Deep State Strikes Again

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Deep State Strikes Again

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 2:34 am
honorentheos wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 2:03 am
You are absolutely free to leave the country and denounce your citizenship if that is what you think will solve your concerns. But your statement shows you continue to misunderstand the point. There is no binary division. This isn't a statement based in reality but rather a fantasy meant to manipulate folks. Try being skeptical of the strings tugging on you and see where they lead.

Case in point. Who do you imagine among politicians stands where on this particular claim?
Nobody should have to stay in an abusive marriage. That's kind of what we have as a country. And an honorable judge doesn't just tell an abused spouse, you're free to leave anytime you want but only if he gets to keep everything you helped earn over the past 200 years. At a family law level that would be considered barbaric and inhumane and yet somehow it's perfectly acceptable in politics.
C'mon, Ajax. I live in one of those states that is being "abused." We pay far more in federal taxes than we get back. I subsidize the lower tax rates in red states with my federal tax dollars. But lots of that is just fine. Some of those red states are poorer states, and I don't mind kicking in a little more so that poorer folks aren't made even poorer. It's the same with cities subsidizing rural areas. Cities have higher tax bases than rural areas. Right now, I'm also subsidizing high speed internet for rural counties where the capital cost of installation isn't worth it for private internet providers. That's okay, too. Just as it was when urban areas subsidized the electrification of rural counties decades ago.

That ain't abuse, though. That's paying for the infrastructure upon which a first-world country is built. You know what's next? I'm going to be subsidizing medical and hospital services to rural areas because the privatization of hospitals has caused hospitals in rural counties to close across the country.

That ain't abuse. That's doing what needs to be done to build a strong country.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 7:22 pm
Before Roosevelt's New Deal.
Herbert Hoover took a budget surplus of 0.8%, and right out of the gate turned it into a 4.5% deficit. It's crazy how far back one has to go to supposedly find fiscally conservative Republicans. Even going back to before the New Deal isn't far enough.

At least you finally seem to be coming around to the reality that Barack HUSSEIN Obama was more fiscally conservative than Donald J. Trump.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:17 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 7:22 pm
Before Roosevelt's New Deal.
Herbert Hoover took a budget surplus of 0.8%, and right out of the gate turned it into a 4.5% deficit. It's crazy how far back one has to go to supposedly find fiscally conservative Republicans.
Calvin Coolidge, I guess?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 10:08 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:17 pm

Herbert Hoover took a budget surplus of 0.8%, and right out of the gate turned it into a 4.5% deficit. It's crazy how far back one has to go to supposedly find fiscally conservative Republicans.
Calvin Coolidge, I guess?
Man, these nutjobs don’t even know. I had one of these kooks tell me every war after the revolutionary war was illegal. They just say things. They’re essentially sovereign citizens that have been riled up by Limbaugh-cum-Levin, Carlson, Fox Entertainment, Qanon, Alt-Right podcasters, meme warriors, Russian shills, Chinese agitprop, and all that nonsense. It’s just a whirlpool of half baked lies and conspiracy theories they gobble up because life is hard. They need someone to blame for their own lack of achievement. It’s pathetic.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Speaking of divorces …

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/lauren- ... 16248.html

tl;dr - Rep. Boebert is dumping her husband of two decades.
Boebert, who has repeatedly spoken of the importance of “family values” in her short political career
The Party of Family values for thee, but not for them.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:26 pm
Apparently, she's the one who filed for divorce, and he's upset about it.

So he wants to chase her to Jesus, but Jesus knows she's a damned fruitcake and keeps avoiding her.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:28 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:26 pm
Apparently, she's the one who filed for divorce, and he's upset about it.

So he wants to chase her to Jesus, but Jesus knows she's a damned fruitcake and keeps avoiding her.
Lol

brilliant
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I wonder where this fits into the deep state narrative:

Cliff Notes:
The DOJ investigates Biden-appointed prosecutor, finds ethics problems (used her official position to try to help in the election of a fellow-Dem), and said prosecutor will be submitting their resignation to Biden as a result.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/17/massach ... andal.html
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:07 pm
I wonder where this fits into the deep state narrative:

Cliff Notes:
The DOJ investigates Biden-appointed prosecutor, finds ethics problems (used her official position to try to help in the election of a fellow-Dem), and said prosecutor will be submitting their resignation to Biden as a result.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/17/massach ... andal.html
I'm not going to claim that Rachel Rollins didn't deserve condemnation for what she did, and I'm sure that the vast majority of Republicans would whole-heartedly agree with condemning her for it. Yet, at the same time, we know of numerous examples now of how republicans just shrug the shoulders and say "so what?" when any of their fellow Republicans are exposed for the same kind of, or even much worse ethics violations than that. The difference between the integrity of Democrats and Republicans is stark! Democrats will admit and criticize even their own for malfeasance, while Republicans often condemn only Democrats who misbehave, while stoutly ignoring and defending their own no matter, no matter how serious the infraction. Their blind defense of Trump no matter he has said or done or even been found guilty of in a court of law is the most glaring example of that!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.