The authoritarian ideology of Russell Nelson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: The authoritarian ideology of Russell Nelson

Post by drumdude »

Informant wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:58 am
drumdude wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:55 am
Does your question relate to Russell Nelson?
It relates to authoritarianism.
I’ll say about Trump that Dan Peterson and I have pretty much the same view of the man.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Thing is that we are not able to keep the covenants. God is the only one who can keep the covenants on our behalf.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:22 am
Thing is that we are not able to keep the covenants. God is the only one who can keep the covenants on our behalf.
Is covenant the same as commandment to you? Says Jesus (apparently) in John's gospel, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

I've heard many explain to me things like "well it's not us who do good things, it's Jesus inside us, causing us to do good." It makes you wonder what we do with commandments. "well we can't really keep any commandments you give us, Jesus. You must do it for us."
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:20 pm
msnobody wrote:
Is covenant the same as commandment to you? Says Jesus (apparently) in John's gospel, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

I've heard many explain to me things like "well it's not us who do good things, it's Jesus inside us, causing us to do good." It makes you wonder what we do with commandments. "well we can't really keep any commandments you give us, Jesus. You must do it for us."
Jesus inside us. Except when the commandments involve something that runs counter to our internal moral compass. The happiness letter points this out. Religion A has a commandment to utterly destroy while religion B has a commandment to turn the other cheek. I have yet to hear an explanation to how one decides which one is correct. I suspect it is the one that grants the most rewards to the individual.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

dastardly stem wrote:
msnobody wrote:
Is covenant the same as commandment to you?
No. I'm at work at cannot elaborate right now. Perhaps that is deserving of its own thread.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:22 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Is covenant the same as commandment to you?
No. I'm at work at cannot elaborate right now. Perhaps that is deserving of its own thread.
If you have the time and interest, I'd be interested in reading a thread on that topic.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:03 pm
msnobody wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:22 pm
If you have the time and interest, I'd be interested in reading a thread on that topic.
Let me educate myself now that I’ve blurted that out.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:42 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:03 pm
Let me educate myself now that I’ve blurted that out.
Fair enough. 😀
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Wonhyo
CTR A

Post by Wonhyo »

Just speaking from personal observation, but I've never seen a person as visibly excited to be the president of the church as Russel Nelson. He'd waited an awfully long time for it to happen. He beat the actuary odds and made it to the top. And he is letting the church know it, decreeing the changes he'd long planned to make, for better or for worse.
"There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Wonhyo wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:25 pm
Just speaking from personal observation, but I've never seen a person as visibly excited to be the president of the church as Russel Nelson. He'd waited an awfully long time for it to happen. He beat the actuary odds and made it to the top. And he is letting the church know it, decreeing the changes he'd long planned to make, for better or for worse.
Including changes that were clearly not supported by previous presidents, including Thomas "I'm a Mormon Boy" Monson.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!