What is Gravity?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Re: What is Gravity?

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Valo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 3:49 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 3:46 pm

Did you make it up?
No, it was something that came to me in the moment and I went with it! :D

Question: What is the history of the word "edumacated"

Chatgpt: The word "edumacated" is a playful or colloquial variation of the word "educated." It is often used humorously to imply that someone is educated in a less conventional or formal manner, or to mock someone's level of education.

The exact history of the word "edumacated" is difficult to trace, as it likely emerged gradually over time through informal usage in spoken language and popular culture. It is a humorous alteration of the word "educated," and its use may be influenced by regional dialects, slang, or humorous speech patterns.

The term "edumacated" is often associated with dialects or speech patterns that emphasize humor or exaggeration, and it is commonly used in informal or comedic contexts. Its usage can be found in various forms of popular culture, including comedy sketches, literature, and internet memes.

While the word "edumacated" may not have a specific documented history or origin, its playful and humorous connotations have made it a popular term for describing education in a light-hearted or sarcastic manner.
I edited my post to explain. :/ chat gpt seems to have heard of it. I don't find it humerous but I'll leave it at that.
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Physics Guy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 3:31 pm
Valo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 3:11 pm

hahaha

I don't have to do s h 1 t in order to start trying to explain how to go beyond general relativity. All I have to do is be a BS detector. :D

Everything's a Scam

:mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
I'm going to take that as a "No."

Isaac Newton derived Kepler's Laws from his theory of gravity in 1687. The Laws are named for Kepler because he recognised them in 1619, as consistent patterns shown in many years of observations of planets. If you can't derive Kepler's Laws from your theory, you are at least three hundred and fifty years behind the state of the art in gravitational theory.
And yet this doesn't address what gravity is. It's..."scholarship about scholarship." :D

The Study of Mediocrity
It's instructive to go to a professional professors' meeting
In my field, which is philosophy, you got to a congress of philosophers
And you'll find, when they all get together in the bar or in the restaurant, in somebody's room
The one thing they don't talk about is philosophy
It is very bad form indeed to show interest in philosophy among your colleagues
The same is exactly true in clergy gatherings. They don't talk about religion
What they both talk about is politics, church politics and academic politics
'Cause it's bad form to be brilliant on a faculty, because it outclasses your colleagues
Therefore, faculty people tend to cultivate

[Chorus]
The studied mediocrity
(Studied mediocrity)
The studied mediocrity
(Studied mediocrity)

And you gotta watch out for that
I mean, if you get mobs of students coming to your lectures

You get pretty black looks from your colleagues
But you see, what it is

It's scholarship about scholarship, and not scholarship

Just as learning because learning is good for you is irrelevant to learning

The whole idea of improving yourself by learning is irrelevant to the learning process

And in the same way, doing business
Is doing business
Doing business, such as manufacturing clothes, is a very good thing to do

I could conceive that it would be extremely enjoyable

Something one could be very proud of to make good clothes

Course you need to sell them, 'cause you need to eat, but to make clothes to make money

Raises another question
Because then your interest is not in making clothes, it’s making money, and then you're gonna cheat on the clothes

And then you get an awful lot of money and you don't know what to do with it

[Chorus]
The studied mediocrity
(The studied mediocrity)
The studied mediocrity
(The studied mediocrity)
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 3:51 pm
Valo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 3:49 pm

No, it was something that came to me in the moment and I went with it! :D

Question: What is the history of the word "edumacated"

Chatgpt: The word "edumacated" is a playful or colloquial variation of the word "educated." It is often used humorously to imply that someone is educated in a less conventional or formal manner, or to mock someone's level of education.

The exact history of the word "edumacated" is difficult to trace, as it likely emerged gradually over time through informal usage in spoken language and popular culture. It is a humorous alteration of the word "educated," and its use may be influenced by regional dialects, slang, or humorous speech patterns.

The term "edumacated" is often associated with dialects or speech patterns that emphasize humor or exaggeration, and it is commonly used in informal or comedic contexts. Its usage can be found in various forms of popular culture, including comedy sketches, literature, and internet memes.

