Russell Nelson Is Not Popular Among Many Members

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: Russell Nelson Is Not Popular Among Many Members

Post by KevinSim »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:18 pm
KevinSim, now that you've heard the words of the prophet are you willing to reject the theory of evolution?
He wasn't the prophet when he made either of those three statements. On the other hand, Heber Grant was indeed the prophet when he decided that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had better things to do than decide whether the Theory of Evolution was true or not. I remain leaning very strongly toward believing in the Theory of Evolution. I believe in the Big Bang Theory too (the Lambda-CDM Model, not the TV show).
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:43 am
Moksha wrote:
KevinSim, now that you've heard the words of the prophet are you willing to reject the theory of evolution?
He wasn't the prophet when he made either of those three statements. On the other hand, Heber Grant was indeed the prophet when he decided that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had better things to do than decide whether the Theory of Evolution was true or not. I remain leaning very strongly toward believing in the Theory of Evolution. I believe in the Big Bang Theory too (the Lambda-CDM Model, not the TV show).
The Magnificence of Man by Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve, From an address delivered at Brigham Young University on March 29, 1987.

In other words, someone who, at the time, was set apart and sustained as a "Prophet, Seer, and Revelator".

But you knew that, no? You checked before you said that "[h]e wasn't the prophet when he made either of those three statements."
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

KevinSim wrote:
Moksha wrote:
So the 15 aren't prophets, seers and revelators anymore? When did that change? Or is this more a convenient use of equivocation?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Since when did every opinion tossed out by the 12 become infallible? I do not remember such being taught.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:40 pm
Since when did every opinion tossed out by the 12 become infallible? I do not remember such being taught.
Before your time. I think it was at a regular board meeting back in 1922. For further information, search the frequently referenced Unwritten Rules.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:48 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Before your time. I think it was at a regular board meeting back in 1922. For further information, search the frequently referenced Unwritten Rules.
Evidence that there are different subsets of Mormonism functioning under different collections of unwritten rules i gather.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

huckelberry wrote:
Do you remember being taught to follow the prophet, and that, even if he is wrong (though there is never an instance in which the current prophet admits to being wrong), god will bless you for your obedience?

In my mind that is just as pernicious a teaching.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

malkie wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:55 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Do you remember being taught to follow the prophet, and that, even if he is wrong (though there is never an instance in which the current prophet admits to being wrong), god will bless you for your obedience?

In my mind that is just as pernicious a teaching.
Malkie, I remember that idea. I think you are right about it. This morning as I read your comment I found myself remembering that as a youth I found the proposal repugnant and quietly rejected it in my mind. I wondered if that started me down a path to eventually leaving the whole thing. It wasn't that simple of course. I remember feeling pain over the poisonous things I heard about Negroes but a remainder of that fear of authority kept me from leaving because of it. It took a collection of stuff for me to be able to get over the line and out.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

malkie wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:54 am
KevinSim wrote:
The Magnificence of Man by Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve, From an address delivered at Brigham Young University on March 29, 1987.

In other words, someone who, at the time, was set apart and sustained as a "Prophet, Seer, and Revelator".
I supported Russell Nelson as a prophet, seer, and revelator back in 1987. Still, there's a difference between something stated by an apostle and the official position of the Church, laid out by the current prophet himself. Heber Grant said the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has no position on the Theory of Evolution. Until Russell Nelson, acting as Church President, reverses that, I will go on leaning toward believing in that theory.
malkie wrote:But you knew that, no? You checked before you said that "[h]e wasn't the prophet when he made either of those three statements."
I didn't check anything. I just noticed that the dates provided for each of the three quotes placed them before Nelson became president.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:17 pm
malkie wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:54 am

I supported Russell Nelson as a prophet, seer, and revelator back in 1987. Still, there's a difference between something stated by an apostle and the official position of the Church, laid out by the current prophet himself. Heber Grant said the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has no position on the Theory of Evolution. Until Russell Nelson, acting as Church President, reverses that, I will go on leaning toward believing in that theory.
malkie wrote:But you knew that, no? You checked before you said that "[h]e wasn't the prophet when he made either of those three statements."
I didn't check anything. I just noticed that the dates provided for each of the three quotes placed them before Nelson became president.
Kevin, the conversation meandered a bit, but all this discussion was prompted by your request for evidence that Nelson does not believe in evolution -- not whether Nelson had declared his belief to be doctrine.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.