Interpreter Publishes Bokovoy Article 9 Years Later...Without His Permission

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Interpreter Publishes Bokovoy Article 9 Years Later...Without His Permission

Post by drumdude »

I, for one, hope this is the first of many, many articles from The Interpreter that the authors eventually come to disavow.

The work continues.

David Bokovoy wrote:I honestly cannot pin point the moment I knew that the Book of Mormon wasn’t ancient. I don’t know. But it’s been a while, even though I wouldn’t admit it to myself. In fact, a major driver for my publications connecting the Book of Mormon with the ancient world was that I was trying desperately to make the book be something that it wasn’t. I wanted the Book of Mormon to be an ancient record. In truth, I still do. But it is not, and it has taken me many, many years to work through my feelings on that matter.

I sincerely apologize, therefore, to those who have been in my classes or who have read my work. I wish that I had been stronger. All I can say is that I loved the LDS Church and its scriptures so deeply that I could not allow myself to face this topic with as much honesty and integrity as I wish I would have.
It's refreshing to hear a former LDS believer and apologist be so intellectually honest.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Interpreter Publishes Bokovoy Article 9 Years Later...Without His Permission

Post by Dr Exiled »

Losing Dr. Bokovoy is more evidence that $LDS, Inc. has chosen the wrong road. It should be Apostle Bokovoy leading the youth and adults alike toward living a full life of bbq, enjoying the outdoors and serving others. He's more Jesus(y) than the current leadership could ever be.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

This is an odd response from Wyatt:
Daved6 • a day ago

One must wonder, why was he not notified when it was decided to republish his piece? That seems to be the height of disrespect.

Also, since he indicated he disagreed with your decision to republish it without his permission, would you also consider taking it down? Out of respect for him if for nothing else......

-----
Allen Wyatt Daved6 • a day ago • edited

....It seems to me that the "height of disrespect" would be to skip over David's paper in the routine republishing of essays in the reprint series. Surely omitting David's fine scholarship would reach a loftier height of disrespect than republishing a paper to which the Foundation has publication rights, no?

http://disq.us/p/2hxbq56
Wyatt can't be serious. If an author wrote something they no longer agree with, and would prefer it not be republished, how can it possibly be "the 'height of disrespect' ... to skip over" and not republish that paper?

This is so unprofessional. I can't even imagine what goes on in Wyatt's head to seriously write that.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Yeah, there is a reason why we find this so distasteful.

It is.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

I don’t agree with the part of Ford’s comment that refers to BYU, but this is spot on:
[The Interpreter] is seeking filler content in its new publishing timeline by taking old articles one-by-one and republishing them anew. It is smart because each article is likely to gain more readership/exposure than would result from a mass online dump of old material. As they work through the old material, "This article was next!" Dr. Peterson assures us. But this is not an ethical defense. Because they are publishing anew the material, they have an ethical obligation to not deceive or misrepresent the current views of any scholar whom they are republishing.

The old article supports the agenda of the journal and Dr. Bokovoy's current understanding of the Temple and Jacob do not support the agenda of the journal. So ethics be damned; full speed ahead. It is obvious (clearly and without question) that what the Interpreter is doing here is unethical because it is likely to deceive its current readers as to the current views of Dr. Bokovoy.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Bravo to Dr. Bokovoy with this heartfelt and compelling response. And it's ingenious, in a way. Whereas Interpreter began by hoping to dole out a passive-aggressive slight, now they're stuck having published an article by a full-blown apostate scholar who thinks that the Book of Mormon is a work of 19th century fiction. Well done, Mopologists! Maybe they'll invite Jonathan Neville to submit an article next, on the location of the Hill Cumorah?

In any case, it's hard to disagree with what others have already pointed out--i.e., that Bokovoy is a class-act. I'm glad to hear that he's not only doing well, but thriving.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

....It seems to me that the "height of disrespect" would be to skip over David's paper in the routine republishing of essays in the reprint series. Surely omitting David's fine scholarship would reach a loftier height of disrespect than republishing a paper to which the Foundation has publication rights, no?

