doubtingthomas’s topics MEGATHREAD

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Women eventually stop caring about looks, says Dr. Grande.

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:45 am

What's wrong with a woman remaining single forever and never having kids if that's what she chooses?
Nothing, unless she regrets it later. Most women want children and grandchildren.
Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:15 am
And . . . ? What is your point?
A feminist mag admits that women are too picky for the wrong reasons. Wouldn't the world be a better place if young women (in their 20s) were not too picky?

And yes Dr. Shades, lots of things can make the world a better place.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:20 am
5. You're on ignore and will stay there until and unless you stop your creepy postings.
You don't have to ignore me, I am done. Really.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:20 am
1. I am not a huge fan of Dr. Grande.
Forgive me, I had no idea you changed your mind about him.
I really like Dr. Grande
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=654
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:38 pm
Most women want children and grandchildren.
DT, did you know that if your parents never had children, neither will you?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:38 pm
...Wouldn't the world be a better place if young women (in their 20s) were not too picky?
Nothing new, once again...
... A shared value [of online incels] is to call for systemic change in society ...to abolish females’ oppression
over men....

As a consequence of stigma, online presence, and mental health issues, incels vent their anger and
frustration in online forums. They blame primarily women and feminism, often calling for action to
social change....

https://liu.diva-portal.org/smash/get/d ... TEXT01.pdf
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Prime example of how obsession and cognitive dissonance can affect self control:

DT: “ You don't have to ignore me, I am done. Really.”

And the very next post is by DT.

The brain does all kinds of things under the hood — out of sight of our consciousness. It can form powerful patterns of thoughts and emotions without conscious intent or awareness. And, given the right circumstances, it can probably can happen to any brain.

I watched a friend go through through a similar process with intrusive thoughts. He is an evangelical. At some point, he either has a dream that included a violent image or a violent image just popped into his head one day.

He began to obsess over that image and became very anxious about the notion that the image was a sign he was a bad or evil person. And the more he worried about what the image meant, the more it popped into his head.

Every conversation we had over two or three weeks was dominated by that image and what it meant that he kept seeing it. He went to talk with his pastor several times. He talked with other friends and acquaintances whose opinions we valued. We all told him the same thing: weird thoughts and images pop into peoples brains from time to time. The image that popped into his mind just meant that he was a human being — nothing else.

After reading up on intrusive thoughts, I talked to him about how the simple act of trying to figure out what it meant would signal to his brain that the image was important and lead his brain to picture it more. He would also try to actively push it out of his mind, and I talked to him about how that could also reinforce the importance of the image to his brain.

When he started being unable to sleep, I encouraged to talk to a therapist. I know he did at some point, but may have been for a different reason.

Then, he just stopped bringing it up. I got the impression that the feedback he had gotten from family and friends had led him to conclude that seeing the image was not any indication that he was evil and became less anxious. Or he was simply distracted by something else that captured his attention. At any rate, once he managed to disrupt that feedback loop, the obsession evaporated fairly quickly.

The things brains can do are both amazing and scary.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:38 pm
Prime example of how obsession and cognitive dissonance can affect self control:

The brain does all kinds of things under the hood — out of sight of our consciousness. It can form powerful patterns of thoughts and emotions without conscious intent or awareness. And, given the right circumstances, it can probably can happen to any brain.

I watched a friend go through through a similar process with intrusive thoughts. He is an evangelical. At some point, he either has a dream that included a violent image or a violent image just popped into his head one day.

He began to obsess over that image and became very anxious about the notion that the image was a sign he was a bad or evil person. And the more he worried about what the image meant, the more it popped into his head.

Every conversation we had over two or three weeks was dominated by that image and what it meant that he kept seeing it. He went to talk with his pastor several times. He talked with other friends and acquaintances whose opinions we valued. We all told him the same thing: weird thoughts and images pop into peoples brains from time to time. The image that popped into his mind just meant that he was a human being — nothing else.

After reading up on intrusive thoughts, I talked to him about how the simple act of trying to figure out what it meant would signal to his brain that the image was important and lead his brain to picture it more. He would also try to actively push it out of his mind, and I talked to him about how that could also reinforce the importance of the image to his brain.

When he started being unable to sleep, I encouraged to talk to a therapist. I know he did at some point, but may have been for a different reason.

Then, he just stopped bringing it up. I got the impression that the feedback he had gotten from family and friends had led him to conclude that seeing the image was not any indication that he was evil and became less anxious. Or he was simply distracted by something else that captured his attention. At any rate, once he managed to disrupt that feedback loop, the obsession evaporated fairly quickly.

Don't know if Invisibilia is already in your rotation or not, but there was a really cool episode back in 2015 on this topic, and the difference in therapeutic approaches (i.e. Jungian-esque is no bueno) when it comes to OCD and dark thoughts.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:50 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:38 pm

Don't know if Invisibilia is already in your rotation or not, but there was a really cool episode back in 2015 on this topic, and the difference in therapeutic approaches (i.e. Jungian-esque is no bueno) when it comes to OCD and dark thoughts.
The original Invisibilia was one of my favorite podcasts at the time. I’d forgotten all about that episode, but you’ve “refreshed my recollection” as they say. It’s very likely that it was that podcast that led me to read up on intrusive thoughts when my friend began to obsess. Thanks for the reminder. Lulu Miller is one of my faves.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:04 pm
Nothing new, once again...
... A shared value [of online incels] is to call for systemic change in society ...to abolish females’ oppression
over men....
:roll:

I shared an article from a female empowerment magazine, not an incel blog. You can't deny the fact that there are big problems, read the article https://www.eviemagazine.com/post/datin ... ng-reasons

Your confirmation bias is getting old. Incels likely talk about some of the same problems that I point out, but it doesn't mean that I follow them. I don't follow extremists or misogynists.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:55 pm

I do appreciate your efforts in trying to help me. I will soon see a doctor and I will never again create another thread about these topics. I'll stop.

I respond because Marcus is making some serious and false accusations against me. She's accusing me of following incel extremists, that's a very serious accusation.

Why don't you call her out on that? There's no evidence that I follow the incels. This is BS man! It's so wrong on many levels. Her accusations are serious enough to ruin the life of someone.

Marcus has a very nasty and manipulative strategy and you are not calling her out on that. Why do you only call me out? This is not a game man. Don't ruin the respect I have for you.

If I want to stop being anonymous someday, that will be impossible thanks to Marcus.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:50 pm
Same to you man. Why are you allowing Marcus to make wild accusations based on some stupid confirmation bias? This is so sick.