Boylan hits a new low

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Boylan hits a new low

Post by Kishkumen »

MsJack wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:19 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:54 am
Like time travel or epiphanies?
Like, did he ever quote or refer to any ECFs in his writings?

If his ideas were similar to some patristic ideas, that in itself isn't proof that he ever picked up an English translation of Augustine or Athanasius or Origen.

While the Protestant tradition itself goes back ~500 years, Luther, Calvin et al. read the church fathers with great interest and often interacted with patristic interpreters. They did not see themselves as starting a new church, but of rescuing the extant church from what had become papal corruption. They tried to incorporate patristic interpretations and theology in their teachings.

I hadn't heard of Joseph Smith interacting with the church fathers---I was under the impression most of his theological innovations were his own, or were reactions to / re-workings of 19th century Christianity and Freemasonry.

I apologize if I've misunderstood anything you've said here, Kish. I of course share most of your reservations with how Christians interact with and dismiss Mormonism.
I guess my joke did not land.

I am persuaded that he did encounter the ideas of ECFs from secondary sources written in English. He was also exposed to these ideas by associates who were better read and educated than he was. Like William Davis, I think Smith’s educational attainments were soft-pedaled and at times actively suppressed. Lucy Mack’s history is a good example of where this misrepresentation was happening.

I am not saying that I have examples of Smith quoting ECFs, and I cannot say for certain that he consulted anything other than secondary sources. What was present in the available secondary sources is pretty surprising.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Tapir Rodeo
Sunbeam

Post by Tapir Rodeo »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:54 am
Tapir Rodeo wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:42 am
Is there any evidence Smith interacted with the ECFs?
Like time travel or epiphanies?
My wording was poor. Is there any evidence Smith interacted with the writings of the EFCs?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Tapir Rodeo wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:08 am
My wording was poor. Is there any evidence Smith interacted with the writings of the EFCs?
Likely not directly, but probably in summaries and descriptions in secondary sources.

ETA: The person working on this is Stephen Fleming. I don’t feel at liberty to divulge his unpublished research here.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

“Bobby Boyland” wrote: Recently on youtube, Travis Morgan (or one of his equally obsessive followers) posted the following about yours truly:
Apparently, you've only spoken to sycophants concerning Boylan. Boylan has never produced a scholarly work, and the books he has self-published are highly questionable in terms of content and quality (he leaves 5 star reviews on his own books anyways lol). Boylan has a penchant for writing trashy hit pieces about those who criticize him on his blog. This includes attempts at revealing personal information and posting pictures of other people children along with thinly veiled threats. He was also caught up in the "Richard Nygren incident" in which he pretended to be a black person online so he could harass a member of his own church with whom he had a disagreement. He was active in the Deznat (LDS white nationalist) movement as recently as two years ago. If you have him on the show, be sure to ask him about these things.
So, my question for Travis Morgan (and assuming this is not a sock puppet) his obsessive sycophant are as follows:

Where have you formally studied theology? Last time I checked a B.S. in Science (Secondary Education: History and Social Studies) from Northern Arizona University (lol!) gives you no credibility on the topics. Bonus points if you provide any peer-reviewed article(s) and/or other scholarly works.

Please document that I am a white supremacist or sympathetic to it. Innuendo will not work; I want documentation. I am sure Tarik LaCour, Adam Stokes, et al., will be surprised to find out they have associated with a racist, but I am sure, being the top-class researcher you are, you will demonstrate such.

Please document where I ever pretended to be a black man. EVER. (for background on the Richard Nygren affair, see the discussion here and Mike Parker’s summary here). It was an ex-LDS by the name of Ray Lawler who set up an account called "Richard Nygren" with a picture of Rick James. I look forward to the documentation proving otherwise, however.

by the way, as you often engage in projection by calling me a “coward,” want me to suggest your name to Matt Fradd to debate Trent Horn, Jimmy Akin, John Bergsma, etc.? I know, being the brave keyboard warrior you truly are, you will do such; in fact, why don’t you reach out to Fradd? As a fan of Martin Chemnitz, I am sure you will mop the floor with them.

by the way, feel free to use either your tm434@nau.edu address or the boylanisaturd@yahoo.com address you set up last year.

Failure to answer will show that you are the intellectual fraud, coward, and mere keyboard warrior we all know you are, Travis.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Robert Boylan wrote: Please document where I ever pretended to be a black man. EVER. (for background on the Richard Nygren affair, see the discussion here and Mike Parker’s summary here). It was an ex-LDS by the name of Ray Lawler who set up an account called "Richard Nygren" with a picture of Rick James. I look forward to the documentation proving otherwise.
Ray Lawler? WTH? Boylan is now blaming the Richard Nygren affair on some guy named Ray Lawler?

This just gets stranger and stranger.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

He doesn’t seem physically or mentally well in his latest video:

https://youtu.be/oDcNE5xFsHg

It’s like watching someone in a manic phase. His hands are more all over the place than that flamboyant LDS pianist. He’s just reading paragraphs at his guest without letting him speak. Bizarre.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:58 pm
He doesn’t seem physically or mentally well in his latest video:

https://youtu.be/oDcNE5xFsHg

It’s like watching someone in a manic phase. His hands are more all over the place than that flamboyant LDS pianist. He’s just reading paragraphs at his guest without letting him speak. Bizarre.
Dude, that is just painful to watch. Something is definitely wrong with him. I hope he can get some help, and fast.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Has Boylan deteriorated mentally because of his involvement with mopologetics? Or does mopologetics attract people with preexisting mental health deficiencies?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I Have Questions wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:50 am
Has Boylan deteriorated mentally because of his involvement with mopologetics? Or does mopologetics attract people with preexisting mental health deficiencies?
Yes.
Tapir Rodeo
Sunbeam

Post by Tapir Rodeo »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:56 pm
Robert Boylan wrote: Please document where I ever pretended to be a black man. EVER. (for background on the Richard Nygren affair, see the discussion here and Mike Parker’s summary here). It was an ex-LDS by the name of Ray Lawler who set up an account called "Richard Nygren" with a picture of Rick James. I look forward to the documentation proving otherwise.
Ray Lawler? WTH? Boylan is now blaming the Richard Nygren affair on some guy named Ray Lawler?

This just gets stranger and stranger.
Things just get weirder and weirder with that guy. He must be deranged to think that doxxing someone wouldn't come with negative consequences. I get the feeling that he isn't really in control of his behavior and is prone to outbursts and fits of rage.