What is Gravity?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Physics Guy
God

Re: What is Gravity?

Post by Physics Guy »

Kepler's Laws are not "scholarship about scholarship". They are how the planets move. People have watched those things up there for millennia. Ancient Egyptians marked the patterns quite well. The planets drift around in the night sky, over weeks and months and years, gradually cycling back around the same route. Sometimes they move faster, sometimes slower. Why do they do that? Why do they move in those exact patterns, simple enough to notice how they keep on repeating, but a lot more complicated, when you watch them closely, than any simple stories can explain?

Isaac Newton figured it out. He showed how a few basic mathematical rules imply precisely those patterns. Einstein's theory reproduces the patterns as well, and gets them a bit more precisely.

You say you have a wonderful new theory that explains "what gravity is", but you can't explain the details of planetary motion the way Newton and Einstein can? I think they know gravity better than you.

Say whatever mumbo-jumbo words you want.Talk is cheap. The planets don't just move any-old-how. Can you derive Kepler's Laws?
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:09 pm
Valo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:04 pm

I don't usually say that word. It just came to me here. I had no understanding or notion that you've only heard it from you dad before. If you were to search all the forums I've ever participated in, I can't think of another time I've used that word on the forum.

Weird. :shock:
Just a little bit. Kinda weirded out a little. But no worries.
Once when I was travelling with a friend, I wanted to know if the state of Oklahoma has constitutional carry gun laws, or what the gun laws were. The friend I was driving with, didn't know the answer so we continued to our destination.

We got to the post office we were traveling too and did our business. As we were leaving the post office and getting back in to our car, a stranger, without invitation, started talking to us about how he is carrying guns in his car because Oklahoma is a constitutional carry state!

Question answered. 8-)

I'm sorry if that word triggered painful memories. I had no idea. :cry:
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Valo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:08 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:02 pm

:? How can you not square a constant?

C isn't 1[m/s]. It is 299 792 458 m / s. The difference between the two is massive. Even if c slowed down, would it slow by that much? Maybe if it was absorbed completely but even then, that is a whole other story.

Maybe derive the units, it might help visualise what the equation means.
The Wicker Man would be a better person to ask. I have my limits. :D
I edited again with an afterthought lol. I wonder if The Wicker Man is trying to explain what he is trying to say in a way that he thinks people can visualise and grasp but it kind of loses it's meaning when you have a pre existing notion for what those examples look like. It might make sense to take the essence of what he is trying to say. But the reality is different.

I don't know that I find general relativity to be beautiful. But I do find light to be beautiful. The first thing we are told is that God created light. And to most people, when we thing light we think the sun and brightness. But actually light isn't just bright rays of sun, it is a massive spectrum that goes beyond what we can detect. Even with our equipment, I believe we are limited in our knowledge of the EM spectrum. I genuinely believe there is a lot more to it that we are taught. The way light interacts with objects causing excitation and photon release allowing us to visualise interactions that are happening at an atomic level. Yes, we take it at face value. But even things like texture, dullness, shine. All of that is telling us information about an objects structure and elemental qualities. And that is thanks to light.

All of our energy comes from light. We wouldn't exist without it.

Edit again lol. Not the first thing we are told.. sorry. Super tired today.
Last edited by Imwashingmypirate on Tue May 14, 2024 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Valo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:18 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:09 pm

Just a little bit. Kinda weirded out a little. But no worries.
Once when I was travelling with a friend, I wanted to know if the state of Oklahoma has constitutional carry gun laws, or what the gun laws were. The friend I was driving with, didn't know the answer so we continued to our destination.

We got to the post office we were traveling too and did our business. As we were leaving the post office and getting back in to our car, a stranger, without invitation, started talking to us about how he is carrying guns in his car because Oklahoma is a constitutional carry state!

Question answered. 8-)

Memories weren't triggered. Don't worry. Just a strange feeling. I'm sure you've mentioned this story before.
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Physics Guy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:14 pm
Kepler's Laws are not "scholarship about scholarship". They are how the planets move. People have watched those things up there for millennia. Ancient Egyptians marked the patterns quite well. The planets drift around in the night sky, over weeks and months and years, gradually cycling back around the same route. Sometimes they move faster, sometimes slower. Why do they do that? Why do they move in those exact patterns, simple enough to notice how they keep on repeating, but a lot more complicated, when you watch them closely, than any simple stories can explain?

