The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

Post by Jersey Girl »

Father Francis wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:37 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:24 am

I think more lemon would be awesome! I don't add any salt at all. To anything.

Unless I'm baking.
Lentil soups with lemon are to die for. You should try them if you haven't already. I'd give you a recipe, but I don't use recipes except for a basic guideline now and then or the rare occasion when I bake something. Baking is an exact science as much as it is an artform.
I bet I could add lemon to my Lentil Soup recipe that has a tomato base! by the way, in case you didn't pick up on it, I'm trying to gain weight right now so I might mention food that isn't exactly conducive to healthy eating.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:24 am
Father Francis wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:45 am
Adding more lemon and removing the salt is an option. Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines feature tons of soups/stews with lots of lemon juice. They're delicious! In culinary school I was taught by a brilliant chef from Lebanon. He told us "Add lemon until you think there's just enough, then add a little more!".
I think more lemon would be awesome! I don't add any salt at all. To anything.

Unless I'm baking.
I’m a salt fiend; I’m going to try to change that.

Fresh squeezed lemon factors into a lot of our meals; it can be added to a surprising number of things that you might not even consider as candidates, and ‘brightens’ up flavors very nicely.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Lemon and lime are sort of like salt transposed into a different key, or something, for me. They add a zip that is sort of analogous to saltiness, enough to work as a salt substitute. For a while I would often squeeze lemon or lime juice into or onto things just before serving. Somehow I went back to salt more in the past couple of years, but I think just because salt doesn't go mouldy and it's fun to sprinkle coarse salt on things like Salt Bae. I should probably go back to more citrus, even though nobody in the family is having blood pressure issues now.

You can grate lemon rind into things. It's very lemony but not sour like the juice, and it's only bitter if you get too much of the white stuff.

You can also perk things up with a tiny amount of cayenne pepper. That stuff is fierce, and I don't tolerate spiciness well, but trace amounts can give a mysterious zing that doesn't really register as heat.

Herbs and spices in general can be good. You don't have to be a culinary genius to use them. Spices are things that got to be counted as spices by tasting good to most people, and there's a pretty wide margin of concentrations within which they are still good whether subtle or strong. From someone who moved away suddenly we inherited a bag of ground cumin, for example, so for a long while I shovelled cumin onto anything that seemed remotely likely to tolerate it. Surprisingly many things did. I can't say that I've ever hit on any magic combinations of flavour that would make me a great chef, but I don't think I've ever had a disaster with herbs and spices.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:48 pm

Fresh squeezed lemon factors into a lot of our meals; it can be added to a surprising number of things that you might not even consider as candidates, and ‘brightens’ up flavors very nicely.
Salt will forever be my greatest nemesis, I've never had a challenge with reducing sweets (I even find most American baking WAY too heavy on the sugar) but lord help me when it comes to salty snacks. Adding citrus is a good alternative but I have also found leaning a little heavier into the garlic side helps me reduce salt without missing it as much. My heart thanks me but the SO maybe not so much :lol: .
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Okay so just a couple of things today.

I'm toggling between 101 and 102. Yes, I know how pathetic that sounds but the truth is the lowest I went after Omicron was 96 so I'm getting back up there. Never have I ever....never in my entire life have I ever needed to gain weight. It's a bit of a struggle when you have food anxiety but I'm doing it. :)

I did some reading about food anxiety. It always says that people have food anxiety when they think food is going to harm them in some way...as if it were an irrational fear. Try having vagally mediated afib with rvr and get back to me, k? :evil:

My new jeans came back from the tailor's with darts put in. I love them so much! I don't like the darts but I needed something done with them because of the C19 weight plunge. One more pair to turn into the tailors. Spreading out alterations because prices have skyrocketed! I paid 35$ to make these jeans fit me. :shock:

I've been dancing every day, not just fooling around dancing but with purpose. Nice to get moving again! Music is the one and only way to make me move. So, I mentioned a song I learned the steps to. The steps are easy. I'm sure a child could do it. Anyway, I'm going to post three versions of the steps here just for the fun of it and to prove that in any dance group...there's always that one. You can pick them out in 5 seconds.

So when I do this I do it about 3-5 times. That's the only way I've found to get benefit from it.

First version I ever saw. Time stamped after the steps instruction. Watch for that one!

MARY TAYLOR STEPPERS - Roll It, Roll It
https://youtu.be/lVfNm07foSs?list=PLVwV ... 7keyg&t=65

This one shows how many ways you can modify the steps to your own style and yet, there is still that one. Actually there is one woman in there who is so darn cool as to not to be believed. in my opinion.

"Roll it Roll it" W.E.Y. Line dancers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Kjdur ... g&index=10

Here's a group doing it a circle. And again, there's that one.

Roll it Roll it Line Dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HXI6Di ... yg&index=1

Anyway, I love line dances because once you've got the main steps down you can do whatever you want and adapt the steps to how you hear the music and how you like to move to it and still stay in step with the group. Tons and tons of line dance versions on youtube. Pick a song you like that rocks or jives a bit and there's probably a line dance for it.

