The Jesus Myth: An unrelenting case for history

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: The Jesus Myth: An unrelenting case for history

Post by dastardly stem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:55 pm
Hey, stem. Have you read Burton L. Mack’s The Christ Myth? I think you might enjoy it. He has a different approach than Carrier, in that he does not address the likelihood that Jesus may not have been a real person. Instead, he deals with the mythologization of Jesus the person. I got it pretty cheap a few weeks ago, and so far I quite like it.
Haven't read it. I've seen it mentioned quite a bit, so I might have to jump on it one of these days. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm sure I'd enjoy it.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
PseudoPaul
Star B

Post by PseudoPaul »

dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:53 pm
PseudoPaul wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:36 pm
The way you're framing this shows a complete lack of understanding of how scholarship works and your interest in your polemical goals as a propagandist.
Alright, thanks for the posturing. if you have a case for historicity, I'm all ears.
The case has been made over and over and over again. You're not interested in the evidence, only your conspiracy theory.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

A related tangent:

DCP has been making the argument (well just copying it from someone else like always) that if we take anything from ancient history seriously, we should also take the empty tomb story seriously.

He thinks that there’s enough wiggle room to get his lever into the gap made by the scholarly consensus that Jesus existed, to lift the entire hypothesis that Jesus must have been raised from the dead.

Thoughts?
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:46 pm
A related tangent:

DCP has been making the argument (well just copying it from someone else like always) that if we take anything from ancient history seriously, we should also take the empty tomb story seriously.

He thinks that there’s enough wiggle room to get his lever into the gap made by the scholarly consensus that Jesus existed, to lift the entire hypothesis that Jesus must have been raised from the dead.

Thoughts?
Obviously, there are zero probable naturalistic explanations on why someone's body wouldn't still be where it was buried. The most obvious explanation for every empty tomb is resurrection.

Incidentally, resurrected Egyptian man-gods are apparently a dime a dozen.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:53 pm
drumdude wrote:
A related tangent:

Thoughts?
Obviously, there are zero probable naturalistic explanations on why someone's body wouldn't still be where it was buried. The most obvious explanation for every empty tomb is resurrection.

“DP” wrote: Michael R. Loveridge:. "When one is absolutely determined not to believe in the Resurrection, then any excuse, however ridiculous, will do."

Exactamente.
I find this is definitely the case when someone is determined to believe in the “Restoration.” I can’t imagine Dan normally defending an elders quorum age man marrying a Mia Maid aged girl he adopted as his daughter without religion.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor Steuss wrote:

Doctor Steuss,Ok , to argue that Jesus must have be raised from the dead because the tomb was empty would be a very weak proposal. Why even first century folks thought of alternative possibilities. But I do not really remember people claiming one should Jesus was brought back to a glorified life because of an empty tomb. It seems the idea got started from people seeing Jesus.

Dime a dozen Egyptians so memorable that their names just come to mind by the dozens. Perhaps they are relevant in much the same way drumdudes elderly erection observation connects.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:47 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:

Doctor Steuss,Ok , to argue that Jesus must have be raised from the dead because the tomb was empty would be a very weak proposal. Why even first century folks thought of alternative possibilities. But I do not really remember people claiming one should Jesus was brought back to a glorified life because of an empty tomb. It seems the idea got started from people seeing Jesus.

Dime a dozen Egyptians so memorable that their names just come to mind by the dozens. Perhaps they are relevant in much the same way drumdudes elderly erection observation connects.
Yeah, the empty tomb as a primary evidentiary point is really bizarre, given Mary, Peter, James, et.al. purportedly seeing him resurrected.

It wasn't some ethereal voice saying: "Behold my tomb, which is empty." with Thomas putting his hand inside the empty tomb to make sure.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
A related tangent:

Thoughts?
Sure, take seriously. But in what sense? I say Jesus existed, but I am uncertain about the resurrection as a historical matter. The evidence is just not good enough to be certain. Faith in the resurrection is a different question.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

“Clueless SeN commenter” wrote: So, I assume it would be pointless to refer you to the many accounts of modern prophete and apostles
who testify they 've seen the Savior (thus proving His Resurrection)?

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... phets.html
Dan’s got some real live ones in his blog comment section. When backed into a corner, he appealed to the witness of Mormon prophets:
“Kimball” wrote: I know that God lives. I know that Jesus Christ lives,” said John Taylor, my predecessor[sic], “for I have seen him.” I bear this testimony to you brethren in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
“LDS mag” wrote: George Q. Cannon, a counselor in the First Presidency to Brigham Young, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, and Lorenzo Snow, claimed on several occasions to have seen Christ and to have conversed with him face to face.
https://latterdaysaintmag.com/when-geor ... he-savior/

I don’t know how any Mormon can take the prophets’ words literally after so many decades of false promise, failures to discern, failed prophesy, outright lies, and racist doctrine.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Did someone mention that Ouija Board Baptisms is on Mormonism Live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vki6aa0eWc
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace