Shulem Cracked the Book of Mormon Code, the Land of Nephi is now revealed! See for yourself! The Golden Key!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: The prophet spoke as a prophet

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:39 pm
GOOD eye Shulem! Yeah, let em tap dance, yer gonna waltz right over them!

Thank you and let me show you more of that eye if you will. Note the photo below which I pasted in an earlier post. It's an 18th century military tract map showing various townships east of Cumorah and the Smith family farm. Young Joseph may have seen this map at some point in his life which may have instilled the idea in his mind that a battleground during the revolutionary war could be likened into a battleground setting for the ancient Americans. Note that classic Greek and Roman names are used in the map. This along with the book "Late War" may have well influenced young Joseph! It's plausible! he he <grin>

Right click on the map and select "Open image in new tab", then you can click the magnifying cursor and view the map in detail.

Rick Grunder
Sunbeam

Re: Shulem Cracked the Book of Mormon Code, the Land of Nephi is now revealed! See for yourself!

Post by Rick Grunder »

Thanks for this excellent early map of the central New York State area, Shulem -

Also notice the "Road" running east and west, about 2/5 of the way down from the top of the engraving (the Seneca Turnkpike, today's State Highway 5). This is the road on which the Smith family would have traveled from Norwich, Vermont to Palmyra, New York ca. 1816. It goes through the Oneida country and the township and Nation area of Onondaga.

The Oneida Native Americans were noted for siding with the Americans during the Revolutionary War, and became quite peaceful. Hence the peaceful Indians in the Book of Mormon's land of Onidah, and the peaceful preaching on the Hill Onidah.

Smith's early exposure to these Native names also enabled his extemporaneous reference in 1834 to Zelph's prophet Onandagus -a pseudo-latinizing, perhaps, much like the the Book of Abraham's "Egyptus."

Both Oneida and Onondaga are strictly local names which evolved in situ during the early-modern era (as opposed to anciently, in some other part of the hemisphere).

For Oneida: http://www.rickgrunder.com/parallels/mp88.pdf

For Onondaga: http://www.rickgrunder.com/parallels/mp305.pdf
“I prefer tongue-tied knowledge to ignorant loquacity.”
― Cicero, De Oratore - Book III
Shulem
God

Re: Shulem Cracked the Book of Mormon Code, the Land of Nephi is now revealed! See for yourself!

Post by Shulem »

Rick Grunder wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:58 pm
Also notice the "Road" running east and west, about 2/5 of the way down from the top of the engraving (the Seneca Turnkpike, today's State Highway 5). This is the road on which the Smith family would have traveled from Norwich, Vermont to Palmyra, New York ca. 1816. It goes through the Oneida country and the township and Nation area of Onondaga.

But of course! I failed to realize previously the east to west dotted line signified a road and yet on the east end it's clearly labeled "Road". What threw me off was that this road (dotted line) runs to both sides of Cayuga Lake. Therefore, one must therefore take a ferry to cross the lake at that point. That would seem to suggest that Joseph Smith took that ferry when his family migrated to Palmyra. Indeed, the Smith's Book of Mormon battlegrounds were a place of "many waters". Smith had first hand experience with that.
Rick Grunder
Sunbeam

Post by Rick Grunder »

Lots of water, and lots of Book of Mormon settings. The Smiths didn't use a ferry at that point, but the crossing would most certainly have burned itself into young Joseph's brain as they traversed that dark and dreary wilderness area. I think of Lehi's dream whenever I drive the approximate route where in 1816, the Smiths traversed the longest bridge in America to get across the north end of Cayuga Lake. See pages 1034-35 in the following illustrated entry:

http://www.rickgrunder.com/parallels/mp272.pdf
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Rick Grunder wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:06 pm
Lots of water, and lots of Book of Mormon settings. The Smiths didn't use a ferry at that point, but the crossing would most certainly have burned itself into young Joseph's brain as they traversed that dark and dreary wilderness area. I think of Lehi's dream whenever I drive the approximate route where in 1816, the Smiths traversed the longest bridge in America to get across the north end of Cayuga Lake. See pages 1034-35 in the following illustrated entry:

