Church comments on SEC settlement

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Church comments on SEC settlement

Post by Kishkumen »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:46 am
Just answer. Why is the church stockpiling a bunch of dough? What nefarious reason can you think of that they would have?

Regards,
MG
So, it’s OK for the church to break the law for decades so long as the purpose was not nefarious?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:46 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:55 am
You didn’t read the SEC document. It’s like riding a carousel with you, man.

- Doc
Just answer. Why is the church stockpiling a bunch of dough? What nefarious reason can you think of that they would have?

Regards,
MG
READ. THE. DAMN. SEC. DOCUMENT. “F”.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Lying to poor people who give you money in good faith is nefarious.

End of line.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:33 pm

End of line.
I posted this also earlier in this thread:

The head of the church's investment management company, Roger Clarke, said that church leaders raised the alarm over knowledge of the fund potentially discouraging members from giving regular donations that are known as tithes.

Two years ago, Clarke said paying to tithe was a sense of commitment much more than the church needing the money for itself. He noted that this was why church leaders did not want to be in a position where their members would not make such contributions.

https://www.hngn.com/articles/246857/20 ... tments.htm
That would be an altruistic motive.

I know that this is beating a dead horse to ask this question again, but here goes:

Did the church actually do anything that was criminally illegal before they ‘got caught’ using the means that they did to keep the large sum of money hidden? Trump has been accused of shenanigans in his wheeling and dealing before he was President but he uses the excuse that he was technically working within the laws as they were written at the time. Is the same thing true here?

A situation where the ends justified the means even if the ends were stretching the limits of legality but still within the law as written.

I just want to get this clear. Then I’ll bow out and leave things to the financial gurus and whiz kids here.

Regards,
MG
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:06 pm
Dr Moore wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:33 pm

End of line.

The head of the church's investment management company, Roger Clarke, said that church leaders raised the alarm over knowledge of the fund potentially discouraging members from giving regular donations that are known as tithes.

Two years ago, Clarke said paying to tithe was a sense of commitment much more than the church needing the money for itself. He noted that this was why church leaders did not want to be in a position where their members would not make such contributions.

https://www.hngn.com/articles/246857/20 ... tments.htm

I know that this is beating a dead horse to ask this question again, but here goes:

Did the church actually do anything that was criminally illegal before they ‘got caught’ using the means that they did to keep the large sum of money hidden? Trump has been accused of shenanigans in his wheeling and dealing before he was President but he uses the excuse that he was technically working within the laws as they were written at the time. Is the same thing true here?

A situation where the ends justified the means even if the ends were stretching the limits of legality but still within the law as written.

I just want to get this clear. Then I’ll bow out and leave things to the financial gurus and whiz kids here.

Regards,
MG
If only there were an entire thread dedicated to the illegality of the Mormon church’s actions. If only there were some sort of, I dunno, document that spelled it out for even the dumbest of Mormorons who can’t use their brains …

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:22 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:06 pm

Regards,
MG
If only there were an entire thread dedicated to the illegality of the Mormon church’s actions. If only there were some sort of, I dunno, document that spelled it out for even the dumbest of Mormorons who can’t use their brains …

- Doc
Well, that didn’t really help me out. Just answer my question. Was there criminal misconduct involved that the SEC report laid out?

Not improprieties.

Illegalities that were criminally prosecutable.

Simple question. Short answer. Less time than it takes to express your heated rhetoric.

Be nice for a change, willya? You don’t have to continue the high and mighty shtick. It’s beneath you.

Regards
MG
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:41 pm
Well, that didn’t really help me out. Just answer my question. Was there criminal misconduct involved that the SEC report laid out?
From page 11 of Form 13F.
The institutional investment manager filing this report and the person by whom it is signed hereby represent that the person signing the report is authorized to submit it, that all information contained herein is true, correct and complete, and that it is understood that all required items, statements, schedules, lists, and tables, are considered integral parts of this form.
This is one of the ways in which the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 was violated by the Mormon church, and its Mammon arm.

ETA: To put a more fine a point on your question, this is punishable (i.e. making false or misleading statements) by up to $10 million in fines, and/or up to 3 years in prison.
Last edited by Doctor Steuss on Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

MG,

If the church had 10 trillion dollars in the bank and was still only spending 1 billion a year on charity would that still be an acceptable use of their funds?

What is the magic number where it becomes money worship?
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:22 pm

- Doc

Not improprieties.

Simple question. Short answer. Less time than it takes to express your heated rhetoric.

Be nice for a change, willya? You don’t have to continue the high and mighty shtick. It’s beneath you.

Regards
MG
It's reasonable to suggest that the church settled with the CES to avoid criminal prosecution. It could have chosen to fight the allegations and take the chance that the senior leaders mentioned in the SEC Order would be found guilty of crimes. The church has deep pockets.

Instead, by settling, the church loses the right to ever say that the allegations were false.

Rather, I believe that settling like this is a bit like "taking the 5th", or pleading "no contest".
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

malkie wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:57 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

Not improprieties.

Regards
MG
It's reasonable to suggest that the church settled with the CES to avoid criminal prosecution. It could have chosen to fight the allegations and take the chance that the senior leaders mentioned in the SEC Order would be found guilty of crimes. The church has deep pockets.

Instead, by settling, the church loses the right to ever say that the allegations were false.

Rather, I believe that settling like this is a bit like "taking the 5th", or pleading "no contest".
The FP would’ve thrown those managers who were only given the title pages to sign under the bus. 100% guarantee it.

- Doc