What Does "Woke" mean?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
hauslern
1st Counselor

What Does "Woke" mean?

Post by hauslern »

Following the news and seeing how much the word "woke" is used I found it hard to understand what the conservatives meant using this as a means of put down. Even now the bank failure is used to be cause by "wokeness" DeSantis states that Florida is where woke comes to die. The population of Florida is skewed to the older demographic so I wonder if they really understand it. Also he wants to withdraw from Ukraine. Putin must not believe his eyes.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... vatives-us

"At the beginning of the pandemic, she trended on Twitter after declaring that your grandmother dying of coronavirus wasn’t her problem. “You can call me a Grandma killer,” she tweeted. “I’m not sacrificing my home, food on the table, all of our docs and dentists, every form of pleasure (museums, zoos, restaurants), all my kids’ teachers in order to make other people comfortable. If you want to stay locked down, do. I’m not.” Trying not to kill grandmas? Woke!

Eventually Mandel, or “Grandma killer”, did manage to give Gray a definition of sorts. “I mean, woke is something that’s very hard to define,” Mandel said. “… It is sort of the understanding that we need to – totally reimagine and redo society in order to create hierarchies of oppression … um.” She paused. “Sorry. I-it’s hard to explain in a 15-second sound bite.”
Res Ipsa
God

Re: What Does "Woke" mean?

Post by Res Ipsa »

It's just another example of this:
Christopher Rufo, a prominent opponent of critical race theory, in March acknowledged intentionally using the term to describe a range of race-related topics and conjure a negative association.

“We have successfully frozen their brand — ‘critical race theory’ — into the public conversation and are steadily driving up negative perceptions,” wrote Rufo, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, a conservative think tank. “We will eventually turn it toxic, as we put all of the various cultural insanities under that brand category. The goal is to have the public read something crazy in the newspaper and immediately think ‘critical race theory.’”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... s-schools/

Replace "critical race theory" with "woke."
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:11 pm
It's just another example of this:
Christopher Rufo, a prominent opponent of critical race theory, in March acknowledged intentionally using the term to describe a range of race-related topics and conjure a negative association.

“We have successfully frozen their brand — ‘critical race theory’ — into the public conversation and are steadily driving up negative perceptions,” wrote Rufo, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, a conservative think tank. “We will eventually turn it toxic, as we put all of the various cultural insanities under that brand category. The goal is to have the public read something crazy in the newspaper and immediately think ‘critical race theory.’”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... s-schools/

Replace "critical race theory" with "woke."
They've been doing the same thing for decades. "Liberal" wasn't always a 4 letter word.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Agreed. Rufo was simply the guy who described the tactic. I always found it hilarious that every Democrat who ran for President just happened to be the most "liberal" candidate in the history of history. :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

It's an alternative grammatical construction, like the impersonal passive. "It is done" is an alternative construction for, "One does it."

"You are woke" is an alternative construction for, "I am frightened."
I was a teenager before it was cool.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

hauslern wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:22 am
What does "woke" mean?
Some people claim it refers to being aware of "social justice" issues. But in practice it's seems to be a grift by race baiters who want to blame white people for all their problems without acknowledging their own responsibility; minimize white people, esp older white men, and to generate general racial tension without providing any realistic solutions to economic problems of the under classes.
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
DaveIsHere
Teacher

Post by DaveIsHere »

Tell me all of you are white without saying it.

P.S."Critical Race Theory" is just teach US history as it actually happened, you racist hicks.
If a Giant's pronouns are "fee, fi, fi, and fum", does that mean short people's pronouns are "oompa, loompa, and doopity-doo"?
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

DaveIsHere wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:07 am

P.S."Critical Race Theory" is just teach US history as it actually happened, you racist hicks.
Um, well, no
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
DaveIsHere
Teacher

Post by DaveIsHere »

bill4long wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:36 pm
DaveIsHere wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:07 am

Um, well, no
Um, well, back yourself son
If a Giant's pronouns are "fee, fi, fi, and fum", does that mean short people's pronouns are "oompa, loompa, and doopity-doo"?