Faith! What's it good for? Absolutely nothing!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Nimrod
Star B

Faith! What's it good for? Absolutely nothing!

Post by Nimrod »

In a post down thread in "Making Covenants," MG 2.0 observes
alas, it seems as though almost anything connected with faith has a fair amount of uncertainty mixed in.
It is repeated frequently by religionists that god favors those that act on mere faith over those that insist on knowing. In light of that, and MG 2.0's comment as quoted above, I am left with the question:

Why does god favor those that will act on 'a fair amount of uncertainty' than those who want proof? Why does god value those who act on 'a fair amount of uncertainty' over those that require higher degrees of assurety from facts and evidence? What is inherently better about those that act on less information than those that require more information?
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Faith! What's it good for? Absolutely nothing!

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Why does god favor those that will act on 'a fair amount of uncertainty' than those who want proof? Why does god value those who act on 'a fair amount of uncertainty' over those that require higher degrees of assurety from facts and evidence? What is inherently better about those that act on less information than those that require more information?
Its a good question. It speaks well to the arbitrariness of God. Why does God place value in gullibility? For us such a thing is not all that virtuous. But apparently to God it's really important. But why? Why would he want that?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I don’t know why God might like faith, but humans often do reward other humans for taking risks rather than waiting for certainty. As long as the risk-reward ratio isn’t too foolhardy, we admire people who take even big risks. We give them medals, or trophies, or a lot more money than anyone ever gets for playing it safe.

I think we do have reasons for admiring and rewarding risk-taking. Some of those reasons probably don’t apply for God. I doubt God is grateful to anyone for being first in the water so that God isn’t the one to get bitten by a crocodile. But maybe some human reasons for rewarding risk are reasons for God to reward faith, as well.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Faith too often is equated with blind trust and too often is the main weapon in the fraudster's arsenal.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Sure, but the solution to fraud can‘t be for everyone to stop trusting anyone. Trust is too useful. It‘s often a risk, but it‘s one of the risks that pays off, on average.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Physics Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:18 pm
Sure, but the solution to fraud can‘t be for everyone to stop trusting anyone. Trust is too useful. It‘s often a risk, but it‘s one of the risks that pays off, on average.
I suspect many peoples faith is driven by risk mitigation as expressed in Pascal's wager. And that is based on a limitation of trust.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Physics Guy wrote:
I agree that we need to trust each other to a certain extent. I guess I support more of a trust but verify approach, at least on the big things. Of course I need to trust that employees do their work while I'm in court. I need to trust people will obey traffic rules, etc. I need to trust that the person at the taco shop isn't deliberately poisoning my food. However, if some person claims this or that without proof and then demands my time and/or money, that's another matter.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Physics Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:13 pm
I don’t know why God might like faith, but humans often do reward other humans for taking risks rather than waiting for certainty. As long as the risk-reward ratio isn’t too foolhardy, we admire people who take even big risks. We give them medals, or trophies, or a lot more money than anyone ever gets for playing it safe.

I think we do have reasons for admiring and rewarding risk-taking. Some of those reasons probably don’t apply for God. I doubt God is grateful to anyone for being first in the water so that God isn’t the one to get bitten by a crocodile. But maybe some human reasons for rewarding risk are reasons for God to reward faith, as well.
Religious faith ≠ risk taking.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:13 am
Physics Guy wrote:
I agree that we need to trust each other to a certain extent. I guess I support more of a trust but verify approach, at least on the big things. Of course I need to trust that employees do their work while I'm in court. I need to trust people will obey traffic rules, etc. I need to trust that the person at the taco shop isn't deliberately poisoning my food. However, if some person claims this or that without proof and then demands my time and/or money, that's another matter.
But that's exactly what happens every time you go out to eat at a restaurant. They all claim to have great food, do you actually and literally demand they show you all the evidence first before you sit down to eat?