Backyard Professor Responds to David Bednar: Does Mormonism Have the Spiritual Gifts?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
slskipper
Sunbeam

Re: Backyard Professor Responds to David Bednar: Does Mormonism Have the Spiritual Gifts?

Post by slskipper »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:21 am
slskipper wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:21 am
I will forever regret that I was too naïve to understand Dave when I was his home teacher many years ago. It would have explained a lot.
By all means, spill the beans. What's he like in real life?
When I knew him, he seemed like a pretty innovative person regarding the church. He was a grad student at the time, in Stephen Covey's group, and from what I recall he envisaged organizational-like methods for evaluating members' spiritual progress. Like I said, I was quite naïve, but at the time I thought it sounded impressive, compared to the vague emotion-based criteria usually employed.

He gave a very touching talk in Sacrament Meeting emphasizing the value of just being kind to others.

He also planned to be the middleman between his sons and the bishop regarding personal habits, if you know what I mean.

That's about all I can come up with. I know it's not much. Thanks.
Morley
God

Re: Backyard Professor Responds to David Bednar: Does Mormonism Have the Spiritual Gifts?

Post by Morley »

JohnW wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:39 am
Yes, I do have lots of thoughts on the SEC thing, but I'm not sure if they have quite gelled in my mind. Also, it may be a little too soon to have a serious discussion about it on this board.
Thanks. Looking forward to reading them, when you do share.