The Rosebud MEGATHREAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Re: To RFM; Re: Jenn Kamp

Post by Canadiandude2 »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:52 am
Canadiandude2 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:29 am
Rosebud also started to express discomfort with Dehlin’s advances in 2011 and 2012. She told him explicitly he should “go back to [his] wife.” He responded by saying that only makes him want to pursue her more. She said this proved to be an ongoing pattern with John.
This has been rehashed many times over the years. The last big blowout thread covered all the answers. Having the Rosebud claims continually resurface reminds me of the Trumpian claims that Black Lives Matter people stormed the Capitol on January 6th. No one picked up on the evidence the first time around or really wanted to pick up on it because they are simply against John Dehlin.

This is like Mormonism: Evidence does not matter since people will go on believing what they want one way or another.
Who’s they? I’m not understanding who it is you are comparing the alt-right to.

My first post was to critique Rosebud and Kamp. But no, I’m not gonna deny that what Dehlin did was unethical, abusive, and demands the same accountability as anyone else within or outside the church.

My problem is that whenever these posts come up, there’s always some other idiot who wants to excuse Dehlin’s behaviour.

I have, and have never had any difficulty problematizing Rosebud and crew.

Such was my response also the last time this thread came up and Rosebud and crew decided to team up with Midnight Mormons. Such was my first response this thread.

But I can at the same time criticize Dehlin without joining with same alt-right Mormon clown crew, the Rosebud clown crew, or the Dehlin (closer to the alt-right than they realize) clown crew- and they aren’t necessarily equally clownish in each misadventure.
Tator
CTR B

Post by Tator »

This scorned woman has gone on for so long that now whenever I encounter a post by Rosebud it really tests my gag response.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Canadiandude2 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:29 am
even where it appears consensual, it’s between a woman and man that has professional power over her.
Even when it is consensual, apparently. It takes two to tango. Just look at John forcing poor Rosebud with his immense power. Dangling a low paying job at a fledgling non-profit with 2-3 employees in front of her. What is a girl supposed to do when faced with such a dilemma??

Dwight
Teacher

Post by Dwight »

I stayed away from this latest round of drama. Seems John Dehlin attracts it. However I did listen to the podcast RFM did about JK trying to get him disbarred. I will take it at face value that JK did not bring up any sexual harassment in the board meeting. I did verify on RFM's Facebook page that JK did only file for the restraining order after learning of John Dehlin/Open Stories Foundation's lawsuit against her. She claims she only came to know when she was served. As RFM points out this helps it not look like retaliation. However she was responding on Facebook to RFM's post about the lawsuit on Feb 9th, so it is not credible that she didn't notice the topic when it was at the top in big bold letters.
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

Canadiandude2 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:34 am
toon wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:05 pm
It certainly matters in a legal sense.
If there is good chance that the person with power could threaten or advance the subordinate target’s career, or endanger their life, etc. then no, not necessarily.

Perhaps American Law has some catching up to do, but the problem here is that greater the power of the accused over the target, the more pressure they may feel to ‘just let it happen’ so as to not have their life screwed up even more than it already is with your boss, professor, military senior, etc. propositioning you.

In other contexts perhaps it matters less, but I think people should consider carefully, with a critical eye, any law that places blame upon the victims of sexual harassment, assault, etc. People with power should be expected to be circumspect and responsible in how they interact with people, particularly those under their authority.
Unwelcome and unsolicited are part of the legal definition of harassment here. (Don't know about Canada, but since this allegedly occurred in Utah, Canadian law is irrelevant.) The challenged conduct must be unwelcome "in the sense that the employee did not solicit or incite it, and in the sense that the employee regarded the conduct as undesirable or offensive."

I will agree that it is not always easy to determine whether the challenged conduct was unwelcome, especially when there is not equal power between the alleged victim and accused. But that doesn't mean that a power differential is determinative in itself. Subordinates can consent to an affair with their boss. It's a rare occurrence. I wouldn't even call it uncommon. And while it may be morally repugnant in many circumstances, that doesn't mean it's unlawful.

From my vague recollection of some of the facts in this matter, including the text messages, her involvement seems to have been consensual.