I'm planning to do this for a month and then go back to my class.

Yours truly,
That one
8-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Xenophon wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:13 pm
canpakes wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:48 pm

Salt will forever be my greatest nemesis, I've never had a challenge with reducing sweets (I even find most American baking WAY too heavy on the sugar) but lord help me when it comes to salty snacks. Adding citrus is a good alternative but I have also found leaning a little heavier into the garlic side helps me reduce salt without missing it as much. My heart thanks me but the SO maybe not so much :lol: .
I used to eat salty snacks like crazy, Xeno. I love them. I could eat a whole bag of Cheetos in one sitting. I cut out salt some years back. I never added salt in cooking or to a prepared meal to begin with. I originally tried to shoot for 1500mgs per day. Now I don't even pay attention to it because it's second nature. If you want to turn yourself off salt try reading the menu from any restaurant you like to visit (if you do) and see if they have the nutrition facts on their meals. :shock: I rarely eat out any more but when I do I have 3 go to places where I think I can eat reasonably, enjoy it and not be afraid of tripping off the heart thing I get. I eat half a portion of what they serve. I think it's probably easier for me than you because you're probably a big guy and half portions are probably more in keeping with my size anyway.

As for sugar and baking, I agree. I've always cut down sugar by about a third in baking recipes but still added salt because I think it's needed for baking. Sometimes I substitute half brown sugar for white sugar or add apple sauce to a recipe. I eat sweets in moderation but I don't eat salty snacks at all.

I. want. my. Cheetos. back! Or chips! I'd take chips!
:twisted:

Slava Ukraini!
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:33 pm
Not sure how readily available they are in your area but Utz makes a "no salt added" potato chip that scratches the itch pretty good for me. I'll add some other seasonings to it to counter the saltless nature of them (Tony Chachere's makes a really good no salt season all). I don't recall how strict the sodium restriction is for you but I'll also splurge on some Mac n Cheese Beanitos when I really need to cheat. They are only a bit better than cheetos on the salt front but the other macros are in my wheelhouse and most of my restrictions are self imposed. Obviously nothing is quite the same as the real deal but some substitutes are nice.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Xenophon wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:20 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:33 pm
Not sure how readily available they are in your area but Utz makes a "no salt added" potato chip that scratches the itch pretty good for me. I'll add some other seasonings to it to counter the saltless nature of them (Tony Chachere's makes a really good no salt season all). I don't recall how strict the sodium restriction is for you but I'll also splurge on some Mac n Cheese Beanitos when I really need to cheat. They are only a bit better than cheetos on the salt front but the other macros are in my wheelhouse and most of my restrictions are self imposed. Obviously nothing is quite the same as the real deal but some substitutes are nice.
Normal sodium intake: 2300 mgs
Jersey sodium intake: 1500 mgs

I looked up the Utz chips! Our Walmart doesn't have them but Safeway (Albertsons) looks like they do and I'm headed over there tomorrow! So the Utz chips no salt added is 05 mgs for 20 chips. Utz for the win!

Thanks Xeno!!! :mrgreen:

I have eaten chips if you can call them that. Baked Lays. When I've eaten them I got the size you buy in say a 7 Eleven...snack size? And I ate 1/3 of the bag at a time.

Food anxiety simply rots. It won't last and I'll move out of it, but for right now it's an active PTS related issue.

Slava Ukraini!
Mitchell 1919
Nursery

Post by Mitchell 1919 »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:12 pm
Xenophon wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:20 pm

Normal sodium intake: 2300 mgs
Jersey sodium intake: 1500 mgs

I looked up the Utz chips! Our Walmart doesn't have them but Safeway (Albertsons) looks like they do and I'm headed over there tomorrow! So the Utz chips no salt added is 05 mgs for 20 chips. Utz for the win!

Thanks Xeno!!! :mrgreen:

I have eaten chips if you can call them that. Baked Lays. When I've eaten them I got the size you buy in say a 7 Eleven...snack size? And I ate 1/3 of the bag at a time.

Food anxiety simply rots. It won't last and I'll move out of it, but for right now it's an active PTS related issue.
Chips are bad for you.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I'm failing at gaining weight. :o

I did some reading and apparently weight loss can be a feature of Covid 19 either due to loss of taste and smell (not for me) or the body fighting the virus...but researchers don't really know yet. What I read said symptoms of weight loss can be seen in patients up to 6 months out from recovery from C19. :shock: I think that's as long as they've been studying it.

So...I am eating but will try to eat more snacks meals throughout the day. I read a suggestion to eat 5-6 small meals per day to increase calories. Ironically, I've never faced needing to gain weight in my entire life so while my head knows that more calories are needed, I probably eat less because of food anxiety.

And let me tell you guys, no one--positively no one-- wants to hear you lost weight without trying and that you're having a hard time gaining it. I was SICK! :cry: I just needed to get that out of my system.

I'm going to devote myself to it more strongly. And yes, I am still working out but I need to add weights so I can build muscle.

Yours truly,
97 pounds soaking wet
:?

Slava Ukraini!