Identifying Board Members

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Identifying Board Members

Post by huckelberry »

Most people posting here are who they are. They have not been changing names around. Philo, Shulem, and Veritas have changed their name but that was quite some time ago. They each were LDS apologists in a former lifetime. There are some new people who do not really say alot, sometimes just complain, who people wonder if they are sockpuppets. I don't know, it is hard to tell who somebody is if they do not put an effort into actually expressing themselves. If shades has used a sock it would have been infrequently as far as I can tell.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:10 am
If shades has used a sock it would have been infrequently as far as I can tell.
Never at any time have I used a sock puppet on this board.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Sara H
Nursery

Post by Sara H »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:51 am
Marcus wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:54 pm
i'm not Liz. that was one of the original mods, as far as I know, maybe more than a decade before i even knew this board existed, but Jersey Girl might know more about that history.
Marcus is not Liz. The history doesn't matter. The fact that Marcus is not Liz doesn't matter either. This is a board of ideas. Post on topic. That's what the board is for.

Sheesh. Where do these people come from?
I'm replying to you, Jersey Girl, because your two posts were rude and insulting. First of all, why do you care if I want to know who was who in the past? I like reading about the past of discussion boards, but it can be hard to figure out what happened on this one because different people have written under different screen names. Yesterday, a moderator said that Binger is Mayan Elephant, but I thought he was Cultellus. I'm still not sure who is who. Why do you think you can say that past shouldn't matter to me? I can choose what's important to me.

I think it's funny that you're telling me to stay on topic when both of your posts are off topic and don't answer my question. It seems like you're trying to derail my thread. I don't need you to tell me how to post because I can read the rules just as well as you.

Lastly, I want you to know that I'd rather be called the N-word than "these people." I can only remember being called "the N-word" once, but someone seems to call me and my family "these people" about once every five years because we didn't meet their standards. I find it rude how you talked about me, and you have no right to try to stir up trouble in a thread as calm as this one. Isn't that now against the rules?
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Jersey Girl wrote:The history doesn't matter. The fact that Marcus is not Liz doesn't matter either. This is a board of ideas. Post on topic. That's what the board is for.
Great point.
I'm replying to you, Jersey Girl, because your two posts were rude and insulting.
I thought Jersey Girl's post was great.
First of all, why do you care if I want to know who was who in the past? I like reading about the past of discussion boards, but it can be hard to figure out what happened on this one because different people have written under different screen names. Yesterday, a moderator said that Binger is Mayan Elephant, but I thought he was Cultellus.
If it confuses you that binger has had at least two previous handles, AtlantaMike is really going to blow your mind. Statistically speaking, even you are AtlantaMike. Now that's crazy, eth?
I'm still not sure who is who. Why do you think you can say that past shouldn't matter to me? I can choose what's important to me.
The past shouldn't matter to you. That's my opinion. You can also choose your gender according to many people in this country, but as a conservative, I will decide what gender you actually are and what should matter to you. This is a Christian nation founded under the Christian flag by the Christian, Christopher Columbus.
I think it's funny that you're telling me to stay on topic when both of your posts are off topic and don't answer my question. It seems like you're trying to derail my thread. I don't need you to tell me how to post because I can read the rules just as well as you.
Jersey didn't tell you to stay on topic. I think Jersey meant post something that's not about the discussion board itself. For instance, post on the second amendment, or how wokeness is ruining the country. Those are just two of many examples that aren't about the persons of this board.
Lastly, I want you to know that I'd rather be called the N-word than "these people." I can only remember being called "the N-word" once, but someone seems to call me and my family "these people" about once every five years because we didn't meet their standards. I find it rude how you talked about me, and you have no right to try to stir up trouble in a thread as calm as this one. Isn't that now against the rules?
How often do you get called "Karen"?
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Sara,

I'm sorry to see how you have been welcomed to the community thus far. Usually, people wait until someone has reached their 4th or 5th board post before they bring these challenges. Our normal welcoming committee is on vacation and should be returning in one week. Once they return, I am confident that you will be greeted warmly, given a tour of the place, and you will be encouraged to participate in the community.

Hang in there. One week.
Sara H
Nursery

Post by Sara H »

Would one of the moderators be so kind to explain to me what is actually going on in my thread and what post are acceptable per board rules and which ones are not? I was going to ask my opening question in the terrestrial on my first thread, but didn't want to derail my own thread. I'm hearing the moderators say as of late, if you have a off topic question or answer, start a new thread, so that's what I did. Res and Marcus posted very nicely and seemed like they genuinely wanted to have a civil conversation. To me that's how a thread should progress. But after their post I have had my motives questioned, told that the history of the board doesn't matter even though it does to me, and I have been told what the board is for when I'm quite capable of determining how to use the board just as everyone else that post here. I've been told what to post, apparently I'm not smart enough to figure out what to post about. And now I have been called a Karen without actually being called a Karen so the poster who actually called me a Karen didn't technically break a board rule.

How did an innocent thread with such a simple question turn into me feeling like I need to defend my integrity? Wasn't a rule just changed so this situation wouldn't happen anymore?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Have you read the rule about sock puppets?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Sara H, I think some of the posters are insinuating you are a sock puppet.

BtheW, Atlantic Mike was first known as Pennywise in a book by Stephen King.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Sara H
Nursery

Post by Sara H »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:36 pm
Sara H, I think some of the posters are insinuating you are a sock puppet.

BtheW, Atlantic Mike was first known as Pennywise in a book by Stephen King.
Insinuating that a poster is someone they're not seems to be a regular theme on this board. I can tell from reading past threads that this has been going on for a long time.

Multiple members have told me not to worry about the board's history, but just last week I read a thread about how the admins were trying to figure out how to move the board's history from the old server to the new one. I think that's what was being talked about, but I can't remember which thread it was in. So it seems that some people here care a lot about the past of the board, but not when a new member wants to read it?
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Hey Sara, if you are relatively new to the board and wondering why you're being treated this way, it's because many of us are tired of certain posters who continue to create sock puppets and say the same crap with all of them. If you are not the sock puppet of someone who is already here, let me apologize on behalf of the community. You are the victim of other "new" members we've had to deal with. (If you are just another sock puppet, well, you know how we all feel).

If your post was sincere, then I think all of your questions were valid. I, too, like to know the person I'm speaking with is not just some other incarnation of a malcontent on this board.

There's nothing wrong (everyone else) with wondering about the history of this board. Leave Sara alone until she starts to break actual rules, please. Can we try not to scare off a "potentially" new board member until we have a reason to?

Welcome, Sara.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.