What is Gravity?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: What is Gravity?

Post by Gadianton »

His equation was good enough to build a bomb that destroys. That's about it.
HIs equations explain just about everything in modern engineering, not just calculating orbits and yields in nuclear reactions where matter is changed to energy, but how that mysterious power source works that makes your computer go, such that you can type these nonsense posts of yours and worship the DS from a safe distance.

Your buddy High Spy can have a sit-down with you one day and explain it better than I can, as an EE major. Suffice it to say, the special relativity examples of objects moving -- trains, skateboards, flashlights, jump ropes, measuring rods, and clocks -- is the less abstract way to learn about it. Special relativity actually comes from problems that arose in the study of electricity and magnetism and trying to account for how electricity and magnetism are observed across inertial frames. And what makes it so much worse for the DS, is that relativity was just one of Einstein's many contributions. He had throw-way stuff like Brownian motion that for anyone else, would have been a discovery worthy of making them at least a science demi-god.
Valo
Priest

Post by Valo »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 6:49 pm
His equation was good enough to build a bomb that destroys. That's about it.
HIs equations explain just about everything in modern engineering, not just calculating orbits and yields in nuclear reactions where matter is changed to energy, but how that mysterious power source works that makes your computer go, such that you can type these nonsense posts of yours and worship the DS from a safe distance.

Your buddy High Spy can have a sit-down with you one day and explain it better than I can, as an EE major. Suffice it to say, the special relativity examples of objects moving -- trains, skateboards, flashlights, jump ropes, measuring rods, and clocks -- is the less abstract way to learn about it. Special relativity actually comes from problems that arose in the study of electricity and magnetism and trying to account for how electricity and magnetism are observed across inertial frames. And what makes it so much worse for the DS, is that relativity was just one of Einstein's many contributions. He had throw-way stuff like Brownian motion that for anyone else, would have been a discovery worthy of making them at least a science demi-god.
That is your faith for sure. It's a crazy religion you followers of Albert. :D
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

Valo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:04 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 6:49 pm

I don't think The Wicker Man dismisses science and he certainly doesn't deny what is taught. He just states that what he shares is what he felt impressed by the spirit. So it doesn't do him favours to be trying to adjust years of science study to fit hit theories and intuitive beliefs. I don't think we need to go as far as to debunk very well known theories.

I used to be very intuitive. I used to believe in an ether. I used to think gravity as we are taught seems like crap. Now I'm not sure I care lol. I spend most of my days worrying that my kids are going to die which makes me have a type of OCD. So I'm not sure I have the energy to dig in deep right now. WTF???? TINY FLY FLEW UP MY NOSE. THEY DO THAT ALL THE TIME. JUST AIM DIRECTLY. MY NOSE ISNT A CAVE!!! USUALLY IM WALKING SO I can say they misjudged but I'm sat down and it just aimed exactly and flew up their with so much confidence I am wondering if my nose is actually it's home and I didn't know. That's going to disturb me all night now. I forgot what I was saying.... :O feel violated.
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:18 pm
Valo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:04 pm

I don't think The Wicker Man dismisses science and he certainly doesn't deny what is taught. He just states that what he shares is what he felt impressed by the spirit. So it doesn't do him favours to be trying to adjust years of science study to fit hit theories and intuitive beliefs. I don't think we need to go as far as to debunk very well known theories.

I used to be very intuitive. I used to believe in an ether. I used to think gravity as we are taught seems like crap. Now I'm not sure I care lol. I spend most of my days worrying that my kids are going to die which makes me have a type of OCD. So I'm not sure I have the energy to dig in deep right now. WTF???? TINY FLY FLEW UP MY NOSE. THEY DO THAT ALL THE TIME. JUST AIM DIRECTLY. MY NOSE ISNT A CAVE!!! USUALLY IM WALKING SO I can say they misjudged but I'm sat down and it just aimed exactly and flew up their with so much confidence I am wondering if my nose is actually it's home and I didn't know. That's going to disturb me all night now. I forgot what I was saying.... :O feel violated.
The Wicker Man was once referred to as The Lord of the Flies by creator at LDSFF due to a similar story where flys vanished. Even here for whatever reason my rational poll about his inviting a 7.3 magnitude earthquake went by the wayside. The DS is said to be marred, but it won’t hurt him. Hiding from the truth is hurting us.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I don't think The Wicker Man dismisses science and he certainly doesn't deny what is taught.
The problem that the DS and Valo have is they don't realize how thoroughly embedded relativity is within a huge sweep of the science that makes the modern world work.