While the word "edumacated" may not have a specific documented history or origin, its playful and humorous connotations have made it a popular term for describing education in a light-hearted or sarcastic manner.
I edited my post to explain. :/ chat gpt seems to have heard of it. I don't find it humerous but I'll leave it at that.
Roger that! :)
Imwashingmypirate
God

[quote=Valo post_id=2861512 time=1715694169
The Wicker Man wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:21 am

General relativity is pure bunk. Take the underlying equation for example, E = MC^2. If C is a constant then how can C be squared and have meaning. What if the speed of light is defined as 1 of something then E = MC^2 would be just E = M1. And besides the speed of light is not a constant. It travels faster in deep space because the aether is under more pressure in deep space. So E = MC^2 is just a useful approximation. In other words it is a very big number that was useful in creating the atomic bomb. E = MC^2 is otherwise meaningless.
[/quote]

:? How can you not square a constant?

C isn't 1[m/s]. It is 299 792 458 m / s. The difference between the two is massive. Even if c slowed down, would it slow by that much? Maybe if it was absorbed completely but even then, that is a whole other story.

Maybe derive the units, it might help visualise what the equation means.

Edit, also if c was 1 and E=M, it doesn't break nature. It would just mean that the energy value was equal to the mass value. But maybe that would only be relevant in a different universe where c could indeed be so slow. In which case, the universe wouldn't be visibly expanding.
Last edited by Imwashingmypirate on Tue May 14, 2024 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Valo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:02 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 3:51 pm

Not trying to offend. :)
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Valo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 1:35 pm

It's a made up word as far as I know.

Did you make it up?

The reason I ask is because this is the exact way my dad used this word. And I thought he made it up. But I know you aren't my dad. I've seen your linked in and you are nowhere near him. So I'm just curious if it is a word that is used generally when I've never heard anyone else say it.
I don't usually say that word. It just came to me here. I had no understanding or notion that you've only heard it from you dad before. If you were to search all the forums I've ever participated in, I can't think of another time I've used that word on the forum.

Weird. :shock:
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:04 pm
Valo wrote:

Not trying to offend. :)
For the record, it is nigh impossible for you to offend me. But thank you for being considerate. :)
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
[quote=Valo post_id=2861512 time=1715694169
The Wicker Man wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:21 am

General relativity is pure bunk. Take the underlying equation for example, E = MC^2. If C is a constant then how can C be squared and have meaning. What if the speed of light is defined as 1 of something then E = MC^2 would be just E = M1. And besides the speed of light is not a constant. It travels faster in deep space because the aether is under more pressure in deep space. So E = MC^2 is just a useful approximation. In other words it is a very big number that was useful in creating the atomic bomb. E = MC^2 is otherwise meaningless.
:? How can you not square a constant?

C isn't 1[m/s]. It is 299 792 458 m / s. The difference between the two is massive. Even if c slowed down, would it slow by that much? Maybe if it was absorbed completely but even then, that is a whole other story.

Maybe derive the units, it might help visualise what the equation means.
[/quote][/quote]

The Wicker Man would be a better person to ask. I have my limits. :D
Last edited by Valo on Tue May 14, 2024 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Valo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:04 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:

Did you make it up?

The reason I ask is because this is the exact way my dad used this word. And I thought he made it up. But I know you aren't my dad. I've seen your linked in and you are nowhere near him. So I'm just curious if it is a word that is used generally when I've never heard anyone else say it.
I don't usually say that word. It just came to me here. I had no understanding or notion that you've only heard it from you dad before. If you were to search all the forums I've ever participated in, I can't think of another time I've used that word on the forum.

Weird. :shock:
Just a little bit. Kinda weirded out a little. But no worries.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I offer this video as context for what both The Wicker Man/Davidic Servant and Valo are doing. It's old and the audio is a little difficult to hear at times. But I think it is well worth watching because it shows how ordinary what they are doing is. The spirit tells me that Valo will react by claiming that the laughter and ridicule shown in the video proves that he is right because Jesus was mocked and ridiculed, too. in contrast to Valo, I don't wait until after something happens to claim that the spirit predicted it.

The Physics Department at a University regularly receives submissions setting out claims like those of The Wicker Man. They put them in a box and then review them yearly. The box is then passed on to someone else.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXSgp755DSA
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.