2024 Election Campaign MEGATHREAD

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: 2024 Election Campaign Megathread

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:21 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:17 pm
The fact that you had to google Navalny is a testament to something. I don’t know what that something is. But it’s something, that’s for sure.
It’s a testament to the fact that I don’t follow Russian politics.
You’re not a Republican?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: 2024 Election Campaign MEGATHREAD

Gov. Haley challenged Pres. Trump to make a statement on Putin’s killing of Navalny, and this was his response:

For those who don’t know, Alexei Navalny was a prominent Russian opposition leader to Putin, an anti-corruption activist, and lawyer. As a result of his opposition to Putin, he was arrested a few times, and survived a couple of poisoning attempts. Navalny's activism led, ultimately, to his death, on Putin’s orders, while he was jailed in a gulag where he had been subjected to brutal torture.

- Doc.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

You could replace "The sudden death of Alexei Navalny" with literally anything else and his message would be the same.

"The long line at the bakery today has made me..."
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:11 pm
As a result of his opposition to Putin, he was arrested a few times, and survived a couple of poisoning attempts. Navalny's activism led, ultimately, to his death, on Putin’s orders, while he was jailed in a gulag where he had been subjected to brutal torture.
It makes me wonder why any Russian opposes Putin.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
The fact that you had to google Navalny is a testament to something. I don’t know what that something is. But it’s something, that’s for sure.
Dr. Shades wrote:
Shades: I'm guessing, that while reading Jersey's music thread, you had to google 'the Beatles'--because you don't follow British music.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:30 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:11 pm
As a result of his opposition to Putin, he was arrested a few times, and survived a couple of poisoning attempts. Navalny's activism led, ultimately, to his death, on Putin’s orders, while he was jailed in a gulag where he had been subjected to brutal torture.
It makes me wonder why any Russian opposes Putin.
It certainly can be a tough go:

https://michaelwsmith.com/the-sacrifice ... n-signers/
What happened to the signers of the Declaration of Independence?

This is the Price They Paid

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons in the revolutionary army, another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the revolutionary war.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners, men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers or both, looted the properties of Ellery, Clymer, Hall, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. The owner quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife’s bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart. Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.

Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: “For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.”
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:38 pm
This is the Price They Paid

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons in the revolutionary army, another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the revolutionary war.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners, men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers or both, looted the properties of Ellery, Clymer, Hall, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. The owner quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife’s bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart. Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.

Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: “For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.”
Thanks for that moving and inspiring history, Doc. I realized that they sacrificed a lot for what they believed, but I was not fully aware of just how much they lost, or how few of them came even close to being adequately and justly rewarded for their sacrifices. I am in even more awe of them than ever for what they risked for human freedom and liberty.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:42 pm
Navalny is dead. :(
Yulia will step forward and take up the cause.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Morley wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:49 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:
Shades: I'm guessing, that while reading Jersey's music thread, you had to google 'the Beatles'--because you don't follow British music.
Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
;)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:23 am
You could replace "The sudden death of Alexei Navalny" with literally anything else and his message would be the same.

"The long line at the bakery today has made me..."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.