Isaac Newton figured it out. He showed how a few basic mathematical rules imply precisely those patterns. Einstein's theory reproduces the patterns as well, and gets them a bit more precisely.

You say you have a wonderful new theory that explains "what gravity is", but you can't explain the details of planetary motion the way Newton and Einstein can? I think they know gravity better than you.

Say whatever mumbo-jumbo words you want.Talk is cheap. The planets don't just move any-old-how. Can you derive Kepler's Laws?
Yep, all the mumbo jumbo talk is useless. I agree.

I get it. This talk threatens your expertise and your profession. It makes it seem like all the time and money to become an expert, maybe it wasn't needed!

"Anytime we buy something expensive, we don't want to admit it's a lemon!"

And right on queue this came up on my Boombox!

Sad Clown
Now, there are all sorts of ways in which religious people try to explain that it can be done
I referred already to the grace of God
You say no, you can't do the job yourself
Because the improving you is the one that needs to be improved
Therefore, you have to say, "God help me."
Now, of course, that God exists is your opinion
That God will answer your prayer is your opinion, and your idea of God is your idea of God
If you bought somebody else's script, you bought it

[Chorus]
I can be the singer or the clown
In every room
In every room
In every room
In every room

Maybe your mother and father talked to you about God in a very impressive way
But basically, you bought their idea
And if you're a father yourself, I'm a grandfather now, I've got five grandchildren
And I know I'm as stupid as my own grandfather must have been
You know, I am one, I sit there in the position which they look at
They go, "Oh, wow-wee, there's an important man."
I know that I'm just like anyone else
So I hope my children are not believing things on my authority
Because it's always their authority
If I look impressive and make big noises at them
They've just been taken in

[Chorus]
[Man]: Sounds like an easy religion
In every room
[Man]: Let's not be so sure
[Man]: No wonder we're suffering
[Man]: I've chosen you
In every room

[Chorus]
In every room
In every room
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:22 pm
Valo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:18 pm

Question answered. 8-)

Memories weren't triggered. Don't worry. Just a strange feeling. I'm sure you've mentioned this story before.
I think I can relate. Thanks for sharing that. It helps me as well because I am on a journey too. :)
Imwashingmypirate
God

Physics Guy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:14 pm

We had to derive so many equations that I wouldn't be surprised if I have derived them lol. The ones I remember working on are the laws of thermodynamics. Ugh.
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:00 am
Where does the word "edumacated" come from? I've only heard one other person use that word.
It's used somewhat in America. Possibly used to poke fun at someone's education (or lack thereof) but also used as a comedic phrase by people who like word play and or self deprecating humor. Basically it's fun to say. "I may not have much sense but I'm edumacated."
Imwashingmypirate
God

Bond wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:33 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:00 am
Where does the word "edumacated" come from? I've only heard one other person use that word.
It's used somewhat in America. Possibly used to poke fun at someone's education (or lack thereof) but also used as a comedic phrase by people who like word play and or self deprecating humor. Basically it's fun to say. "I may not have much sense but I'm edumacated."
:)
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:20 pm
Valo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:08 pm

The Wicker Man would be a better person to ask. I have my limits. :D
I edited again with an afterthought lol. I wonder if The Wicker Man is trying to explain what he is trying to say in a way that he thinks people can visualise and grasp but it kind of loses it's meaning when you have a pre existing notion for what those examples look like. It might make sense to take the essence of what he is trying to say. But the reality is different.

I don't know that I find general relativity to be beautiful. But I do find light to be beautiful. The first thing we are told is that God created light. And to most people, when we thing light we think the sun and brightness. But actually light isn't just bright rays of sun, it is a massive spectrum that goes beyond what we can detect. Even with our equipment, I believe we are limited in our knowledge of the EM spectrum. I genuinely believe there is a lot more to it that we are taught. The way light interacts with objects causing excitation and photon release allowing us to visualise interactions that are happening at an atomic level. Yes, we take it at face value. But even things like texture, dullness, shine. All of that is telling us information about an objects structure and elemental qualities. And that is thanks to light.

All of our energy comes from light. We wouldn't exist without it.

Edit again lol. Not the first thing we are told.. sorry. Super tired today.
I'd be curious to know.

If gravity is a property of the moving ether, what is light?

It is a very interesting question to explore.

It's something I will be thinking about and will share any insights I might get.