Society is discriminating against boys, says Forbes. Brookings.edu says, "boys are falling behind"

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Society is discriminating against boys, says Forbes. Brookings.edu says, "boys are falling behind"

Post by doubtingthomas »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:48 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:21 am
And the gap keeps growing.
Considering that this reversal in the historical trend has only been for several years - with the trend otherwise showing men to have been ‘well gapped’ above women for many decades - just what kind of dramatic action are you suggesting that we take, and why?
Read Forbes and Brookings.

Brooking calls for initiatives to help male students.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Society is discriminating against boys, says Forbes. Brookings.edu says, "boys are falling behind"

Post by doubtingthomas »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:52 am
canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:41 am
There seems to be at least one data source that contradicts your assertion:
Nope, it's talking about single parent family income.

You haven't showed any data about young men and young women that controls for factors like race.

And you haven't showed the median income of childless young men and childless young women in 2022 or 2023.

I agree single moms without a college degree do makes less, the government (and child support) already helps them a lot. I am not against child support payments or food stamps.
Let me know when you have the data.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:55 am
canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:48 am
Considering that this reversal in the historical trend has only been for several years - with the trend otherwise showing men to have been ‘well gapped’ above women for many decades - just what kind of dramatic action are you suggesting that we take, and why?
Read Forbes and Brookings.

Brooking calls for initiatives to help male students.
No, it doesn't. You really need to stop misrepresenting your links.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:01 am
This important topic deserves a separate thread.
Why is it important? Maybe the world is changing and it doesn't matter. Or it is an evolutionary bottleneck where the urbanization of the post-war West is proving different fitness types are needed for certain kinds of roles in society, and those that require degrees happen to be better suited to people with more estrogen than testosterone?

Again, even if the studies show what you say they show, why is it an important topic that is cause for concern? Change can just be observed. Walk or be dragged, as the saying goes.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:52 am
canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:41 am
There seems to be at least one data source that contradicts your assertion:
Nope, it's talking about single parent family income.
You’re right. I focused on single parents because I misread your statement. I’ll owe you one round of the beverage of your choice, bound by local laws and availability, for that.
You haven't showed any data about young men and young women that controls for factors like race.

And you haven't showed the median income of childless young men and childless young women in 2022 or 2023.

I agree single moms without a college degree do makes less, the government (and child support) already helps them a lot. I am not against child support payments or food stamps.
I’m not convinced that ‘society’ discriminates against boys based on college enrollment numbers alone. You may want to focus more cleanly on the issue of college enrollment and completion as opposed to ‘society’. You’re not even following your own criteria about ‘controls’ for any factors with such a sweeping accusation.

Past that, you’ve decided to take a zero-sum approach to the issue, by starting off with this:
There are many reason why boys are falling behind, one is that boys are less likely to get help from their peers in school. Female students always get a lot of help from their male friends. It's true, and there's nothing wrong with that. I personally don't have a problem with the fact that female students get more help in school. I don't believe that men and women should be treated equally, I do believe women should have some advantages in life.
Your first sentence is unexplained; your second sentence is pure conjecture, and you then seem to be tilting towards hinting that the overall issue with men is somehow connected to something that women college students are doing. What’s this all about?

You haven’t yet offered any information on what might be driving lower enrollment - or completion - rates for males.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:10 am

Hmmm.
I'll retract everything I said if you can prove that young men have a higher median income than young women, but make sure you control for race.

I do agree that single moms are making a lot less, but that's not the case with childless young women.

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:29 am
Why is it important?
I guess it's not important, and neither is the opioid crisis.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:36 am
canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:10 am

Hmmm.
I'll retract everything I said if you can prove that young men have a higher median income than young women, but make sure you control for race.
I don’t have a need for you to retract anything. What’s that all about?

But, it’s interesting that you are requiring a control. Would you care to supply your data source?

Regarding the graph that I posted: take care to notice that it’s not representing college enrollment; rather, it addresses the percentage of the population that holds a 4 year degree. If society was so blatantly discriminatory towards men, I’d expect that the gap would be much more excessive in favor of women, by now. ; )
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:33 am

You’re right. I focused on single parents because I misread your statement.
:lol:

Everyone misreads what I say, that happens all the time. I appreciate your honesty.
canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:33 am

I’m not convinced that ‘society’ discriminates against boys based on college enrollment numbers alone. You may want to focus more cleanly on the issue of college enrollment and completion as opposed to ‘society’. You’re not even following your own criteria about ‘controls’ for any factors with such a sweeping accusation.
Have you read the Brookings and Forbes articles? The Forbes article talks about the many programs that "discriminate against men".

Anyways, you should watch it, "MEETING THE ENEMY A feminist comes to terms with the Men's Rights movement | Cassie Jaye | TEDxMarin"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WMuzhQXJoY

But just to clarify, I do not agree with the Men's Rights movement because I do think women deserve several advantages and privileges.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:46 am
Regarding the graph that I posted: take care to notice that it’s not representing college enrollment; rather, it addresses the percentage of the population that holds a 4 year degree. If society was so blatantly discriminatory towards men, I’d expect that the gap would be much more excessive in favor of women, by now. ; )
But a lot of men who don't have a college degree end up in jail or end up with an opioid addiction.
canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:46 am
But, it’s interesting that you are requiring a control. Would you care to supply your data source?
I require control because we need to compare apples to apples. Do you have any evidence that the median income of white young women is lower than the median income of white young men?

As for a source, if you look back in 2010, "Study Says Young, Childless Women Earn More Than Men". It's a lot worse today.

https://abcnews.go.com/WN/reverse-gende ... d=11538401

Now, I agree the Motherhood penalty is a real issue, but nobody is forcing people to get married and have children. Just because the motherhood penalty is real doesn't mean that universities should discriminate against men.

"The Motherhood Penalty: Definition, Affect on Wages"

https://www.businessinsider.com/persona ... od-penalty
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:36 am
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:29 am
Why is it important?
I guess it's not important, and neither is the opioid crisis.
To be clear, you are equating the opioid crisis with a decrease in male college entrance and completion rates? Those are equal in your mind?