Non-Mormons' opinions of LDS church isn't helped by knowing Mormons

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Non-Mormons' opinions of LDS church isn't helped by knowing Mormons

Post by Res Ipsa »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:36 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:05 pm
I really wish Pew would post the sampling error in the captions to their graphs.
That would be a nice idea. Here is the full report link:

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/20 ... catholics/

Here is the report's page about methodologies. Excerpt:
Data in this report is drawn from the panel wave conducted Sept. 13-18, 2022. A total of 10,588 panelists responded out of 11,687 who were sampled, for a response rate of 91%. The cumulative response rate accounting for nonresponse to the recruitment surveys and attrition is 3%. The break-off rate among panelists who logged on to the survey and completed at least one item is 1%. The margin of sampling error for the full sample of 10,588 respondents is plus or minus 1.5 percentage points.
Thanks. I know the figures are there, they just tend to put them in appendices or buried in the methodology section. It's easy to find the sampling error for the whole group, but it can be a lot bigger for subsamples like Mormons (depends on whether the subgroup was oversampled to reduce the error)
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Sure. Although for this question, the sub-sample is non-Mormons so that's almost the entire sample. Unlikely to be even 2 percent margin of error.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:34 pm
Sure. Although for this question, the sub-sample is non-Mormons so that's almost the entire sample. Unlikely to be even 2 percent margin of error.
***bangs head repeatedly on desk ***

Thanks.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

It looks like a lot of people in this poll have met Louis C. Midgley, William Schryver or DCP.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Re: Non-Mormons' opinions of LDS church is harmed by knowing Mormons

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:43 pm
My brain is having trouble with the graphic for some reason.

So, Jews, Atheists, and Muslims are the only groups (of those listed) where knowing a person in that group results in a reduction in unfavorable opinion of the group? Or am I confusing it?
Every group except for Mormons had higher net favorability if respondents knew someone from it.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:25 am
It looks like a lot of people in this poll have met Louis C. Midgley, William Schryver or DCP.
Don’t forget about Mike Parker!
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:01 am
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:43 pm
My brain is having trouble with the graphic for some reason.

So, Jews, Atheists, and Muslims are the only groups (of those listed) where knowing a person in that group results in a reduction in unfavorable opinion of the group? Or am I confusing it?
Every group except for Mormons had higher net favorability if respondents knew someone from it.
This belongs unironically in DCP’s Hitchens file.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

drumdude wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:03 am
Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:01 am

This belongs unironically in DCP’s Hitchens file.
I'm afraid not. That file is only for witty responses to 20-year-old statements made by a guy who was never regarded as influential on atheist philosophy.
JohnW
Valiant A

Post by JohnW »

Thanks for posting this. I always love looking at Pew Research when they talk about Mormonism. I agree with Nimrod's assessment. The people I come in contact with tend to have a terribly negative view of atheists. Atheists and Muslims are the two groups I find myself defending in conversations with people, usually because the attitudes toward them are way off.

The attitude I sense from random people toward Latter-day Saints would be best described as, "Mostly harmless."