Mormons arguing that “Mormon” is as derogatory as the N-word

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Mormons arguing that “Mormon” is as derogatory as the N-word

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:00 am
Maybe they need to start censoring the Book of Mormon?
Changing it to the Book of Joseph would solve the problem of using a Satanic name.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Equality
CTR B

Post by Equality »

So when this guy hears them introduce the choir at General Conference he thinks to himself they are saying the equivalent of "N-word Tabernacle Choir"? And what about the "Book of N-word"?

Mormons Oneandonlytrueandlivingchurchofjesuschristians are getting weirder by the minute (Hinckley's protestations to Wallace notwithstanding).
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Equality wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:35 pm
So when this guy hears them introduce the choir at General Conference he thinks to himself they are saying the equivalent of "N-word Tabernacle Choir"? And what about the "Book of N-word"?

Mormons Oneandonlytrueandlivingchurchofjesuschristians are getting weirder by the minute (Hinckley's protestations to Wallace notwithstanding).
The Church has renamed the choir to "The Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square."
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:29 pm
Equality wrote:

The Church has renamed the choir to "The Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square."
I wonder what church they belong to.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Equality wrote:

I wonder if these morons the Church spent a lot of time and money on a “I’m A Mormon” campaign, and produced two films titled “Meet The Mormons”? Did they, I wonder, do even a basic amount of research before spouting off?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:03 pm
President Nelson had a nighttime revelation that the word Mormon is of Satanic origin. Interestingly, Joseph Smith declared that it meant More Good in the Adamic language, but as we all know a recent Church president trumps a past Church president.

Lest we think this might have been caused by a spot of bad mustard or a desire to camouflage the Church from endless bad publicity, remember that President Nelson is sustained as a prophet, seer, and revelator.
Why, yes, and if a lot of people do something, then it must be right? Ipso facto, yadda yadda, thus saith the gods of small minds. I think we can set aside all of the obvious BS here and frankly say that President Nelson got carried away and did something really stupid when he tried to associate the word Mormon with Satan. I say stupid, but it did have the unintended benefit of making me feel fully liberated from taking everything he says “as a prophet” seriously. Of course, I think there was one line of prophets in the LDS Church, and they all bore the name Smith. The truly important one was Joseph. The others much less so. Brigham Young to the present leadership are relatively decent men who bear the responsibility of church leadership as apostolic presidents of the LDS Church reasonably well, more or less.

So no, Mormon has nothing to do with Satan. It’s nutz to say it does. Joseph Smith knew better that Nelson in this and most other matters, except, well, polygamy, and in that both men are wrong.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:59 am
I think we can set aside all of the obvious BS here and frankly say that President Nelson got carried away and did something really stupid when he tried to associate the word Mormon with Satan. I say stupid, but it did have the unintended benefit of making me feel fully liberated from taking everything he says “as a prophet” seriously.
You took everything he said seriously before this happened?
Of course, I think there was one line of prophets in the LDS Church, and they all bore the name Smith.
True prophets, or false prophets?
Brigham Young to the present leadership are relatively decent men who bear the responsibility of church leadership as apostolic presidents of the LDS Church reasonably well, more or less.
Brigham Young was a relatively decent man??
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:14 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:59 am
Brigham Young was a relatively decent man.
Brigham Young was a relatively decent man?
Kishkumen did use the qualifier "relatively". Perhaps he was thinking in comparison to an earlier Mormon leader, Vlad Tepes the Impaler.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:36 am
Kishkumen did use the qualifier "relatively". Perhaps he was thinking in comparison to an earlier Mormon leader, Vlad Tepes the Impaler.
“Earlier Mormon leader.” Was that funny?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

It's not the same and to even think so is foolish.

The N-word is a variation of words spoken by Spanish and Portuguese slave traders who came to America in ships in the early 17th century with people with darker skin than theirs; these people were thought of as animals, who had no rights, who could be bought, sold and traded. So the N-word is associated with people who had no rights, who could be bought, sold and traded.

As the years went on and more enslaved people were brought to America, families disappeared overnight via business. People took sides like Elijah Parish Lovejoy, a Presbyterian minister killed in Illinois in 1837 by a pro-slavery mob from Missouri for using his printing press to publish anti-slavery tracts.

Then this country descended into hell after President Lincoln was inaugurated. Remember he was with the Republican Party with the purpose to wipe out the twin relics of barbarism - slavery and polygamy. Yes, this country fought a civil war over the fact that all people have the right to life, liberty and happiness; not just white people.

So Mormons could always vote, were not brought to America against their will, were not bought, sold and traded, etc, etc, etc.

Jeepers, Mr. Wilson!
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.