Mormon Stories finances vs. LDS finances

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Mormon Stories finances vs. LDS finances

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:10 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:01 pm
I'm surprised that John doesn't take a much bigger salary.

Does anyone else have the reach or influence of John Dehlin? Regardless of what you personally think of John, he is reaching hundreds of millions.
"I'm surprised the Church doesn't have an even bigger nest egg. Whatever you personally think of the Church, they're reaching hundreds of millions."
The Church has more than 50,000 full time missionaries, owns newspapers, owns magazines and owns media companies to spread their word. John Dehlin has a few people and the internet to spread his message.

More important, there is nothing wrong with the free exchange of ideas even if the ideas are contradictory. Democracy is best served with the free exchange of ideas and philosophies. John and the Church have different messages.

I stand all amazed at how powerful and influential John Dehlin has become. It's a true David and Goliath story being played out right before our eyes.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:13 pm
Marcus wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:12 pm
This is from the most recent (2019 i think) 990 for Open Stories Foundation that is posted on GuideStar:

I’m interested in your thoughts on my point, jp.
See Marcus’ point on that above…
Everybody Wang Chung
God

jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:12 pm

I'm more than happy to say I want the mission of Mormon Stories to continue. John's 100% the wrong person to be doing it, and it's hubris on his part and prophet worship on yours to think it would die if he wasn't doing it.
jpatt,

Just out of curiosity, who do you think would be doing a better job reaching more people than John Dehlin?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Marcus wrote:

I work for a large health system where the CEO wears multiple hats and has three official titles.

Her compensation is still only 1.8% of total revenue. That's how real NPs do it.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Tue May 16, 2023 8:25 pm

Just out of curiosity, who do you think would be doing a better job reaching more people than John Dehlin?
If, given the same platform and resources that John has been given, Lindsey Hansen Park would be even bigger than John is now. Without a doubt. She's smarter, savvier, and most of all has way more integrity.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:29 pm

If, given the same platform and resources that John has been given, Lindsey Hansen Park would be even bigger than John is now. Without a doubt. She's smarter, savvier, and most of all has way more integrity.
What "platform and resources" has John been given? I always assumed John put himself on those social media platforms and built Mormon Stories up from the ground.

If Lindsey Hansen Park would "be bigger than John is now" why isn't she? Lindsey is on the same social media platforms that John is on, but isn't even registering a blip on social media.

Why would this all of a sudden change if Lindsey took over? There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of ex-Mormon podcasters and NONE have even close to the reach that John Dehlin has. I'm curious as to why you think John would be so easily replaceable when nobody currently even comes close to the reach he has?

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:28 pm
Marcus wrote:

I work for a large health system where the CEO wears multiple hats and has three official titles.

Her compensation is still only 1.8% of total revenue. That's how real NPs do it.

LOL let’s talk real dollars. 1.8 percent of what amount?

Clearly if she makes more than John Dehlin then we should be calling for her head, since in a large health system she is doing a tiny fraction of a percent of the overall labor.
Dwight
Teacher

Post by Dwight »

jpatterson wrote:

What is her compensation in dollars? What are the other titles? Does she perform surgery, interact with patients, clinic hours? Can she be replaced with someone else without the house of cards falling down? To wit, if you think you can run a better NP than Open Stories Foundation then why don’t you compete and set your salary right. I certainly could consider donating to the cause and maybe others would prefer to donate to you than to enrich John Dehlin. You could dry up John Dehlin’s filthy lucre by offering a better product.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

jpatterson wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I can't think of a single large health care system that makes less than 3 billion per year in total revenue (and I've worked with many).

So, I'm guessing your CEO makes in the neighborhood of 40-60 million per year?

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:29 pm

If, given the same platform and resources that John has been given …
Who handed John Dehlin his YouTube channel? Who handed him the Mormon Stories podcast? Who handed him his other endeavors?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.