(Auto)biographical Reflections on MDB/DM

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: (Auto)biographical Dictionary of MDB/DM

Post by Kishkumen »

I posted on alt.religion.Mormon a bit. Not much though.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

I'm trying to remember if BYP posted on a.r.m. -- If I recall correctly his apologetics were sometimes a topic of conversation.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:08 am
I'm trying to remember if BYP posted on a.r.m. -- If I recall correctly his apologetics were sometimes a topic of conversation.
Honestly, I don’t recall. I spent too little time there to recall.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

I'm good for my entry, and can probably contribute to a few entries for folks no longer around.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MsJack wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:47 am
I'm good for my entry, and can probably contribute to a few entries for folks no longer around.
Wonderful, MsJack! Thank you for your willingness to pitch in. You are an excellent writer, so this helps a lot.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:40 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:16 pm
Example: Bret Ripley? would love to get that story.
Chapter 1: It was a dark and stormy night.

(I will try to come up with more later.)

ETA: kidding aside, I'd be fine with sharing -- I just can't imagine it will be interesting unless I'm allowed to retcon in some ninjas or space marines.

On a selfish note: I'd be interested to know if anyone else here used to frequent the old alt.religion.Mormon (or maybe even soc.religion.Mormon), and whether I had any interactions with them there.
Bret, I used to hang out at alt.religion.Mormon. I had a couple of battles with our own Professor Philo, which I doubt he would remember. I can't recall you specifically, but it's been a while...
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:08 am
He did.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

Bond

Formerly known as "Bond...James Bond". Active on MDB from ~2006-2009 as a non Mormon atheist critic (but not really a critic as famously stated by Dr. Scratch who said I was mostly posting on my "charm" :D). Mostly a social poster and hangout kind of guy who lived in the Mormon Corridor for a time and was socially connected and thus intrigued by Mormonism. Was a moderator for a couple of years during that period. Did a (poorly) mirror blog to Dr. Scratch's Mormon Dialogue profiles profiling Mormon Discussion posters in a tongue-and-cheek manner. Famously stated that Interpreter blog would last a few minutes or months or something. Who remembers such things?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Bond wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:33 pm
Bond

Formerly known as "Bond...James Bond". Active on MDB from ~2006-2009 as a non Mormon atheist critic (but not really a critic as famously stated by Dr. Scratch who said I was mostly posting on my "charm" :D). Mostly a social poster and hangout kind of guy who lived in the Mormon Corridor for a time and was socially connected and thus intrigued by Mormonism. Was a moderator for a couple of years during that period. Did a (poorly) mirror blog to Dr. Scratch's Mormon Dialogue profiles profiling Mormon Discussion posters in a tongue-and-cheek manner. Famously stated that Interpreter blog would last a few minutes or months or something. Who remembers such things?
Thanks, Bond! That is a good start!
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:38 pm

Thanks, Bond! That is a good start!
:)

If you or anyone shotgun out a list of posters from that era I can do a few sentences on some of them.