Secular folks should worry.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: Secular folks should worry.

Post by dastardly stem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:52 pm
Disappointing.
Yes. Very much agreed.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I disagree with the entire premise of this thread. If there really are problems, then they are the concern of all, not just “secular folks.”
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Don Bradley wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:50 am

Studies find that religious people give more to both religious and secular causes than do the non-religious.
True, but technology is advancing faster in California and Washington state. Religion isn't good for transhumanism. Stem Cell Research always slows down thanks to religion.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:50 pm
The data show that religious younger Americans are more than twice as likely to do community work as their nonreligious Gen Z counterparts
However, nonreligious people aren't necessarily atheists or agnostics. A lot of nonreligious people believe in Jesus Christ.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:14 pm
Hi Don. Always good to see you.
He's a transhumanist, I am not sure why he is defending religion.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:26 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Transhumanist's want to have their cake and eat it to. They want the benefit of being rational scientific minded people while simultaneously hijacking the theists narrative when it suits them.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:26 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Don's a Mormon Transhumanist? When did this happen?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:42 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:47 pm
We just sent a donation to the Ukrainian war efforts through Amazon donations set up for that purpose. Monthly contributions to Water Aid. Operation Smile at Christmas. Community service in schools. There are many ways to contribute to civil society.
Outstanding. I imagine you'd have the same list if you were a secular humanist. Don't you think?

By the way, I'm having a tough time finding how to donate to Ukrainian war efforts through Amazon. Can you provide a link?
Sure.

https://www.razomforukraine.org/donate/ ... a548020f6a

Scroll down to:

SHOP RAZOM'S AMAZON WISHLIST

Let me know if that works for you.

RAZOM is a ‘boots on the ground’ way of donating to the Ukrainian effort to help the people displaced and/or suffering because of the Russian invasion.

If I was a secular humanist I can imagine I would have made the same donation. As a secular humanist, however, I’m not sure that I would have any firm bedrock principles and truths that I could reliably pass on to my children and grandchildren that would lead them towards continuing altruistic behavior out of love for their neighbor and concern for their well being.

I could give it a go, I guess, but there aren’t any reliable ‘track records’ on a large scale across the breadth and depth of humanity that would allow for secular humanism to be the ‘go to’ philosophy for encouraging and ongoing large scale community of like minded folks who’s main concern is others rather than themselves.

Religion and a belief in God and accountability to Him have always been the key catalyst for encouraging people to look beyond themselves in a spirit of love. Secularism, unless there was an agreed upon system of ‘spreading the love’, so to speak, would very possibly over time add to the natural tendency of human beings to choose the path of least resistance. Entropy. Dissolution. What religious folks still call sin.

Anyway, there’s the link. We may both have something that we can call a common good as we participate together. 🙂

Regards,
MG
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:26 pm
Morley wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:42 pm

Outstanding. I imagine you'd have the same list if you were a secular humanist. Don't you think?

By the way, I'm having a tough time finding how to donate to Ukrainian war efforts through Amazon. Can you provide a link?
Sure.

https://www.razomforukraine.org/donate/ ... a548020f6a

Scroll down to:

SHOP RAZOM'S AMAZON WISHLIST

Let me know if that works for you.

RAZOM is a ‘boots on the ground’ way of donating to the Ukrainian effort to help the people displaced and/or suffering because of the Russian invasion.

If I was a secular humanist I can imagine I would have made the same donation. As a secular humanist, however, I’m not sure that I would have any firm bedrock principles and truths that I could reliably pass on to my children and grandchildren that would lead them towards continuing altruistic behavior out of love for their neighbor and concern for their well being.

I could give it a go, I guess, but there aren’t any reliable ‘track records’ on a large scale across the breadth and depth of humanity that would allow for secular humanism to be the ‘go to’ philosophy for encouraging and ongoing large scale community of like minded folks who’s main concern is others rather than themselves.

Religion and a belief in God and accountability to Him have always been the key catalyst for encouraging people to look beyond themselves in a spirit of love. Secularism, unless there was an agreed upon system of ‘spreading the love’, so to speak, would very possibly over time add to the natural tendency of human beings to choose the path of least resistance. Entropy. Dissolution. What religious folks still call sin.

Anyway, there’s the link. We may both have something that we can call a common good as we participate together. 🙂

Regards,
MG
that I could reliably pass on to my children and grandchildren that would lead them towards continuing altruistic behavior out of love for their neighbor and concern for their well being.
Neither did Tiktaalik but yet here we are.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
...If I was a secular humanist I can imagine I would have made the same donation. As a secular humanist, however, I’m not sure that I would have any firm bedrock principles and truths that I could reliably pass on to my children and grandchildren that would lead them towards continuing altruistic behavior out of love for their neighbor and concern for their well being.

Religion and a belief in God and accountability to Him have always been the key catalyst for encouraging people to look beyond themselves in a spirit of love. Secularism, unless there was an agreed upon system of ‘spreading the love’, so to speak, would very possibly over time add to the natural tendency of human beings to choose the path of least resistance. Entropy. Dissolution. What religious folks still call sin...
Sometimes you just have to laugh at speeches like this. What a limited and limiting view of humankind. Not to mention you don't even seem to know the definition of secular humanism, let alone have a grasp on the very long history of the horrors done by humans to other humans in the name of 'religion and a belief in God.'

In reality, even you may not have beliefs this ridiculous, which is why I suspect you have posted such an ignorant viewpoint for your usual reasons, to try to get a rise out of people who have left your religion. It's a weird hobby, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:04 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
...If I was a secular humanist I can imagine I would have made the same donation. As a secular humanist, however, I’m not sure that I would have any firm bedrock principles and truths that I could reliably pass on to my children and grandchildren that would lead them towards continuing altruistic behavior out of love for their neighbor and concern for their well being.

Religion and a belief in God and accountability to Him have always been the key catalyst for encouraging people to look beyond themselves in a spirit of love. Secularism, unless there was an agreed upon system of ‘spreading the love’, so to speak, would very possibly over time add to the natural tendency of human beings to choose the path of least resistance. Entropy. Dissolution. What religious folks still call sin...
Sometimes you just have to laugh at speeches like this. What a limited and limiting view of humankind. Not to mention you don't even seem to know the definition of secular humanism, let alone have a grasp on the very long history of the horrors done by humans to other humans in the name of 'religion and a belief in God.'

In reality, even you may not have beliefs this ridiculous, which is why I suspect you have posted such an ignorant viewpoint for your usual reasons, to try to get a rise out of people who have left your religion. It's a weird hobby, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
MG's bedrock principles include worshiping a man who married 14 year old girls behind his wife's back.