Crime Weekly News: Idaho Murder Suspect Arrested

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Right up front, I will admit that I haven't followed every twist and turn in this case. Why? Because right now it feels too dark to me. That doesn't mean I'm not following it though, nor does it mean that I won't sift through the arrest affidavit when/if it becomes available including autopsy reports and crime scene photos. I'll follow the trial when/if it happens which, given how high profile trials like this seem to go, will take place in a year or more.

Anyway, I've posted re: Stephanie Harlowe who produces true crime content. I think she's top drawer in the true crime community. She's got now over 700K subscribers on her youtube channel. If you've never felt particularly interested in true crime cases, I invite you to check into at least one of the videos on her channel and see if she changes your mind.

She's like a sickness in my brain.
8-)

I don't think I've ever mentioned her collab with ex-cop, private investigator, Derrick Levasseur. They compliment each other in such a way as to hold my interest while listening to them work their way through commentary on a case. You can check Derrick's wiki to check his background and what he's done. Spoiler: He appeared on a reality tv program.

The video linked below runs 42:42. If you are at all interested, this will give you a taste of what their collaboration is like. It's different from what Stephanie does on her channel however I noticed when watching Crime Weekly that she uses the same research notes from her channel coverage of true crime cases. Stephanie doesn't typically jump on a crime story when it happens, more often than not, she waits until the case has progressed, collects deep dive research, and then tells the story of the entire case including the life history of the people involved. She's got a psychological element to her coverage which I prefer.

In collaboration with Derrick she is more likely to cover the blow by blows of a case as it is unfolding. You'll see that in the video below. Get a cup of coffee or whatever...take a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6rJx_vvU_c

I hope you find it interesting and I may link to other similar commentary on the case on this thread. Stephanie and Derrick's various links are listed below the video and...so is their fairly new Criminal Coffee Co. business. :)

Yours in sleuthing,
J to the absolute G
:geek:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Crime Weekly News: Idaho Murder Suspect Arrested

Post by Jersey Girl »

We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:35 pm
Arrest affidavit.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/05/us/read- ... index.html
Well that was creepy as hell.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:06 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:35 pm
Arrest affidavit.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/05/us/read- ... index.html
Well that was creepy as hell.
They're never pleasant to read. I'm only on page 7 and will finish later. But this caught my eye immediately.

a tan leather knife sheath laying on the bed

I've said it repeatedly. Criminals always make stupid mistakes. I'm assuming the leather knife sheath is one of those stupid mistakes. Either that or this suspect is arrogant as hell, left it as a calling card because he wants the notoriety.

But I shouldn't jump ahead of the affidavit.

There's an in real life connection between him and an incarcerated serial killer. I may write about that later. Also the research interview questions he asked of others about crime involvement are intriguing. The picture I see forming (and I admit I can be biased) is that of a cunning psychopath. Ted Bundy wannabe.

Anyway, this is the flash point where places like reddit and the true crime community online are going to blow up and it will do folks little good to attend to them. Best to stick with the affidavit and updates from legitimate news sources for now.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Denver criminal defense attorney Scott Reisch shares the process he'd use to approach this case as a criminal defense attorney. About 25 mins and time stamped. I found this interesting as he raised issues I hadn't considered as well as those that I already know. Mainly from watching him. He's good!

What Would You Do if You Represented Bryan Kohberger? Let's Talk About It!
https://youtu.be/cRqVG20-yuA?t=124

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Preliminary hearing for this case is scheduled for Jun and expected to last 4-5 days. :shock: Please stand by.

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

New Detail in Bryan Kohberger Case Gives Defense Room to Fuel Doubt
BY MATTHEW IMPELLI ON 1/17/23 AT 8:34 PM EST

….Rahmani [former federal prosecutor and president of West Coast Trial Lawyers ] said that the trial will likely be a "battle of the experts," adding that "this is what you want as a defense attorney, you want to kind of inject some doubt into the jury's deliberation."

"If they doubt the data being provided and analysis is inaccurate, that's just really all you need. You don't need actual innocence, you just need reasonable doubt," he said….

https://www.newsweek.com/new-detail-bry ... bt-1774517
Maybe this lawyer doesn’t realize how the phrase I put in color comes across, but it encapsulates much of what I find repulsive about the way some lawyers go about their work.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:30 pm

New Detail in Bryan Kohberger Case Gives Defense Room to Fuel Doubt
BY MATTHEW IMPELLI ON 1/17/23 AT 8:34 PM EST

….Rahmani [former federal prosecutor and president of West Coast Trial Lawyers ] said that the trial will likely be a "battle of the experts," adding that "this is what you want as a defense attorney, you want to kind of inject some doubt into the jury's deliberation."

"If they doubt the data being provided and analysis is inaccurate, that's just really all you need. You don't need actual innocence, you just need reasonable doubt," he said….

https://www.newsweek.com/new-detail-bry ... bt-1774517
Maybe this lawyer doesn’t realize how the phrase I put in color comes across, but it encapsulates much of what I find repulsive about the way some lawyers go about their work.
Emotion aside, would you prefer that people accused of a crime have the burden of proving their innocence? Or that people should be sent to prison based on a mere preponderance of the evidence as opposed to proof beyond a reasonable doubt? Even under this high standard of proof, the number of provably innocent people that have been sentenced to death (and some executed) is pretty shocking. And the percentage of poor, black and brown folks wrongly convicted is unconscionably high.

I suspect the lawyer understands that some people find what he said to be repulsive. I suspect he also understands that they have likely never been the subject of false criminal charges. Criminal defense attorneys have an ethical duty to hold the government to its standard of proof, and that's just what the lawyer is describing.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

On the flipside, the number of provably guilty people that have gotten off scot-free or with a relative slap on the wrist is pretty shocking. I suppose that’s the trouble with humans trying to hold humans accountable for misdeeds - we’ll create a system with good intent, but maybe not the best execution, no pun intended.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:31 pm
On the flipside, the number of provably guilty people that have gotten off scot-free or with a relative slap on the wrist is pretty shocking. I suppose that’s the trouble with humans trying to hold humans accountable for misdeeds - we’ll create a system with good intent, but maybe not the best execution, no pun intended.

- Doc
It was a good pun nevertheless.

Last time I looked, we had one of the highest, if not the highest, rates of incarceration in the world. Given that context, I can't really be shocked by the fact that some guilty people skate. Now, the inequities in who gets to skate or gets a slap on the risk I would find pretty shocking, although perhaps not surprising.

Until we get omnipotent judges and jurors, together with the financial resources to try each and every case charged, the system is going to generate false positives and negatives. And the inadequacies of the system are going to be distributed inequitably. Perfection is impossible. Working at correcting the most flawed aspects is the best we can do. And by we, I suppose I mean a bunch of elected officials who are more interested in winning the next election than fixing problems.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.