Mike Parker: The Ultimate Mopologetic Bootlick?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: Mike Parker: The Ultimate Mopologetic Bootlick?

Post by Dr Moore »

By default the tank doesn’t get any more or less loot than the rest. The raid organizer/leader chooses who gets the loot. Often it is allocated on a roll/pass basis, but some raid leaders opt for “master looter” settings. In that case, the leader chooses specifically who gets what. Some leaders, “loot ninjas,” will take the lion’s share for themselves. Those types tend not to last long because word travels fast and the “loot ninja” reputation never fades.

People play tank characters for two reasons. Necessity, and social status.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Great post, professor. Yet again, your unbiased academic acumen is on full display to light the world.
Make no mistake: the Mopologists’ friendship is conditional. The second that Mike Parker wavers in his role as “cannon fodder,” he will be discarded into the trash bin.
I had a conversation over the weekend with somebody who works in the field of Mopologetics, and we discuss the "one way street" phenomena of a certain key Mopologist blogger. Weird to be treated to your exposition this morning.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Chubby Steve Peter Pan
13 hours ago edited
Peter Parker: Leaders of church embraced a Latin American setting for the Book of Mormon by at least the early 1960s.

Have you heard of the first Watson letter?

Share ›

DanielPeterson Chubby Steve
8 hours ago edited
I've heard of it, CS. And I'm aware of the elaborate mythology that your ilk have created surrounding it.

Don't bring it up here again if you hope to continue trolling here.

Sufficient is the Peterson Obsession Board unto the evils thereof. I won't permit you to hijack my blog.

Kudos to chubby Steve for the “Peter Parker” reference. I think it went straight over Dan’s head though.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:33 pm
Chubby Steve Peter Pan
13 hours ago edited
Peter Parker: Leaders of church embraced a Latin American setting for the Book of Mormon by at least the early 1960s.

Share ›

8 hours ago edited
I've heard of it, CS. And I'm aware of the elaborate mythology that your ilk have created surrounding it.

Sufficient is the Peterson Obsession Board unto the evils thereof. I won't permit you to hijack my blog.

Kudos to chubby Steve for the “Peter Parker” reference. I think it went straight over Dan’s head though.
LOL!

Also, since when is mentioning the Watson Letter an offense worthy of banning? CS must have hit a huge nerve.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:13 pm
By default the tank doesn’t get any more or less loot than the rest. The raid organizer/leader chooses who gets the loot. Often it is allocated on a roll/pass basis, but some raid leaders opt for “master looter” settings. In that case, the leader chooses specifically who gets what. Some leaders, “loot ninjas,” will take the lion’s share for themselves. Those types tend not to last long because word travels fast and the “loot ninja” reputation never fades.

People play tank characters for two reasons. Necessity, and social status.
Interesting. It makes me wonder: When DCP paid a visit to Hurricane, UT, in order to dine with "friends," was he the one who picked up the tab? Or, instead, were the "friends" so delighted that the famous "Tank"--taking time away from his extensive and important travels--would come to see *them*, that they happily paid for the Tank's meal?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:33 pm
Chubby Steve Peter Pan
13 hours ago edited

Share ›

8 hours ago edited

I'd be interested to see clear evidence that "Leaders of the Church embraced a Latin American setting for the Book of Mormon." Today they don't take any official position *at all*, and I'm sure part of the reason for that is all of the FARMS shenanigans, along with Ferguson's loss of faith, and other things. There may be *suggestions* that LDS leaders entertained the notion that the Book of Mormon took place in Latin America, but to say they "embraced" it is Mopologetic exaggeration.
Last edited by Doctor Scratch on Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It’s a very salient point that chubby Steve makes. But it gave DCP such a black eye that he cannot allow it to be made on his blog.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

so I am confused now. i looked up that gospel essay on Book of Mormon geography and it says this
The Church does not take a position on the specific geographic locations of Book of Mormon events in the ancient Americas. Speculation on the geography of the Book of Mormon may mislead instead of enlighten; such a study can be a distraction from its divine purpose.

Individuals may have their own opinions regarding Book of Mormon geography and other such matters about which the Lord has not spoken. However, the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles urge leaders and members not to advocate those personal theories in any setting or manner that would imply either prophetic or Church support for those theories. All parties should strive to avoid contention on these matters.
But now, Parker has posted this
From 1963 to 1981, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints published a paperback edition of the Book of Mormon with a photograph of a gold angel Moroni statue on its cover:

[photo: Book of Mormon 1963–1981 missionary edition cover]

This was the standard inexpensive edition that was printed in large quantities and given by missionaries to investigators.

Like the one with the dark blue cover that’s been published since 1981, the earlier edition contained photographs of several paintings of Book of Mormon scenes by Arnold Friberg.

It also contained several pages of photographs of ancient sites, murals, textiles, and crafts that demonstrated the existence of advanced, complex, ancient American civilizations. The first page in the series had two photographs of the hill Cumorah, “where Joseph Smith obtained the gold plates from which the Book of Mormon was translated.”

[photos posted: Book of Mormon 1963–1981 missionary edition photos
page 1 hill Cumorah Book of Mormon 1963–1981 missionary edition photos
page 2 Persian gold tablet 4th century B.C. Book of Mormon 1963–1981 missionary edition photos
page 3 copper & bronze tools, gold plates Peru Book of Mormon 1963–1981 missionary edition photos
page 4 textiles from Peru, Egyptian-like murals in Mexico
page 5 Monte Alban
page 6 Temple of the Cross in Mexico]

None of these images proves that the Book of Mormon took place in Mesoamerica or South America.

However, they do clearly demonstrate that, since at least the early 1960s, leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have considered Mesoamerica and South America to be potential locations for Book of Mormon events.

This continues to be backed up by statements made by President Russell M. Nelson, the current (2023) president of the Church.

—Peter Pan

https://www.nevillenevilleland.com/2023 ... ormon.html
the blue phrase above is linked to a previous post of his:
This week President Russell M. Nelson is on tour in Latin America. On his first stop in Guatemala, he told 22,000 members of the Church who had gathered to hear him:

"The lands of Central America and South America are studded with ruins—remnants—of ancient civilizations. One wonders what life must have been like among those people.

Add to that the message on the title page of the Book of Mormon, that it is “written to the Lamanites, who are a remnant of the house of Israel,” we not only learn more about those ancient inhabitants, but we learn that the Lord cares for His children in this hemisphere, both in ancient times, and in modern times."

(emphasis added)

President Nelson—the prophet, seer, and revelator, and president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints—testified to the Saints in Guatemala that it is through the Book of Mormon that “we…learn more about those ancient inhabitants” of Central and South America.

Does Jonathan Neville support the teachings of the prophets, as he continually claims?
https://www.nevillenevilleland.com/2019 ... n-and.html
It makes me wonder if the purpose of the nevillE-Neville land blog is to make mopologetic arguments that clearly violate the essays that the lds church puts out, but just do it one step further out.

I highlighted a segment of the essay above that Parker clearly violates, but he seems to be arguing that since lds pres Nelson also violates it, it must be okay for him to do it also.
However, the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles urge leaders and members not to advocate those personal theories in any setting or manner that would imply either prophetic or Church support for those theories.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:48 pm

I'd be interested to see clear evidence that "Leaders of the Church embraced a Latin American setting for the Book of Mormon." Today they don't take any official position *at all*, and I'm sure part of the reason for that is all of the FARMS shenanigans, along with Ferguson's loss of faith, and other things. There may be *suggestions* that LDS leaders entertained the notion that the Book of Mormon took place in Latin America, but to say they "embraced" it is Mopologetic exaggeration.
See my post above, I posted it before I saw yours. In it, I quote Peter Parker rather enthusiastically arguing the mopolegetic exaggeration that "they 'embraced' it."
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Those are good point, Marcus. And I see that Dr. Peterson and David Kent are both apparently insinuating that Grant Hardy is advocating views that will lead to apostasy:
Shaquille Oatmeal wrote:There is much wisdom in Professor Grant Hardy’s comment, “Can faith in the Book of Mormon as inspired fiction be a saving faith? And I think this answer is, absolutely.”
Daniel Peterson wrote:I think it's a suboptimal view, and that, ultimately, it doesn't make sense of the data and is all too often a step on the road to apostasy, but I don't think it impossible that people who doubt the historicity of the Book of Mormon might nonetheless be heirs of salvation. I've said so for quite a while.
Has he? I think he would have a very difficult time backing up that assertion. His position has always been that Book of Mormon = historical is the only acceptable conclusion, and that doubting this means that the whole story of the Restoration will fall to pieces.
David Kent wrote:Elder Kim Clark's response to that question was the opposite. I'm personally inclined to embrace Elder Clark's position. Indeed, in my personal exploration, I can't reconcile the "inspired fiction" narrative as anything other than a dangerous spiritually perilous position. Just my 2 cents worth. Oh, I will say that I agree with Eric Larson regarding 2FCs dogmatic nincompoopery.
And:
David Kent wrote:Interesting observations. You've obviously thought a lot about it. I was present when Grant Hardy was asked the question. I've pondered that his answer at length since then and come to the conclusion for me, at least, that a non-historical view of the Book of Mormon requires throwing out so much of what Joseph Smith and prophets have taught and said about the coming forth and teachings of the book. For me it stands the reality of Moroni's appearances and directions on end. Hence, my conclusion that its contribution to a saving faith is essential. For me, just about everything crumbles to rubble without it. So, I find the idea of a non-historical Book of Mormon to be rubbish to a proper understanding of the restoration. Fortunately, I'm not the one making the judgement as to the whether someone who who holds that position can have the faith necessary to receive exhalation.