Church Launches Global Initiative

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Failed Prophecy
Sunbeam

Re: Church Launches Global Initiative

Post by Failed Prophecy »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:17 am
Sheesh…
We say that in regards to every post you make.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:45 am
Simple judgement without any evidence on your part.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:45 am
Fits some kind of narrative I suspect.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:10 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:31 am
Exactly what is the church doing in this initiative that hasn’t been done by secular organizations for decades?

I applaud anything a religious organization does to improve the lives of the poor. I do not applaud the smug superiority communicated by your last sentence.
Whoa! Hold your horses there partner. I’m simply saying that when organized religion grows large enough to take care of its own and can reach out into the world and help others…that’s a GOOD thing.

Period.

I’m in no way dissing secular organizations that do the same....
Then you do not understand how language works. You said:
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:04 am
...We see here an advantage to organized religion...
Please explain what you meant by "an advantage to organized religion."

What is their advantage? What groups do they have an advantage over?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

The op article directs one to this source:

"Child Nutrition Additional Resources"
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/lif ... s?lang=eng

And here is what they offer as resources:
What child nutrition programs and services can help?

In addition to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint’s child nutrition efforts, there are many global organizations and local services that share the same goal of helping children to reach their full potential through healthy nutrition.

You can find help through global nutrition-focused organizations, or you can find local immediate help by visiting clinical services in your area.

In addition to these nutrition-focused organizations, there are many local child nutrition programs such as school nutrition programs and human services whose goal is to help children to meet their nutritional needs. Talk to your Church leaders or local clinic to see if there is a child nutrition program available in your area.

What child nutrition resources can I use for nutritional information?

Healthy eating guidelines usually differ from country to country depending on what food is available and what guidelines the country sets.

To find your country’s children’s health guidelines, visit a local clinic to see what child nutrition resources they have for your area. You can also conduct a search online for your country’s child food-based dietary guidelines. You can also find many countries’ dietary guidelines in this list provided by the FAO.

For examples of general healthy eating guidelines and nutritional information, read resources from trusted health organizations like the World Health Organization and Mayo Clinic.

I bolded in blue the least helpful advice, but none of it is anything more than what you would get with a simple request to an A.I.. :roll:

(Bumped to bypass MH's attempts to obfuscate.)
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

MG 2.0 wrote:
The LDS Church has launched a global health and nutrition initiative to improve the health and development of children under five and their mothers:

https://www.heraldextra.com/faith-2/202 ... nitiative/

The church has grown in its ability to carry out the mandate of the Savior to succor the little children.

We see here an advantage to organized religion.

Regards,
MG
I can’t see what the Church, specifically, has launched. I can see references to past projects, I can see ambiguous references to desired outcomes, I see references to past giving of some money to other organisations good work, I see mentions of members maybe getting involved in…something. But what? What projects, specifically have just been launched globally MG?

It’s almost as if the Church has hastily cobbled together a collection of past good news stories and labelled them a “global initiative” to try and offset the bad pr being generated by the Arizona case highlighting the Church’s systemic propensity for protecting the perpetrators of child abuse at the expense of the child victims.

For reference, here is the link to the Church announcement…
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ef-society
The program will support families through the Church’s existing ecclesiastical networks while also collaborating with external organizations that share similar goals.
MG, what (specifically) will you start doing as a result of this global launch of…something?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I Have Questions wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:26 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
The LDS Church has launched a global health and nutrition initiative to improve the health and development of children under five and their mothers:

https://www.heraldextra.com/faith-2/202 ... nitiative/

The church has grown in its ability to carry out the mandate of the Savior to succor the little children.

We see here an advantage to organized religion.

Regards,
MG
I can’t see what the Church, specifically, has launched. I can see references to past projects, I can see ambiguous references to desired outcomes, I see references to past giving of some money to other organisations good work, I see mentions of members maybe getting involved in…something. But what? What projects, specifically have just been launched globally MG?

It’s almost as if the Church has hastily cobbled together a collection of past good news stories and labelled them a “global initiative” to try and offset the bad pr being generated by the Arizona case highlighting the Church’s systemic propensity for protecting the perpetrators of child abuse at the expense of the child victims.

