience with him, always been, umm, strictly fair let alone sympathetic. We've basically avoided each other for the past several years, with careful civility and no real interaction -- which is how I would have preferred to continue. So I'm not prepared to condemn a friend quickly and on the basis of the complaint alone.)

loyd_ericson DanielPeterson
an hour ago
Thanks for correcting the spelling of my name :) After decades of seeing it misspelled on trophies, awards, certificates, yearbooks, programs, etc., it's a real pet peeve of mine.

DanielPeterson loyd_ericson
12 minutes ago
Happy to do it.

Zzyzx Zybisco Patrick
an hour ago
Why do you often respond to yourself?

The Last Danite Sledge
11 hours ago
This is such a non-controversy. How dull.

Sledge The Last Danite
22 minutes ago
TLD, you’re wrong on literally everything you post here.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Jeff Bradshaw giving a fireside on the Masonic temple rites in 8 hours - zoom link

Post by Kishkumen »

Pretty crappy behavior on Jeff Bradshaw’s part. But there is NOTHING here that will change the iron-clad fact that Joe Steve Swick III, Nick Literski, and Cheryl Bruno simply are the people who would know, from their long research and acquaintance with Freemasonry, its significance in regard to the origins and development of 19th century Mormonism. The apologists have been dragged along kicking and screamingly by research of this high caliber. I know these people, and this trio knows their stuff. The apologists? Not so much, in my experience.

Ask Philo Sofee. He is another fraternal brother in the know.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

The relevant Twitter thread.

Mopologetics.

ETA: I put the images up for ease of reference and for archival purposes; that we can we still read them in case Loyd's Twitter ceases to exist.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

UGH! And I thought Bradshaw was one of the last good ones....
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

This just solidifies Interpreter’s already rock bottom reputation in the eyes of everyone who isn’t a butt buddy of DCP.
the_narrator
Nursery

Post by the_narrator »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:40 am
UGH! And I thought Bradshaw was one of the last good ones....
This was incredibly disappointing, as I had put a lot of trust in him to be better.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Dan gives an explanation as to why he (allegedly) knows nothing about the issue..."I'm in Florida watching my granddaughter while Jeff Bradshaw is in southwestern Idaho". Is there an issue with electronic communications (Text, WhatsApp, Email, Phone Call....) between Florida and Idaho? Is there a Time Zone issue? Has Dan not got Jeff's contact details?

Anyway, did Jeff Bradshaw just prove Joseph Smith could have done it 90 days?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:00 pm
One of the Interpreter Foundation's authors requested a book under the pretense of writing a review for the Interpreter Foundation, and then used information from that book to publish another book through the Interpreter Foundation.

Implicating the Interpreter Foundation is therefore the same as implicating the entire population of the United States.

The math checks out.
How do we know that Dr. Peterson did not intend this as both an exercise in bad logic and questionable ethics?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Wow. That represents a new low. Just wow. I am astounded by the lack of integrity.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Lincoln Cannon wrote:

"I'm criticizing you and Interpreter Foundation for providing a platform for a maliciously-intended and poorly-informed publication targeted at me."

Dear Lincoln:

It's the Interpreter Foundation, for crying out loud. You know, the zombified form of the deceased FARMS Review. What the Hell did you think would happen when you submitted your work to them??

(Not to belabor the point, but) With all due respect, you're like the zookeeper who throws the lion a T-Bone steak, then when the lion eats it, shouts "Bad lion! How dare you eat my steak?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024