Interpreter Publishes Bokovoy Article 9 Years Later...Without His Permission

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
The Stig
Valiant B

Re: Interpreter Publishes Bokovoy Article 9 Years Later...Without His Permission

Post by The Stig »

Rivendale wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:58 pm
¥akaSteelhead wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:20 pm

Oh that is fun.
1. the in the ground physical evidence, biological, archeological, yada - directly contradicts the Book of Mormon narrative.
2. Joseph Smith was able to get people involved in polygamy to sign sworn affidavits stating that the church wasn't practicing polygamy - so witness testimony, especially when Joseph Smith is involved, isn't worth much.
Kevin took a passive aggressive swipe.
Bon voyage, David. As is typically the case over many decades of my own inquiries, when I read this sort of thing, whether Bertrand Russell’s Why I Am Not a Christian, or Coe or Taves and various others, or a wide range of LDS exit narratives, the dominant impression in my mind, is that the God or faith or Book of Mormon that you no longer believe in is radically different than the one I believe in. Same seeds (words). Different soil
and nurture. Different harvest. And so often, the problem is not the new wine, but the need for a wine bottle to contain it. That is Jesus previewing the effect of paradigms on the information at hand. A different paradigm can lead to a very different result. And I can always reflect on the fact that if I had taken my leave way back when, I would have missed so much I now cherish and value, and I would have had no idea what I was missing.

But as Joseph Smith puts it, in a discourse late in his life, “But while one portion of the human race is judging and condemning the other without mercy, the Great Parent of the universe looks upon the whole of the human family with a fatherly care and paternal regard; He views them as His offspring, and without any of those contracted feelings that influence the children of man, causes “His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.” He holds the reins of judgment in His hands; He is a wise Lawgiver, and will judge all men, not according to the narrow, contracted notions of men, but, “according to the deeds done in the body whether they be good or evil,” or whether these deeds were done in England, America, Spain, Turkey, or India. He will judge them, “not according to what they have not, but according to what they have,” those who have lived without law, will be judged without law, and those who have a law, will by judged by that law. We need not doubt the wisdom and intelligence of the Great Jehovah; He will award judgment or mercy to all nations according to their several deserts, their means of obtaining intelligence, the laws by which they are governed, the facilities afforded them of obtaining correct information, and His inscrutable designs in relation to the human family; and when the designs of God shall be made manifest, and the curtain of futurity be withdrawn, we shall all of us eventually have to confess that the Judge of all the earth has done right.”
David's response to Kevin Christensen's post was perfection:
Kevin C: “Bon Voyage, David. My blessings are so amazing, and my God is going to judge you for your knowledge! Sucks to be you!”

Kevin, I know your words were meant to sting because you’re hurt. But here’s the reality–as you reflect upon how much you cherish and value as an active member of the LDS Church, if you were truly happy, you wouldn’t turn to social media and try to better or hurt others that have chosen a different spiritual journey from yours.

I feel sorry for you, my man. And I do not say that with condescension. It is absolutely sincere. Because I know what it’s like to be where you are, but you have no idea what it is like to ride the bike without training wheels.

I truly hope someday you will, but if that day does or even does not happen, I promise, either way, you won’t find me posting judgment against you on social media. I’ll simply wish you joy and peace.
Shulem
God

Healing balm for David B.

Post by Shulem »

Gadianton
God

Re: Interpreter Publishes Bokovoy Article 9 Years Later...Without His Permission

Post by Gadianton »

reviewing the effect of paradigms on the information at hand. A different paradigm can lead to a very different result.
Does this guy ever stop?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Wow, what a stupid thing for Kevin Christiansen to say.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
¥akaSteelhead
Deacon

Post by ¥akaSteelhead »

Not just stupid, assholish.
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:27 am
Does this guy ever stop?
No. That guy has been talking about paradigms since 1995, he'll only stop making the same points when he is called home by our Heavenly Father.