http://www.rickgrunder.com/parallels/mp272.pdf

Okay, that looks like an amazing paper I will need to soak up. Love the looks of it. And thanks for being here in this thread. I can tell you now that I have some sweet surprises up my sleeve and an outlook that devastates the apologetic argument made by some of the more faithful Mormons of the day. Moroni in Mesoamerica is doomed -- DOA. Just like there is no king's name in Facsimile No. 3, there is no Cumorah in Mesoamerica. I'm going to make a big stink about a single word that will show a mission from Mexico to New York was the furthest thing from Joseph Smith's mind.

ha ha

I would like to keep this thread respective even though it's in the Terrestrial Forum when sometimes people shoot their mouths off, like me for example. Of that, I am very, very guilty as charged. So far I've been pretty damn good, I'd say.
Shulem
God

Re: Wander

Post by Shulem »

Apologists can forget about Moroni leaving Mexico to go to New York. The text and timeline provides no such leeway for a fantasy which Mormon apologists have made up out of whole cloth. Brigham Young and other prophet-pretending propagandists can forget about Moroni going to Utah to dedicate future temple sites or whatnot, and visiting the land of Adam on the way to New York.

Let's look at Moroni's own timeline and see what he said he did after the final battle. All that matters is what Moroni said and what he didn't say can be analyzed within the framework of what he did say. Does that make sense?

Mormon 8 wrote:1 Behold I, Moroni, do finish the record of my father, Mormon. Behold, I have but few things to write, which things I have been commanded by my father.

2 And now it came to pass that after the great and tremendous battle at Cumorah, behold, the Nephites who had escaped into the country southward were hunted by the Lamanites, until they were all destroyed.

3 And my father also was killed by them, and I even remain alone to write the sad tale of the destruction of my people. But behold, they are gone, and I fulfil the commandment of my father. And whether they will slay me, I know not.

4 Therefore I will write and hide up the records in the earth; and whither I go it mattereth not.

5 Behold, my father hath made this record, and he hath written the intent thereof. And behold, I would write it also if I had room upon the plates, but I have not; and ore I have none, for I am alone. My father hath been slain in battle, and all my kinsfolk, and I have not friends nor whither to go; and how long the Lord will suffer that I may live I know not.

6 Behold, four hundred years have passed away since the coming of our Lord and Savior.

It's 400 AD and Moroni is pretty much throwing in the towel. The great battle is over. His father Mormon is dead and anyone left has dispersed being hunted down and killed. Moroni's life is in jeopardy and he has no plans on what to do. He's ready to bury up the records at anytime and call it quits. He doesn't know whether he will live or die and sees no point in keeping the records and he's ready to hide them up.

But hold on there because Moroni manages to survive and after typing up a copy of Ether into his gold plates he feels moved to say more. He notes that he had "not as yet perished" as if he felt he was literally on his last leg being the last man standing. He confesses that he thought he was done writing and ready to call it quits but since changed his mind and wants to keep preaching. Other than that, Moroni has no other plans.

Moroni 1 wrote:1 Now I, Moroni, after having made an end of abridging the account of the people of Jared, I had supposed not to have written more, but I have not as yet perished; and I make not myself known to the Lamanites lest they should destroy me. So he works up a little courage and scribbles more testimony into the record.

2 For behold, their wars are exceedingly fierce among themselves; and because of their hatred they put to death every Nephite that will not deny the Christ.

3 And I, Moroni, will not deny the Christ; wherefore, I wander whithersoever I can for the safety of mine own life.

4 Wherefore, I write a few more things, contrary to that which I had supposed; for I had supposed not to have written any more; but I write a few more things, that perhaps they may be of worth unto my brethren, the Lamanites, in some future day, according to the will of the Lord.
Noah Webster 1828 wrote:Image

WANDER, verb intransitive [G., to wander to walk, to change, exchange or transform.]

