Making Covenants

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Making Covenants

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:50 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:45 pm

Sure.

1. The New and Everlasting Covenant is the sum total of all gospel covenants and obligations.
You’re claiming this is a quote from the book you say you’re reading. So I checked…
The new and everlasting covenant is the “sum total of all gospel covenants and obligations” we’ve made.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... d?lang=eng

Is actually a verbatim quote from an lds.org article on covenants which in turn is quoting from Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, ed. Bruce R. McConkie, 3 vols. (1954–56), 1:156.

It’s also contained within the free sample available on Amazon via your link. I suggest you pause this thread until you’ve actually read the book properly. Assuming you have it.
2. The greatest blessings we receive from God all focus on strengthening our relationship with Him until our bond has grown so strong that we can be with Him because we have become like Him.
Your second quote is also contained within the free sample available on Amazon via your link.
If you haven’t read this book, I’d recommend it.
How can you recommend something you now admit (and demonstrate) you haven’t actually read? Never mind, it doesn’t matter. You’re a complete waste of time.
Wow, what a damned surprise MG is lying again. Busted. He’ll try to claim this back and forth has to do with him having the book, but it’s not. He literally did what IHAQ described. He didn’t use the book. He did his cursory google search, and used lds.org and skimmed the Amazon sample to put his post together because he hadn’t “muddled through” his suuuuuuuuper large stack of books. Also, note that Mr. Studies Other Religions in Search of Truth confines his ‘research’ to Mormonolgy. :roll:

Troll. Liar. Mopologist.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

I don't have any doubt that MG2.0 has the book. However, I think it's curious that MG2.0 would promote, and ask others to read, something that he, himself, has not read. He does this way too often.

Two Point Oh starts a thread and wants to lead a discussion on a tome he hasn't bothered to read. It's a wonderment that he doesn't see how truly bizarre this is.

edit: Cue MG suggesting that the above is an 'oversimplification'.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

In I Nephi Chapter 19:23-24 Nephi is teaching his brothers and he asks them to liken the scriptures unto themselves. What he was really saying is that the scriptures that they had access to were describing the covenant people of the Lord and their relationship to Him through the Abrahamic Covenant. Thus the scriptures were directly applicable to them as they were also of the House of Israel. We can then make that same application to our own lives as covenant people of the Lord. We also can seek the promised blessings of Abraham. I hadn’t directly considered that this may have been what Nephi was referring to when he asked his brothers (and us) to liken the scriptures unto ourselves.

These are my own thoughts and extrapolations from my reading, not a direct quote this time around.

Found on:

Page 14. Section heading: Understanding Covenants To Understand Scripture.

Marcus showed an interest in having me share some of the interesting insights that I come across as I’m reading Muhlesteiin’s book. I’m assuming she is honest at heart and serious in her desire to learn. When I come across interesting insights and teachings in regards to covenants as I am reading I may share them when I have time.

Excuse me if I choose to discontinue the rather unproductive interactions I’ve let myself get sucked into with those whose intent is simply to argue and tear down.

This book, as I’ve begun reading it thus far, seems to go in the direction of a ‘deep dive’ into the covenantal relationship we can have with God as His chosen people. Some of the other books I’ve read tend towards a degree of superficiality. For this reason I think there may be some here interested in the contents of his book.

I’ll return later with more. In the meantime I will expect that there may be those that continue their rather in unuseful contributions meant to derail and/or find fault. I will more than likely not take the time to interact with the ‘flak’ that is thrown up. There are hopefully some here, including lurkers, that might be interested in the insights provided as I move through the book.

Have a good day!

Later,
MG
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

We also can seek the promised blessings of Abraham. I hadn’t directly considered that this may have been what Nephi was referring to when he asked his brothers (and us) to liken the scriptures unto ourselves.
Had you not read Muhlestein's book, would you have failed to seek the promised blessings of Abraham?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:19 pm

Two Point Oh starts a thread and wants to lead a discussion…
canpakes took the time to lead towards discussion rather than going all nit picky in other directions that have very little to do with discussion and/or understanding of covenantal relationships with God.

Her thoughts stimulated my thinking somewhat although it was evident that she was coming at things from an agnostic/atheistic vantage point. But that’s fine. At least she had thoughts rather than no thoughts that were relevant to the topic.

