Numbers...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Re: Numbers...

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

You're arguing that you are/aren't arguing lol.

If I recall correctly, Schrödingers cat is a probability thing. I think the idea is that because we can't observe what's happening in the box without manipulating the results merely by observation, we have to assume that the cat is both dead and alive at the same time. Much like wave particle duality. The double split experiment shows that electrons behave both as a wave and a particle depending on whether it is being observed or not. I don't believe the electron knows it is being observed so behaves differently. I also don't believe that it is actually behaving differently. I think it has more to do with the reference point of the observer than anything to do with the nature of the electron
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:27 pm

If I recall correctly, Schrödingers cat is a probability thing. I think the idea is that because we can't observe what's happening in the box without manipulating the results merely by observation, we have to assume that the cat is both dead and alive at the same time. Much like wave particle duality. The double split experiment shows that electrons behave both as a wave and a particle depending on whether it is being observed or not. I don't believe the electron knows it is being observed so behaves differently. I also don't believe that it is actually behaving differently. I think it has more to do with the reference point of the observer than anything to do with the nature of the electron
Thought experiments are not arguments or assertions. They are means to show an idea. To invoke the possibility of discussion. That was my goal. :)
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Valo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 2:27 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:27 pm

Thought experiments are not arguments or assertions. They are means to show an idea. To invoke the possibility of discussion. That was my goal. :)
<3
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

"What I do. I'm a meme spreader! A meme replicator." :D

Meme Magic

Magic man. Magic words. Magic numbers. :P :lol:
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 6:19 pm
Valo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 3:19 pm

It's hard to get this idea across and as you can tell there is already resistance because it flies in the face of what we have been trained to see.

The idea here is to look at things from a different point of view. Not in a dogmatic, you must believe way, but perhaps there is something we can gain from looking at things this way.

We construct meaning. What purpose is there, really? Nobody actually knows. Lots of people claim to know and you got all sorts of religions and cults and everything telling us this is what life is about. But they are all humans saying that. How do they know? They don't? Nobody has ever, ever, proved anything about the afterlife, ever. It's all faith it's all speculative. Doesn't mean it isn't real just means nobody really knows no matter how many Jesus experiences you have had or visions etc.

So some humility is required. A recognition that we really don't know, not really.

But what is anything, really? We really don't know.

Perhaps things are not as they seem.

If we explore the idea behind the barges representing space craft, what can we get from that?
Well yes. I see what you are saying. But that's why we discuss it. Thought experiments. We will never know for sure. That doesn't mean everything is meaningless in either definition. It would be very easy to create a meaningless existence but to me, what would be the point? I do think there are signs of a higher existence. There are so many beautiful and amazing things in our experiences. You could pick anything and find amazement in how it works and how so many things exist because of other things. Like we keep the bacteria in us alive but they also help us. Do you think the bacteria have any idea of our existence?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtYKDzXwDEE discusses amicable, social and aspiring numbers. Also a few that we just don’t know what eventually becomes of them, because even modern super computers lack sufficient power to figure them out.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Numbers, all alone in the moonlight
I can dream of the old days
Life was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the numbers live again.

-- 1984 Casio Pocket Calculator
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_PC-1211 wrote:
The Sharp PC-1211 is the first pocket computer ever released, marketed by Sharp Corporation in March 1980.[1][2] The computer was powered by two 4-bit CPUs laid out in power-saving CMOS circuitry. One acted as the main CPU, the other dealt with the input/output and display interface. Users could write computer programs in BASIC.
Ha. :lol:

This was my sharpest purchase with funds earned working at the Church Office Building.

(Thanks to y’all that enabled my purchase, by paying your many tithing funds.) :mrgreen:

March 1980 really was a magical time.
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

drumdude wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:37 am
Marcus wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:36 am
Not weird, not magical. You just need to understand the properties of numbers. Do you need help with this set also?
Wait til he discovers numbers can have other bases than just base 10.
Which base are you using for the "10" ? :)
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

malkie wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:26 pm
What number does 10 represent in any base?

What about 1000 and 1111 in base ten valuations. :?:
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

malkie wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:26 pm
drumdude wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:37 am

Wait til he discovers numbers can have other bases than just base 10.
Base 0xAF is a fun one.