Question for KevinSim- biblical gospel articulation request

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Informant
CTR B

Re: Question for KevinSim- biblical gospel articulation request

Post by Informant »

KevinSim wrote: MsNobody, does Biblical Christianity explain how we humans can know that anything it says about God is actually true?
Don’t go down this rabbit hole.

We cannot know anything. We cannot know truth. Nothing can be proven.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Informant wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:55 am
Do you know where your wife was last night?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Informant
CTR B

Post by Informant »

doubtingthomas wrote: Do you know where your wife was last night?
Husband? Technically, no. I don’t even know where I was last night. Or where I am now, or even if I am.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Informant wrote:
KevinSim wrote: MsNobody, does Biblical Christianity explain how we humans can know that anything it says about God is actually true?

We can know when we are born from above (born again), and God sends the Holy Spirit to indwell us. I don’t know of any other way, except God convicts our hearts as He draws us individually to Himself. That’s my answer and I don’t think I can expound on that.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Informant
CTR B

Post by Informant »

msnobody wrote: We can know when we are born from above (born again), and God sends the Holy Spirit to indwell us. I don’t know of any other way, except God convicts our hearts as He draws us individually to Himself. That’s my answer and I don’t think I can expound on that.
Right. Faith. We cannot know anything. We can follow the evidence and come up with the best—at that time—explanation. That could change at any time.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:06 pm
Mormonism is just a late variation of Christianity that dips back into the Hellenic spring yet again. It is no more ridiculous than other forms of Judaism and Christianity.
Wow, high praise indeed!
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

All I can say is read 1 John chapters 1-5. Read it as a child.
https://www.esv.org/1+John+1/ it describes what I’m saying.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Informant wrote:
KevinSim wrote:MsNobody, does Biblical Christianity explain how we humans can know that anything it says about God is actually true?
Why not? What's wrong with said rabbit hole?
Informant wrote:We cannot know anything. We cannot know truth. Nothing can be proven.
Informant, how did you come to the conclusion that we cannot know anything, that we cannot know truth, or that nothing can be proven?
Informant
CTR B

Post by Informant »

KevinSim wrote: Informant, how did you come to the conclusion that we cannot know anything, that we cannot know truth, or that nothing can be proven?
I don’t know for sure. I jump to certain conclusions based on available evidence, which could change at any time.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Informant wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:24 am
Technically, no. I don’t even know where I was last night. Or where I am now, or even if I am.
Rene Descartes gave what was in his time a pretty persuasive argument for concluding that he was. More recently philosophers have poked holes in Descartes' alleged proof, but I still think Descartes had something. I think that if each of us think about it a little bit, one thing each can know is that s/he exists.