Post-Covid Processing of Attempted Carjacking

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Post-Covid Processing

Post by honorentheos »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:16 am
I'm not sure how I would have reacted if the same thing happened to me. I would certainly have been scared, though. I'm glad there were no drastic consequences to you, and I'm somewhat reassured that the police responded so quickly in this case.
Thanks, Gunnar. I was surprised at the response time, too. There had to be eight or more squad cars that showed up total plus an ambulance for treating the guy for injuries.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Post-Covid Processing of Attempted Carjacking

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

My theory as to why you’re feeling the way you are is because of 21st century information overload. Thanks to the interwebs and cable tv images of violence and wrongdoing are commonplace. It’s so commonplace that when it happens to you it’s like, “Welp. Here it is, and it is what it is.” It’s more of a curiosity than a traumatic event - barring you getting shot and all that. Even if you had been shot, you might have the kind of temperament to roll with it because you don’t suffer from Main Character Syndrome. Your brain, either through its wiring or through discipline probably sees the world through a mostly meta narrative, so it’s no wonder when some piece of crap marked you for a crime you were and are like, “This happens, and it’s unremarkable that it happened to me since millions of people have experienced this.”

That’s not to take away any sense of trauma you experienced through an existential threat. It may require some processing, or it may not. Either way is fine.

So. Yeah. Glad you’re here and sharing with us. Glad you’re relatively unscathed. And I’m sad you weren’t able to run him over because he definitely needed running over.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

That's an interesting way of looking at it, Cam. Makes sense to me, too. It feels more possible, familiar than it should so that coming from exposure to simulated or reported criminal behavior is as good of an explanation any.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:17 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:17 am
honor I read this earlier perhaps not long after you posted it and as I went through it I could feel a rising tension. honor I'm so relieved that you managed to leave the situation unharmed.

You know, I don't know you in real life but I know you in URL*, as a good friend once called it. Depending on the topic you are friend or adversary. It never matters to me which you are at any given time. I feel some level of connection with most of you here and whew! I'm just glad you're okay!

*unreal life
Thank you, Jersey Girl. I appreciate that. I generally see people here separate from their positions, too.

I asked the officer who was drove me to verify the person in cuffs was the right guy if they had heard if they confirmed the guy was high or possibly having a mental episode. They hadn't heard. I felt bad for the guy. Not for how he was treated by the police or anything like that. They were professional. Just that it seemed like life had been a bit shittier to him than it had been to me, I guess.
Given your sympathy for the would be thief, I take it the suspect was some kind of minority. Am I right?
Last edited by ajax18 on Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

So glad you are safe, honor. You handled that terrifying situation remarkably well. Still, would that it had never happened. I hope that this fellow never tries that on another person.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:11 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:17 pm

Thank you, Jersey Girl. I appreciate that. I generally see people here separate from their positions, too.

I asked the officer who was drove me to verify the person in cuffs was the right guy if they had heard if they confirmed the guy was high or possibly having a mental episode. They hadn't heard. I felt bad for the guy. Not for how he was treated by the police or anything like that. They were professional. Just that it seemed like life had been a bit shittier to him than it had been to me, I guess.
Given your sympathy for the would be thief, I take it the suspect was some kind of minority. Am I right?
No. He was a white guy.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:35 pm
ajax18 wrote:

No. He was a white guy.
Well you got me on that one. I'm glad you got away unscathed.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Wow! What a leap of illogic and bigotry! Because you assume that honorentheos is a progressive and not a racist like yourself, you automatically assume that he only has sympathy for minorities or regards others of his own kind less worthy of sympathy or consideration! Incredible!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:26 pm
So glad you are safe, honor. You handled that terrifying situation remarkably well. Still, would that it had never happened. I hope that this fellow never tries that on another person.
Thank you, Kish.