What may have been more problematic was the fact that she lost her job. That could form the basis of a quid pro quo claim. But the mere fact that she lost her job or was even fired may not be enough in itself. Was she let go, either directly or constructively, because submission to the relationship was explicitly or implicitly used as a condition of employment, or because her submission or rejection was used a a basis for employment decisions? Or was it something else, such as once the emotional affair had ended, the parties could no longer be reasonably expected to return to a merely professional relationship and work together. If so, that may not be the same thing as what would be required to support a quid pro quo claim.

When I look at the matter, again based on a vague recollection of what I read a few years ago, I see concerns about a boss who is married having a mutually consensual emotional affair with a subordinate, but I also recognize that that stuff happens and is human. I also see a boss trying to end it, while the subordinate was pushing to take it to a different level. But what I mostly see, and what I think may still be a problem, is that it seems to be amateur hour in how the organization runs its internal business. Something that is extremely common for many small businesses and organizations. Open Stories Foundation's, or whatever it is now, ad hoc and amateur handling of Rosebud's matter doesn't seem to have changed, at least as far as I can tell with how the Jenn Kamp matter was handled. I know they may operate on a shoestring budget, but it would still be more cost effective to get the advice of a good management side employment attorney as early on in these matters as possible. They shouldn't be relying on the advice of board members.

(Full disclosure. As a management side labor and employment attorney, there may be a bit of self-interest in recommending that business engage people like me.)
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

...But the mere fact that she lost her job or was even fired may not be enough in itself. Was she let go, either directly or constructively, because submission to the relationship was explicitly or implicitly used as a condition of employment, or because her submission or rejection was used a a basis for employment decisions? Or was it something else, such as once the emotional affair had ended, the parties could no longer be reasonably expected to return to a merely professional relationship and work together...
Bolding added by me. I am at a loss to see how the person with less power losing their job while their superior retains theirs, specifically in reference to a sexual encounter, can be defined as "something else," i.e. not losing one's employment due to sexual harassment, simply by arguing that it's too much to expect the boss to work with that subordinate now.

Really smh over this illogical statement.
Dwight
Teacher

Post by Dwight »

The board actually rehired Rosebud once she made the sexual harassment claims. So as to not deprive her of income while they did the investigation.

You could simplify to say she lost her job due to the affair with her boss. You lose important context to not admit it was a largely consensual affair that she ultimately wouldn’t let John Dehlin end. That is when she went to the board. She tried to orchestrate a coup against the board with John Dehlin so they could continue the work and personal relationship.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Dwight wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:05 pm
The board actually rehired Rosebud once she made the sexual harassment claims. So as to not deprive her of income while they did the investigation.

You could simplify to say she lost her job due to the affair with her boss. You lose important context to not admit it was a largely consensual affair that she ultimately wouldn’t let John Dehlin end. That is when she went to the board. She tried to orchestrate a coup against the board with John Dehlin so they could continue the work and personal relationship.
Wow. I'm going to quote that because reading conspiracy theories can be quite interesting and i'd hate for this one to disappear should you come to regret posting it.

This part though...
...You could simplify to say she lost her job due to the affair with her boss....
Yes, you could.
Tavares Standfield
Sunbeam

Post by Tavares Standfield »

Rosebud wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:16 am

---

nonsense

---
Get the hence, Satan!

You are now in your second decade of harassing and defame John Dehlin.

You are a honey trap completely funded by the devils at Kirton/McConkie. You set out to entrap Dehlin and you succeeded for a time. Perhaps you even developed feelings for John. Who could blame you?

You organized efforts to defane Dehlin during #metoo somehow relating mundane pay disputes with sexual harassment. But nothing has worked. Teflon John will continue to win. And you will continue to lose.

But at least you have a nice wad of cash. Enjoy those pieces of silver.
Fifth Columnist
Nursery

Post by Fifth Columnist »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:39 pm
Please answer the above quote.

Also, was John Dehlin or Open Stories Foundation or anyone affiliated with Open Stories Foundation your client at any time, or hire you in any capacity to work in their interest?

- Doc
See RFM's podcast about Jenn Kamp's attempt to have him disbarred. He discusses this just after the 50 minute mark.