Embracing Ignorance

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Embracing Ignorance

Post by Some Schmo »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:05 am
It reminded me that I should look into what the term ought to be for a person who proclaims themselves to be primarily libertarian who ends up just knowing a word that makes it sound like they have political views when what they really have is intensely myopic self-interest.
Egocism? Meopathy?
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:23 am
I think people are doing other things and that is probably why they seem to be "hiding" it from your perspective. Contrast that with the NFL that averaged 16.7 million per regular season game. https://www.statista.com/statistics/289 ... ewers-usa/

Maybe social media should be the focus here instead of fox news? Facebook has 2.9 billion monthly active users. WhatsApp, Messenger and Instagram each have over 1 billion active users per month. https://www.statista.com/statistics/272 ... -of-users/
Excellent points.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:39 am
So I guess I don't know where I was going with that. Maybe that it could be a blessing if folks keep the crazy undercover for their meet ups.
That was really interesting, honor. I've had similar encounters.

Maybe if you meet someone willing to talk like a Trumpublican, most are aware enough to tone it down for an unknown audience. It actually kind of reminds me of the way I'd hear Mormons talk to non-Mormons about Mormonism: toning it all down, taking the edge off, making it sound normal and innocuous.

It's almost as if on some level, they are aware of how damned insane it all sounds.

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:26 am
It's almost as if on some level, they are aware of how damned insane it all sounds.
It is like they realize their chipmunk costume is best reserved for religious role-playing.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:17 am
honorentheos wrote:
It reminded me that I should look into what the term ought to be for a person who proclaims themselves to be primarily libertarian who ends up just knowing a word that makes it sound like they have political views when what they really have is intensely myopic self-interest.
Egocism? Meopathy?
I like where this is heading. I'm thinking, what if we give them a political party suffix? Egocrat? Meoplican? Myoptican...soliptitarian...hmmm
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:50 am
Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:17 am

Egocism? Meopathy?
I like where this is heading. I'm thinking, what if we give them a political party suffix? Egocrat? Meoplican? Myoptican...soliptitarian...hmmm
Those were all great ideas. I love soliptitarian.

Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Libertarian is the accurate word for people like that. There are people who have built philosophies of libertarianism, but overwhelmingly people who ascribe that label to themselves are just selfish ignorant people.

There's a quote, whose provenance I don't know, that sums up the attitude very well:
Libertarians are like house cats. Completely dependent on a system they neither understand nor appreciate and fiercely confident of their own independence.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:31 pm
Libertarian is the accurate word for people like that. There are people who have built philosophies of libertarianism, but overwhelmingly people who ascribe that label to themselves are just selfish ignorant people.

There's a quote, whose provenance I don't know, that sums up the attitude very well:
Libertarians are like house cats. Completely dependent on a system they neither understand nor appreciate and fiercely confident of their own independence.
LOL

That's awesome.

Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

10013340_592720664143434_711190425_n.jpg
10013340_592720664143434_711190425_n.jpg (125.23 KiB) Viewed 179 times
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:

Fibbertarians?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.