The Church is lying to cover up it's promoting of Tim Ballard & OUR

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

The Church is lying to cover up it's promoting of Tim Ballard & OUR

Post by I Have Questions »

The Church claims...
"In addition, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints never endorsed, funded, supported or represented OUR, Tim Ballard or any projects associated with them."
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-new ... acceptable

However...
An article published by the Church entitled “Saving Children: Tim Ballard and Operation UndergroundRailroad” was last seen online on Friday, September 15, 2023.

By Saturday, the Church article forwarded to a page stating: “Page Not Found.”

A website archiving service known as the WayBack Machine took screenshots of the article before itwas removed.

“Tim Ballard has clear blue eyes – piercing, in fact – eyes that have seen far more trouble and fear than you or I probably ever will,” the article begins. “But his eyes have also seen immeasurable amounts of gratitude and hope from the innocent young victims he has helped rescue from the horrors of sex slavery.”

Ballard is quoted in the article stating: “There’s no question in my mind that this is the Lord’s work and that we are His hands. This is so important because it’s so important to the Lord... The Atonement heals all. It’s our job in the meantime to serve especially the downtrodden and the suffering, to liberate the captive.”

The Church article goes on to link to the nonprofit’s website for information about a new full-length documentary promoting OUR.

It also links to a “recent episode of Mormon Channel Daily” in which Ballard was interviewed, but that link also appears to no longer be active, instead redirecting to a home page.
https://www.fox13now.com/news/fox-13-in ... -nonprofit

Why can't the Church simply tell people the truth?
Rivendale
God

Re: The Church is lying to cover up it's promoting of Tim Ballard & OUR

Post by Rivendale »

Lying for the Lord is the basis of Dan Vogel's pious fraud theory regarding Joseph Smith’s motivation in creating his new religion. It is baked into Mormonism at the molecular level. Covering up sex abuse. Changing the narrative whenever science disproves various church claims. Even creating elaborate excuses when the Salemander letter was displayed by Mark Hofmann. Many members today believe that following a prophet or leader even if they are wrong will result in a heavenly reward. Hitchens was right, it does poison everything.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Rivendale wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:02 pm
Lying for the Lord is the basis of Dan Vogel's pious fraud theory regarding Joseph Smith’s motivation in creating his new religion. It is baked into Mormonism at the molecular level. Covering up sex abuse. Changing the narrative whenever science disproves various church claims. Even creating elaborate excuses when the Salemander letter was displayed by Mark Hofmann. Many members today believe that following a prophet or leader even if they are wrong will result in a heavenly reward. Hitchens was right, it does poison everything.
Very well said.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Excellent observations, gents. Once again - Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

This whole thing is sick. There are numerous law enforcement agencies and CPS agencies doing their job. How this thing was allowed to continue is beyond me. Just listening to Vice and Lynn Packer who have professional training in journalism and I hear two minutes of a few people defending this guy makes me want to never listen to anyone defending the church. It sounds so crazy. In the 1800’s they had “spiritual wifery”; now they have moved on to”undercover wives” which I guess could be a new name for those women in the 1800s. It’s beyond gross.
Last edited by yellowstone123 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“One of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

It seems to me that rescuing children from sex slavery and human trafficking is the noblest cause in which a human being can be involved.

But for some reason people now hate this Tim Ballard guy, who is the founder of an organization that reportedly does exactly that. What has he done wrong?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
The Stig
Valiant B

Post by The Stig »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:21 pm
It seems to me that rescuing children from sex slavery and human trafficking is the noblest cause in which a human being can be involved.

But for some reason people now hate this Tim Ballard guy, who is the founder of an organization that reportedly does exactly that. What has he done wrong?
It's a scam. It's always been a scam. The organization does little to none of what it claims. It mostly succeeds at making the leadership group quite rich.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:

He puts on show of doing it, but doesn't actually do it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:38 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:

He puts on show of doing it, but doesn't actually do it.
And, if recent reports are reliable, he essentially sex traffics his own volunteers for his personal gratification in the process of putting on the show.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:53 pm
And, if recent reports are reliable, he essentially sex traffics his own volunteers for his personal gratification in the process of putting on the show.
Forgive me, are we talking about Tim Ballard or Joseph Smith?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014