Election Litigation Status

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
subgenius
Stake President

Re: Election Litigation Scorecard

Post by subgenius »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:48 pm
Trump would have been spinning this fake election crap back in 2016 if he had lost.
YOU ARE SO CORRECT! WOW...but instead, back in 2016 Hillary Clinton lost and, without a shred of evidence, we got Russia!Russia!Russia!...good thing nobody was spinnin.....oh, wait.
Yup, who needs facts when you got feelings, amiright.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:42 pm
My favorite Giuliani courtroom exchange:
Giuliani: In the plaintiffs' counties, they were denied the opportunity to have an unobstructed observation and ensure opacity. I'm not quite sure I know what opacity means. It probably means you can see, right?

District Judge Matthew Brann: It means you can't.

Giuliani: Big words, your honour.
...and reportedly Rudy wants $20,000 a day for his work.
I think it was a poor choice to have Giuliani lead the fight. He is too old and looks like he lost a step.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:40 pm
MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:42 pm
My favorite Giuliani courtroom exchange:

...and reportedly Rudy wants $20,000 a day for his work.
I think it was a poor choice to have Giuliani lead the fight. He is too old and looks like he lost a step.
Only. The. Best. PEOPLE. When are you going to get it?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

The Republican Secretary of State in Georgia has just certified Biden's win in that state.

The recount found that Biden beat Trump by nearly 12,000 votes

Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I can't decide what's more amusing: the idea that Giuliani thinks he's worth $20,000 a day, or the idea he thinks Trump will pay him.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

“F” it. We’ll use the legislators then.

- Ghouliani
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Chap wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:13 pm
The Republican Secretary of State in Georgia has just certified Biden's win in that state.

The recount found that Biden beat Trump by nearly 12,000 votes

And then he uncertified? Weirdest election ever. (His office says he expects to certify by the end of the day.)

Just to keep terminology straight: the hand count that GA just finished was not a "recount." By state law, the GA secretary of state has to "audit" one race each election. He picked the presidential race. He could have done the audit through sampling, but elected to do a hand count. Once the election is certified, Trump still has the right to a machine recount based on how close the race is. He has to make the request within two business days of certification.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Just so I'm clear, Giuliani likely dyed his hair before the press conference because he wanted to look better for it, right?

Golly, I can't think of anything he's done in the last few years that's completely backfired. Ah yup.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:02 pm
And then he uncertified? Weirdest election ever. (His office says he expects to certify by the end of the day.)
Yup. Certainly unusual ...

But Trump never had a hope of eating significantly into the nearly 12,000 Biden lead.

HISTORIC FIRST STATEWIDE AUDIT OF PAPER BALLOTS UPHOLDS RESULT OF PRESIDENTIAL RACE

(ATLANTA)-Today, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger announced the results of the Risk Limiting Audit of Georgia’s presidential contest, which upheld and reaffirmed the original outcome produced by the machine tally of votes cast. Due to the tight margin of the race and the principles of risk-limiting audits, this audit was a full manual tally of all votes cast. The audit confirmed that the original machine count accurately portrayed the winner of the election. The results of the audit can be viewed HERE , HERE , and HERE .

“Georgia’s historic first statewide audit reaffirmed that the state’s new secure paper ballot voting system accurately counted and reported results,” said Secretary Raffensperger. “This is a credit to the hard work of our county and local elections officials who moved quickly to undertake and complete such a momentous task in a short period of time.”

“Georgia’s first statewide audit successfully confirmed the winner of the chosen contest and should give voters increased confidence in the results,” said Ben Adida, Executive Director of VotingWorks. “We were proud to work with Georgia on this historic audit. The difference between the reported results and the full manual tally is well within the expected error rate of hand-counting ballots, and the audit was a success.”

By law, Georgia was required to conduct a Risk Limiting Audit of a statewide race following the November elections. Understanding the importance of clear and reliable results for such an important contest, Secretary Raffensperger selected the presidential race in Georgia for the audit. Meeting the confidence threshold required by law for the audit meant conducting a full manual tally of every ballot cast in Georgia.

The Risk Limiting Audit reaffirmed the outcome of the presidential race in Georgia as originally reported, with Joe Biden leading President Donald Trump in the state.

The audit process also led to counties catching making mistakes they made in their original count by not uploading all memory cards. Those counties uploaded the memory cards and re-certified their results, leading to increased accuracy in the results the state will certify.

The differential of the audit results from the original machine counted results is well within the expected margin of human error that occurs when hand-counting ballots. A 2012 study by Rice University and Clemson University found that “hand counting of votes in postelection audit or recount procedures can result in error rates of up to 2 percent.” In Georgia’s recount, the highest error rate in any county recount was .73%. Most counties found no change in their finally tally. The majority of the remaining counties had changes of fewer than ten ballots.

Because the margin is still less than 0.5%, the President can request a recount after certification of the results. That recount will be conducted by rescanning all paper ballots.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Nevada update: the judge has dismissed Marchant v. Gloria, one of the four suits by losing candidates that allege improper use of a machine to verify voter signatures. It also protested the mailing of ballots to certain addresses.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.