What happens is they skip to the back of the book, find the biggest, most impressive problem, and go there. Gravity. Gravity is a mystery. Gravity doesn't reconcile with quantum mechanics. Wow, it's a total head scratcher. You'd think the "religion" of science would never even be able to admit that they don't know? How come there are so many YouTube videos with religious loyalists admitting the mystery of gravity?

But Valo and the Davidic servant know! Never having completed a single science experiment in their lives, they've already gone straight to the hardest problem of all problems, provide the answer, and then get mad at anyone who isn't willing to accept their answers because they say so.

And so I disagree with you. I think I get what you're saying, maybe he doesn't explicitly dispute anything but gravity, I don't know, but in doing so, he's implicitly disputing more of science than not when he does so.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

High Spy wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:27 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:

The Wicker Man was once referred to as The Lord of the Flies by creator at LDSFF due to a similar story where flys vanished. Even here for whatever reason my rational poll about his inviting a 7.3 magnitude earthquake went by the wayside. The DS is said to be marred, but it won’t hurt him. Hiding from the truth is hurting us.
I didn't answer your poll because I didn't know the answer. I don't believe The Wicker Man is anymore special than any of us. But I do find interest in what he says. Not enough to follow him. I'm not sure where he is marred. People aren't really giving him a hard time. I don't know if the earthquakes are coincidence or not. I actually didn't see him post prophecies, I've only ever seen people talking about him prophesying. I tend to see him talk but without assurity. He doesn't actually say he is the DS. He just implies he is. But I do believe there is enough magic and mystery in the world to wonder.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

High Spy wrote:
Imwashingmypirate wrote:

Did they vanish up my nose? I don't even know where it went. I blew my nose. No sign.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:36 pm
I don't think The Wicker Man dismisses science and he certainly doesn't deny what is taught.
The problem that the DS and Valo have is they don't realize how thoroughly embedded relativity is within a huge sweep of the science that makes the modern world work.

What happens is they skip to the back of the book, find the biggest, most impressive problem, and go there. Gravity. Gravity is a mystery. Gravity doesn't reconcile with quantum mechanics. Wow, it's a total head scratcher. You'd think the "religion" of science would never even be able to admit that they don't know? How come there are so many YouTube videos with religious loyalists admitting the mystery of gravity?

But Valo and the Davidic servant know! Never having completed a single science experiment in their lives, they've already gone straight to the hardest problem of all problems, provide the answer, and then get mad at anyone who isn't willing to accept their answers because they say so.

And so I disagree with you. I think I get what you're saying, maybe he doesn't explicitly dispute anything but gravity, I don't know, but in doing so, he's implicitly disputing more of science than not when he does so.
When questioned he just says it is what the spirit told him.

I think he is following intuition.
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:42 pm
High Spy wrote:
Did they vanish up my nose? I don't even know where it went. I blew my nose. No sign.
Spy is glad it was easily remedied, everyone knows two brains are better than one, even if one is a fly brain. :lol:

Here is a link to a recreation of said poll: The Spirit was supplied an opportunity to respond. :?:
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

High Spy wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:14 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:42 pm
Spy is glad it was easily remedied, everyone knows two brains are better than one, even if one is a fly brain. :lol:

Here is a link to a recreation of said poll: The Spirit was supplied an opportunity to respond. :?:
Not sure how much use a fly brain would be :lol:
Fly vision might be useful.
that's the poll I saw.