Why did the paper gather dust for nine years? I've wondered if they included the paper just to have a more academically oriented article after the last publication by Dr. Gee?

Is Allen Wyatt unaware of anything that has transpired with Dr. Bokovoy during the last nine years?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:01 am

Why did the paper gather dust for nine years? I've wondered if they included the paper just to have a more academically oriented article after the last publication by Dr. Gee?

Is Allen Wyatt unaware of anything that has transpired with Dr. Bokovoy during the last nine years?
Its peterson's petty payback for challenging the interpreter hack. These guys are hopeless clowns and have to resort to this type of chicken revenge because they have no ammunition other than personal attacks. I was going to see witnesses but luckily was told about The Return of Elder Pingree, an amazing film that can be streamed on Amazon Prime. It is an honest portrayal of real life in contrast to the witnesses and their testimony to delusion or whatever. But Elder Pingree isn't beholden to a position that must be held come hell or high water, no matter how silly it seems, no matter how petty one needs to be. So, he can be honest with his questions and doubts, unlike our clown apologist brethren, unlike the goddamned witnesses.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
¥akaSteelhead
Deacon

Post by ¥akaSteelhead »

eulalia on June 30, 2021 at 11:37 pm said:
I appreciate your honesty and your journey, and wish you well. Just a question from one who is a believer in the ancient text of the Book of Mormon, how do you explain away the witnesses and their gold plates testimonies?
Oh that is fun.
1. the in the ground physical evidence, biological, archeological, yada - directly contradicts the Book of Mormon narrative.
2. Joseph Smith was able to get people involved in polygamy to sign sworn affidavits stating that the church wasn't practicing polygamy - so witness testimony, especially when Joseph Smith is involved, isn't worth much.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

¥akaSteelhead wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:20 pm
eulalia on June 30, 2021 at 11:37 pm said:
I appreciate your honesty and your journey, and wish you well. Just a question from one who is a believer in the ancient text of the Book of Mormon, how do you explain away the witnesses and their gold plates testimonies?
Oh that is fun.
1. the in the ground physical evidence, biological, archeological, yada - directly contradicts the Book of Mormon narrative.
2. Joseph Smith was able to get people involved in polygamy to sign sworn affidavits stating that the church wasn't practicing polygamy - so witness testimony, especially when Joseph Smith is involved, isn't worth much.
Kevin took a passive aggressive swipe.
Bon voyage, David. As is typically the case over many decades of my own inquiries, when I read this sort of thing, whether Bertrand Russell’s Why I Am Not a Christian, or Coe or Taves and various others, or a wide range of LDS exit narratives, the dominant impression in my mind, is that the God or faith or Book of Mormon that you no longer believe in is radically different than the one I believe in. Same seeds (words). Different soil
and nurture. Different harvest. And so often, the problem is not the new wine, but the need for a wine bottle to contain it. That is Jesus previewing the effect of paradigms on the information at hand. A different paradigm can lead to a very different result. And I can always reflect on the fact that if I had taken my leave way back when, I would have missed so much I now cherish and value, and I would have had no idea what I was missing.

But as Joseph Smith puts it, in a discourse late in his life, “But while one portion of the human race is judging and condemning the other without mercy, the Great Parent of the universe looks upon the whole of the human family with a fatherly care and paternal regard; He views them as His offspring, and without any of those contracted feelings that influence the children of man, causes “His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.” He holds the reins of judgment in His hands; He is a wise Lawgiver, and will judge all men, not according to the narrow, contracted notions of men, but, “according to the deeds done in the body whether they be good or evil,” or whether these deeds were done in England, America, Spain, Turkey, or India. He will judge them, “not according to what they have not, but according to what they have,” those who have lived without law, will be judged without law, and those who have a law, will by judged by that law. We need not doubt the wisdom and intelligence of the Great Jehovah; He will award judgment or mercy to all nations according to their several deserts, their means of obtaining intelligence, the laws by which they are governed, the facilities afforded them of obtaining correct information, and His inscrutable designs in relation to the human family; and when the designs of God shall be made manifest, and the curtain of futurity be withdrawn, we shall all of us eventually have to confess that the Judge of all the earth has done right.”