For reference, here is the link to the Church announcement…
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ef-society
The program will support families through the Church’s existing ecclesiastical networks while also collaborating with external organizations that share similar goals.
MG, what (specifically) will you start doing as a result of this global launch of…something?
The lds church has stated that they spent about 15 minutes of the interest on their hoard, and have launched a site that includes this advice:
...You can also conduct a search online for your country’s child food-based dietary guidelines...
:roll: As usual, their PR people gave them very bad advice.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:02 am
The LDS church has stated that they spent about 15 minutes of the interest on their hoard, and have launched a site that includes this advice:
...You can also conduct a search online for your country’s child food-based dietary guidelines...
In September 2022, the Church announced a US$32 million contribution to the World Food Programme (WFP) to provide emergency food aid for approximately 1.6 million people facing what the WFP calls a “seismic hunger crisis” in nine nations.

Another $44 million contribution to multiple charitable organizations, announced in August 2023, will help an estimated 2 million mothers and children impacted by food insecurity in 30 countries. The funding will go toward malnutrition screening and treatment; nutritional supplements and vitamins; purchasing agricultural tools and providing training; fighting disease through access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene; and education initiatives that promote proper nutritional practices
These are repeat announcements, not new initiatives. (I know you know this Marcus, but for the benefit of others) The dollar amounts do not come from the hoard. They come from additional donations made by members. The current legal cases make it clear no monies have been expended from the hoard, ever, except to bail out a for-profit insurance business, and to build an upmarket shopping centre.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:17 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:15 am
It's too bad all their covering up of sex abused children mars this supposed contribution..... I wonder if the law is forcing them to also be charitable like this... :roll:
Sheesh…

Regards,
MG
Yeah SHEESH! Your bias is ridiculous. Your church is a house of SIN and you continue to imagine it's all just fine. The power of the brainwash is evidenced in you.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I Have Questions wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:38 am
Marcus wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:02 am
The LDS church has stated that they spent about 15 minutes of the interest on their hoard, and have launched a site that includes this advice:

In September 2022, the Church announced a US$32 million contribution to the World Food Programme (WFP) to provide emergency food aid for approximately 1.6 million people facing what the WFP calls a “seismic hunger crisis” in nine nations.

Another $44 million contribution to multiple charitable organizations, announced in August 2023, will help an estimated 2 million mothers and children impacted by food insecurity in 30 countries. The funding will go toward malnutrition screening and treatment; nutritional supplements and vitamins; purchasing agricultural tools and providing training; fighting disease through access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene; and education initiatives that promote proper nutritional practices
These are repeat announcements, not new initiatives. (I know you know this Marcus, but for the benefit of others) The dollar amounts do not come from the hoard. They come from additional donations made by members. The current legal cases make it clear no monies have been expended from the hoard, ever, except to bail out a for-profit insurance business, and to build an upmarket shopping centre.
Good points. I meant they spent an amount equivalent to 15 minutes of interest of their hoard, but you're correct, it wasn't actually from the hoard. A
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Philo wrote:It's too bad all their covering up of sex abused children mars this supposed contribution.....
Seems to me this is part of the cover-up. Rather than fix their own problem, throw a few bucks as a diversion at somebody else's problem.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

My WAG is that this announcement is not prompted by the sex abuse issue. I think it's more likely that it's finally sunk in to some of the head honchos that amassing an obscene amount of wealth while pleading poverty and hiding the wealth from membership by breaking laws is not a good look for an organization that claims to follow Jesus Christ. I hope that's true and I hope the result is improved health and well being of impoverished mothers and children. I really don't care what the motivation is, as long as the poor are helped.

My major caveat is that the PR seems to be running well ahead of the planning. As IHQ rightly points out, the references to donations are past donations. There is lots of talk about goals and concepts and interfacing and supporting other existing organizations. But there is very little in the way of concrete descriptions of exactly what the church and its members will be doing and budgeted funds.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating (thanks, Chap). The proof of the PR is in the doing.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.