Kirton McConkie's Randy Austin called as Area Seventy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Equality
CTR B

Re: Kirton McConkie's Randy Austin called as Area Seventy

Post by Equality »

I know Randy Austin (not well--met him when I was in law school). Total douche.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Who is “Frenchy?”
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:57 pm
Who is “Frenchy?”
Did you use your own search feature to answer your own question?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Tom wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:46 pm
Copy. I’ll be in touch with Nemo to do the same on his side of the pond.
I dropped into the local chapel for the first session of general conference and manifested my opposition. Philosophical question: if an opposing vote is made in an empty chapel and no one is around to see it, is it recorded in Salt Lake City?
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Tom wrote:I dropped into the local chapel for the first session of general conference and manifested my opposition. Philosophical question: if an opposing vote is made in an empty chapel and no one is around to see it, is it recorded in Salt Lake City?
Funny you should bring that up, Tom, as I have a similar question. If an opposing vote is made in a full chapel and everyone sees it, is it recorded in Salt Lake City?
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:58 pm
Tom wrote:I dropped into the local chapel for the first session of general conference and manifested my opposition. Philosophical question: if an opposing vote is made in an empty chapel and no one is around to see it, is it recorded in Salt Lake City?
Funny you should bring that up, Tom, as I have a similar question. If an opposing vote is made in a full chapel and everyone sees it, is it recorded in Salt Lake City?
I believe the answer is yes. According to substance theory, a substance is distinct from its properties, while according to bundle theory, an object is merely its sense data. I don’t understand either theory, having completed a single philosophy class during my undistinguished academic career and lacking time today to digest the associated Wikipedia entries. In any case, as I see it, the definition of an opposing vote, simplified, is a raised arm from an individual when a church leader intones that any opposed to a sustaining may manifest it. Thus understood, an opposing vote will be recorded in Salt Lake City even if nobody saw it, simply because it could have been seen if the presiding officer was paying attention to the individuals sitting in the back of the chapel. I do recognize that the church rejects this theory (Elder McConkie famously called it one of the seven deadly theories), and the church tries to avoid the conundrum entirely by simply asking the dissenter to contact their stake president. Nevertheless, it seems entirely apparent that if an opposing vote is made in a full chapel and everyone sees, it will be recorded in Salt Lake City.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tom wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:48 pm
Tom wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:46 pm
Copy. I’ll be in touch with Nemo to do the same on his side of the pond.
I dropped into the local chapel for the first session of general conference and manifested my opposition. Philosophical question: if an opposing vote is made in an empty chapel and no one is around to see it, is it recorded in Salt Lake City?
Good on you, brother. Much respect.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:52 pm
Tom wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:48 pm

Good on you, brother. Much respect.

- Doc
Thank you.

In related news, President Holland suggested he had experienced a near-death experience and Elder Gerard spoke about the importance of living a life of integrity. I am not making this up. What did Bishop L. Todd Budge say about the church’s financial reporting? “It wasn’t an accurate answer. It wasn’t meant to be an accurate answer. It was simply meant to communicate that we do not feel that we’re obligated to fill in that box.”
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Who is “Frenchy?”
A good question. The only person who I know of who may know the answer is the proprietor of a certain blog on the Internet that trades in pseudoscience and nonsense. If this person carefully recorded the name of "Frenchy" as it appeared on his tombstone such that he could submit it for temple work for the dead, then maybe he will tell you if you ask him.

However, something tells me he just let it go and said, "who cares, the work will get done in the millennium, I've got a plane to catch. " In that case, there is little chance you will ever find out who Frenchy was.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:24 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Who is “Frenchy?”
A good question. The only person who I know of who may know the answer is the proprietor of a certain blog on the Internet that trades in pseudoscience and nonsense. If this person carefully recorded the name of "Frenchy" as it appeared on his tombstone such that he could submit it for temple work for the dead, then maybe he will tell you if you ask him.

However, something tells me he just let it go and said, "who cares, the work will get done in the millennium, I've got a plane to catch. " In that case, there is little chance you will ever find out who Frenchy was.
Peterson desperately wanted “Frenchy” to die so that he could be reunited with his already-deceased wife. Yet in his comments about conference…
I expect that I am not the only person today who was impressed by the powerful and remarkable testimony of President Jeffrey R. Holland. I’m so very grateful that he is still with us.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... -mark.html

Why isn’t he wishing Holland dead so that he too can be reunited with his already-deceased wife?