The High Spy MEGATHREAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Re: The High Spy MEGATHREAD

Post by Bret Ripley »

High Spy wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:08 pm
Bret Ripley wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:36 pm
He only predicts significant earthquakes, and since he didn't predict this one it is obviously insignificant. Ta. Da.
There was a purpose to the pattern =~ 75083 & here.
The prediction was wrong, but they still lived happily ever after. The End.
Also a hint about what’s keeping Valo so busy lately.
I hope he's helping build a larger version of the Gravity Rocket Launcher. I guess they're technically not rockets (no propulsion) but I can overlook a lot when a counter-weight trebuchet is involved.
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Moksha wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 11:02 pm
High Spy, do you remember Tom Barberi on the radio? He was on KALL 910 in Salt Lake for about 30 years.
Also a hint about what’s keeping Valo so busy lately.
Building a Flux Capacitor?
Yea, I heard Tom on the radio a few times, why do you ask. :?:

He’s rocketing things upward and onward but without rear discharge so we're not sure exactly how to describe it. Perhaps they’re Gravity Powered pre Rockets. Like prepubescent rockets before they acquire an engine. :lol:

No worries, I’m sure Rocket Man will sort out this mass of confusion, like it never happened.

(Mass, but not Weight) :mrgreen:

What does a scale really measure. :?:
Last edited by High Spy on Fri May 17, 2024 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:41 am

I hope he's helping build a larger version of the Gravity Rocket Launcher. I guess they're technically not rockets (no propulsion) but I can overlook a lot when a counter-weight trebuchet is involved.
Rocket Shaped Projectiles. :idea:

What you building there Jonny. :?:

It’s me Gravity Powered Rocket Shaped Projectile. 8-)

Gravity Powered Gliders may launch atop goal posts for a half time show of Geek Football, but with gliders rather than a ball. The gliders would have remote controlled flight surfaces to target ground vehicles. Each team would have a few ground vehicles that would attempt to catch or intercept said glider, and run drive it in to score a touchdown. The defense would attempt ramming maneuvers, etc.

Alas, the current model is like training wheels on a bicycle. The smaller size is intended to fill a school gymnasium while keeping things safe and affordable for everyone. Much like Pine Wood Derbies came about, because the big kids wouldn’t let the little kids enter Soap Box Derbies. Hopefully me patent guy will know what to call it.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

High Spy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 8:45 am
Bret Ripley wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:41 am

Rocket Shaped Projectiles. :idea:

What you building there Jonny. :?:

It’s me Gravity Powered Rocket Shaped Projectile. 8-)

Gravity Powered Gliders may launch atop goal posts for a half time show of Geek Football, but with gliders rather than a ball. The gliders would have remote controlled flight surfaces to target ground vehicles. Each team would have a few ground vehicles that would attempt to catch or intercept said glider, and run drive it in to score a touchdown. The defense would attempt ramming maneuvers, etc.

Alas, the current model is like training wheels on a bicycle. The smaller size is intended to fill a school gymnasium while keeping things safe and affordable for everyone. Much like Pine Wood Derbies came about, because the big kids wouldn’t let the little kids enter Soap Box Derbies. Hopefully me patent guy will know what to call it.
I hope it goes well. I look forward to seeing how it grows. Do the kids design just the rocket or do they get to alter the variables in the launcher too?
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 8:55 am

I hope it goes well. I look forward to seeing how it grows. Do the kids design just the rocket or do they get to alter the variables in the launcher too?
Thank you for the well wishes. :!:

The kids only design and build their rocket or glider, which have a max weight of 3 ounces.

The launcher is intended as a teaching aid, where it can be demonstrated what happens if the drop weight is changed, by filling it with only six gallons, rather than the usual seven. :?:

Changing the height of the table that it is placed on is another variable that is easily demonstrated. The main launcher characteristic is uniformity so everyone gets an equal launch.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

High Spy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:29 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 8:55 am

Thank you for the well wishes. :!:

The kids only design and build their rocket or glider, which have a max weight of 3 ounces.

The launcher is intended as a teaching aid, where it can be demonstrated what happens if the drop weight is changed, by filling it with only six gallons, rather than the usual seven. :?:

Changing the height of the table that it is placed on is another variable that is easily demonstrated. The main launcher characteristic is uniformity so everyone gets an equal launch.
Sounds cool. I expect it is hard to adapt to make it into a physics experiment. But younger kids would love making gliders.
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

The angle of release is another easy change made to the launcher, but our initial targets are the minds of eight year olds, which just so happen to be in third grade. Said GPRSPs are actually much easier to build than derby cars, and certainly more resilient, even designed to bounce on impact. 2nd and even 1st graders should be up for derbies too. Really individuals of any age may find them a fun activity. They’ll likely collide while bouncing making for some fun slow motion videos of the lucky bounce wizard getting lucky. :lol:

It’s all physics in action, but will look like total chaos has broken loose. It will be interesting to see the winning designs evolve like what happened with derby cars, that now only ride on three wheels, even though they have four. This saves the tiny bit of angular energy that Res Ipsa described when he attempted to measure g.
Last edited by High Spy on Fri May 17, 2024 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

High Spy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:04 pm
The angle of release is another easy change made to the launcher, but our initial targets are the minds of eight year olds, which just so happen to be in third grade. Said GPRSPs are actually much easier to build than derby cars, and certainly more resilient, even designed to bounce on impact. 2nd and even 1st graders should be up for derbies too. Really individuals of any age may find them a fun activity. They’ll likely collide while bouncing making for some fun slow motion videos of the lucky bounce wizard getting lucky. :lol:

It’s all physics in action, but will look like total chaos has broken loose. It will be interesting to see the winning designs evolve like what happened with derby cars, that now only ride on three wheels, even though they have four. This saves the tiny bit of angular energy that Res Ispa described when he attempted to measure g.
That's interesting! Did pinewood derby cars change to three wheels?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:57 pm

They still mount four wheels, but the fasted cars float one so it doesn’t spin.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

High Spy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 6:56 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:57 pm

They still mount four wheels, but the fasted cars float one so it doesn’t spin.
Interesting. Thanks!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.