And she recognizes my thumb!

On to more reading of the book. I’ll contribute more later when I think there is something interesting/useful to share or if I see a comment/contribution that has some merit and it’s worth the time responding to.

Regards,
MG
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:44 pm
Morley wrote:

Two Point Oh starts a thread and wants to lead a discussion…
canpakes took the time to lead towards discussion rather than going all nit picky in other directions that have very little to do with discussion and/or understanding of covenantal relationships with God.

Her thoughts stimulated my thinking somewhat although it was evident that she was coming at things from an agnostic/atheistic vantage point. But that’s fine. At least she had thoughts rather than no thoughts that were relevant to the topic.

And she recognizes my thumb!

On to more reading of the book. I’ll contribute more later when I think there is something interesting/useful to share or if I see a comment/contribution that has some merit and it’s worth the time responding to.

Regards,
MG
QED.

damned MG. :roll:

This, right here, is a perfect example of what I’m talking about.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

Making covenants is a tool to achieve the 'fear of God' notion on which so much of Judeo-Christian religions hinge. The fear is that God will punish even more those who break covenants than those that do the same behavior but had not covenanted beforehand. It is a rationale for God to be more wrathful and vengeful than otherwise. The grist for religions to induce obedience (and payment of tithes and alms) is fear of God. Covenants just ratchet up that fear.
Last edited by Nimrod on Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

dup
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
I don't have any doubt that MG2.0 has the book. However, I think it's curious that MG2.0 would promote, and ask others to read, something that he, himself, has not read. He does this way too often.
Well, that’s progress. 🙂 (first sentence)

I would refer you to the first post of this thread in which I’m pretty much laying out the fact that this is a book that I’ve begun to read and it’s a work in progress. I’m finding it to take a decidedly more academic approach to covenants with God.

As per the wishes of Marcus I will try to add additional commentary on what I’m reading/learning from my reading. As sincere questions are asked I will try and respond to them in bulk (I can’t promise to get to every question) so that I am not having to check in here as often as I have been recently.

Regards,
MG
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:30 pm
In I Nephi Chapter 19:23-24 Nephi is teaching his brothers and he asks them to liken the scriptures unto themselves. What he was really saying is that the scriptures that they had access to were describing the covenant people of the Lord and their relationship to Him through the Abrahamic Covenant. Thus the scriptures were directly applicable to them as they were also of the House of Israel. We can then make that same application to our own lives as covenant people of the Lord. We also can seek the promised blessings of Abraham. I hadn’t directly considered that this may have been what Nephi was referring to when he asked his brothers (and us) to liken the scriptures unto ourselves.

These are my own thoughts and extrapolations from my reading, not a direct quote this time around.

Found on:

Page 14. Section heading: Understanding Covenants To Understand Scripture.

Marcus showed an interest in having me share some of the interesting insights that I come across as I’m reading Muhlesteiin’s book. I’m assuming she is honest at heart and serious in her desire to learn. When I come across interesting insights and teachings in regards to covenants as I am reading I may share them when I have time.

Excuse me if I choose to discontinue the rather unproductive interactions I’ve let myself get sucked into with those whose intent is simply to argue and tear down.

This book, as I’ve begun reading it thus far, seems to go in the direction of a ‘deep dive’ into the covenantal relationship we can have with God as His chosen people. Some of the other books I’ve read tend towards a degree of superficiality. For this reason I think there may be some here interested in the contents of his book.

I’ll return later with more. In the meantime I will expect that there may be those that continue their rather in unuseful contributions meant to derail and/or find fault. I will more than likely not take the time to interact with the ‘flak’ that is thrown up. There are hopefully some here, including lurkers, that might be interested in the insights provided as I move through the book.

Have a good day!

Later,
MG
Isn't that a little presumptuous? Learn from whom? You?

May I make a suggestion? How about stop coming here to preach and instead come here to discuss on an equal level. Try it out. You might get better responses from the crowd. My guess is that most here are more intelligent than you are and perhaps if you are willing to learn, that can happen via actual discussion.

Just stop with the humble superiority already when you are the one who probably should be learning from everyone here.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.