Grindael: RIP, A MDB Treasure

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Madison54
Nursery

Re: Grindael: RIP, A MDB Treasure

Post by Madison54 »

_Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:04 am
Our dear friend grindael has passed on to the great Church History Library in the sky. He departed from this world last week, after battling an aggressive lymphoma. Grindael was a talented and energetic researcher, and he generously shared that with us here. Many of his posts provided priceless information. I know that he was in the process of revising some articles he hoped to publish. Grindael was a beloved and valued member of the community of Mormon scholars, and he was a real treasure on the Cassius faculty.

He was also a talented artist, something he also shared with us on occasion.

We will miss you, grindael. Requiescat in pace.
Hello Kish!

It's been a long time since I last posted, but I found this thread searching for Johnny (Grindael). I'm heartbroken to learn of his passing....what an incredible man and historian he was!

I had communicated with him quite a lot at one time and was helping him with editing his responses to Brian Hales that he was writing. But my daughter became very ill and was hospitalized for a year, so I had to stop working with him and we lost touch.
I have tried to email him, with no response and now I know why. I'm grateful for finding what you posted.

I hope you and your family are doing well!

(I had to re-register for this site....it's been that long ;) )
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Madison54 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:26 pm
_Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:04 am
Our dear friend grindael has passed on to the great Church History Library in the sky. He departed from this world last week, after battling an aggressive lymphoma. Grindael was a talented and energetic researcher, and he generously shared that with us here. Many of his posts provided priceless information. I know that he was in the process of revising some articles he hoped to publish. Grindael was a beloved and valued member of the community of Mormon scholars, and he was a real treasure on the Cassius faculty.

He was also a talented artist, something he also shared with us on occasion.

We will miss you, grindael. Requiescat in pace.
Hello Kish!

It's been a long time since I last posted, but I found this thread searching for Johnny (Grindael). I'm heartbroken to learn of his passing....what an incredible man and historian he was!

I had communicated with him quite a lot at one time and was helping him with editing his responses to Brian Hales that he was writing. But my daughter became very ill and was hospitalized for a year, so I had to stop working with him and we lost touch.
I have tried to email him, with no response and now I know why. I'm grateful for finding what you posted.

He is greatly missed here.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Madison54
Nursery

Post by Madison54 »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:38 pm
Yes :(
At least he has his website still up (and I have my emails from him with some of his research there too). What a wealth of knowledge he had and what an incredible researcher.

Is Kishkumen not on here anymore? (When I click on his name above, I get this message "The requested user does not exist.")
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Madison54 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:18 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:38 pm
Yes :(
At least he has his website still up (and I have my emails from him with some of his research there too). What a wealth of knowledge he had and what an incredible researcher.

Is Kishkumen not on here anymore? (When I click on his name above, I get this message "The requested user does not exist.")
Hi Madison,

It's nice to see you! To answer your question, the OP is from the old board so the user _Kishkumen is but a reflection of the still active current poster Kishkumen. There are probably threads with a user _Madison54 that were archived when the board had to move and be rebuilt. Thus the emeritus status.
Madison54
Nursery

Post by Madison54 »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:27 pm
Hi Madison,

It's nice to see you! To answer your question, the OP is from the old board so the user _Kishkumen is but a reflection of the still active current poster Kishkumen. There are probably threads with a user _Madison54 that were archived when the board had to move and be rebuilt. Thus the emeritus status.
Hello Honor!!

Thanks for explaining :)
That's probably why I had to re-register too!!

I'm going to try to get caught up here and do some reading.....thanks again!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Madison54 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:43 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:27 pm
Hi Madison,

Hello Honor!!

Thanks for explaining :)
That's probably why I had to re-register too!!

I'm going to try to get caught up here and do some reading.....thanks again!
Welcome back Madison! Hope things are going better for you and the family. Yes Grindael was of exceptional caliber and is missed. Glad to have you back.
Madison54
Nursery

Post by Madison54 »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:58 pm
Welcome back Madison! Hope things are going better for you and the family. Yes Grindael was of exceptional caliber and is missed. Glad to have you back.
Thank you, Philo!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Hello Kish!

Welcome back, Madison54! You have been missed. Yes, the passing of Johnny was a very sad event. I am sorry to hear your daughter was very ill! I hope she made a full recovery. My family is muddling through, fortunately. I hope we see a lot more posts from you here. As you can see, there is a glut of DCP and Rosebud posts, so posts on other topics are especially welcome.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Madison54
Nursery

Post by Madison54 »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:04 am
Welcome back, Madison54! You have been missed. Yes, the passing of Johnny was a very sad event. I am sorry to hear your daughter was very ill! I hope she made a full recovery. My family is muddling through, fortunately. I hope we see a lot more posts from you here. As you can see, there is a glut of DCP and Rosebud posts, so posts on other topics are especially welcome.
Thank you, Kish.....it's great to hear back from you :)

I've missed being here too and hope it hasn't changed too much. I'll get on more and try to catch up!

Thanks for asking about my daughter. It was a rough year, but she's doing better now.

I'm so glad you posted about Johnny. Such a loss! I'm actually listening to him on a past podcast (on Amazon) today and he's brilliant.

I'll be here, popping in and out!