Seeing Things Differently -DanP the apologist excuse.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Morley
God

Re: Seeing Things Differently -DanP the apologist excuse.

Post by Morley »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 8:18 pm

It is interesting, at least to me, that there seems to be such an adamant stand some are taking here against free will.
No one is taking an adamant stand that there is no free will. Some are exploring why there might not be free will, what happens if there is no free will, what are the evidences for and against free will, how much free will there might be or not be, the meaning of the free will, whether the concept of free will even makes sense, etc.

This seems to offend you.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Morley wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:01 pm
Morley wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 7:00 pm

Not sure what you're talking about, MG. I'm not aware of anyone here who who is unable or unwilling to acknowledge the privileges and advantages that they've been granted. Everyone I've read here seems to recognize how lucky they are, compared to many others.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Go back and read the first two paragraphs that you didn’t quote. Limitations. We all have them. There are those that either don’t see or are unwilling to see those limitations in themselves (the inability to accept and/or describe free will for example) that essentially disallow them to make conclusive statements about the free will that others claim to have.

I'm still not sure what you're talking about. I'm not aware of anyone here who who is unable or unwilling to acknowledge the limitations and the disadvantages that they carry. Everyone I've read here seems to recognize how constrained they personally are.
MG 2.0 wrote:
My point, as I think I’ve already made, is that those that claim to have an additional measure of intelligence, health, freedom, education, or what have you, ought to be the humblest of all. The Savior himself has taught that where much is given much is expected. And for those in this ‘blessed’ category of humans to then use that additional light and knowledge and agency to then disparage that very gift that allows them to conclusively tell others they do not have free will, that it is an illusion, is the pinnacle of arrogance and hubris, in my humble opinion of course.
Who here has claimed "to have an additional measure of intelligence, health, freedom, education, or what have you"?

The only one I've read here lately who is explicitly claiming to have an additional measure of anything is you. You're claiming to have the light and spirit of Christ and then turning around and using it to rebuke everyone else.
MG 2.0 wrote:
It is interesting, at least to me, that there seems to be such an adamant stand some are taking here against free will.
Recognizing or believing in free will and being humble (or whatever it is you're talking about) are not the same thing.
MG 2.0 wrote:
I would expect there may be motives for that. Just as I may have motives for believing that free will exists.
What are these motives you suspect others are holstering?
MG 2.0 wrote:
Why not accept the fact that we may see the world differently?
Seriously? Who here does not "accept the fact that we may see the world differently? " Maybe you'll quote someone who seems to think we all see the world in the same way?
Exactly.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Morley wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:14 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

No one is taking an adamant stand that there is no free will. Some are exploring why there might not be free will, what happens if there is no free will, what are the evidences for and against free will, how much free will there might be or not be, the meaning of the free will, whether the concept of free will even makes sense, etc.

I tip my 🎩 to you, sir.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Mg, perhaps there is some confusion as to what you mean by free will. I think a good or workable definition would be the ability to learn from experience and knowledge and change actions into new patterns as a result of this thought and learning. I think it is clear that humans have this ability. I think my dog does as well but not with the extent that humans have. This free will humans have is essential to their survival success as well as the human ability to create all sorts of new things.

Do you have a different view of what free agency is?

Is there a way that an understanding free agency would explain that strange picture of liberty burnt at the stake by education technology culture blm and people who vote democratic? The picture does not make sense to me.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Almost a box of their own making. My opinion.
I see. Does this include the argument I made in favor of free will a few pages back? In fact, I've cleaned that argument up -- my argument in FAVOR of free will, and emailed it to Sam Harris. I doubt he'll get it let alone respond, but I've been surprised by some of the responses I've got from people, so who knows.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It seems MG’s definition of free will is just “I know it when I see it, and I see it.”
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:14 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

Ah, might not. Well then, OK. 😉 I suppose I don’t have a problem with hypotheticals. I’ve been known to throw out one or two here and there.

Not offended. Just a bit perplexed as to why all the kurfluffle.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 8:34 pm
MG, for whatever reason, isn't really able or willing to understand what the various positions in an argument are whether it's this topic or any number of other topics. I didn't expect much more from his response.
In regards to free will and the various positions that might be taken as to whether or not it is essentially an illusion or it is something that simply exists I speak as one who has seen and continue to see the world through my own experience.

Kind of a hands on kind of guy.

I really don’t need someone telling me that I don’t have free will when I know that I do.

It’s really very simple. Why make something so readily apparent so complex? For what reason?

C’mon guys! Get real. You’re up in the clouds. 😉

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:01 pm

I'm still not sure what you're talking about.
I’m a simple man. I see things as I see them.

Free will exists. We have the agency to choose.

And we are accountable.

Regards,
MG
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I really don’t need someone telling me that I don’t have free will when I know that I do.
Prior to writing this sentence, could you have chosen not to write it? Specifically, if your brain was in the exact same state it was just as you began to type, could you have chosen not to type it?