1. To rove; to ramble here and there without any certain course or object in view; as, to wander over the fields; to wander about the town, or about the country. Men may sometimes wander for amusement or exercise. Persons sometimes wander because they have no home and are wretched, and sometimes because they have no occupation.

2. To leave home; to depart; to migrate.

WANDER, verb transitive To travel over without a certain course.

Thus, for all intents and purposes, Moroni had no plans or purpose other than to survive and evade his enemies. His statements above are very concise in showing how he spent the remainder of his days prior to finally sealing up the records while on the run being hunted by the Lamanites. It was fitting that he buried them in the Hill Cumorah to mark the memory of those who perished (including his father Mormon) and honor all the war dead.

"And I, Moroni, will not deny the Christ; wherefore, I wander whithersoever I can for the safety of mine own life."

And finally, after some 20 years of wandering about aimlessly in making every attempt to survive, Moroni throws in the towel and makes one last entry and seals up the record in the Hill Cumorah. End of story.

Moroni 10 wrote:1 Now I, Moroni, write somewhat as seemeth me good; and I write unto my brethren, the Lamanites; and I would that they should know that more than four hundred and twenty years have passed away since the sign was given of the coming of Christ.

2 And I seal up these records, after I have spoken a few words by way of exhortation unto you.

The text of the Book of Mormon and the geography therein is conclusive that Cumorah in which Moroni sealed the records is the same Cumorah in which the Nephites perishes including his father, Mormon.

So ends the story of the Book of Mormon.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

This actually has turned into some remarkable interpretations Shulem! CONGRATS! I am impressed with the maps of "many waters," and the "narrow neck of land between the seas." Dang you have done some great work here...and it is MUCH more obvious to interpret the Book of Mormon in this geography than thousands of umpteens of miles away down into who knows where! And Rick Gruder's additions are extremely interesting as well.
Rick Grunder
Sunbeam

Post by Rick Grunder »

While I have not yet felt the Spirit in relation to your peninsula, Shulem, I surely agree with you that there was only one Hill Cumorah in Joseph Smith’s mind. The culture in which he lived presumed that great civilizations migrated that far north before being destroyed. In 1819 in Auburn, New York (where Brigham Young was then living, incidentally, forty-some miles southeast of Palmyra), author David Thomas proposed the following:
. . . it appears that the Mexican colonists had advanced into the 43d degree of north latitude, when they met the wandering bands of the Tartar race. Unpractised in war, they found in these invaders a formidable enemy; and the locality of their employments as husbandmen, would constantly expose them to attack. The history of our own settlements shows that a martial people, supplied with all the munitions of war, have suffered immensely in contests with the same race; and may explain why such extensive fortifications appear from the south shores of Ontario to the Pacific Ocean. The manner in which the Mexican Colonists became extinct, is easily conceived.
The 43rd parallel (0', 0") of north latitude, amusingly enough, runs precisely through the Hill Cumorah.

Source for the above: http://rickgrunder.com/parallels/mp436.pdf
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Looks like I am going to have to get that book Rick!!!
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Rick Grunder wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:45 am
While I have not yet felt the Spirit in relation to your peninsula, Shulem, I surely agree with you that there was only one Hill Cumorah in Joseph Smith’s mind. The culture in which he lived presumed that great civilizations migrated that far north before being destroyed.

We agree that what matters is what was in Smith's mind as he dictated the story and how everything unfolds within the story. The geography intermingles and seems fluid with a back and forth like motion within this large fluid zone -- the Book of Mormon geography. The cradle began at Lehi's landing. As far as I can make out that is the furthest point south in the entire story. Everything else is to the north or going down into the story as it unfolds. The original inheritance or first landing is the base upon which the story is built up and ultimately ends up in Jaredite territory to the far north. The geography bears a sense of interconnectedness as if the southern land of Nephi is assessable to the far north but doing so requires a well planned expedition having provisions and means to transport in order to traverse land and river. Clearly, from what I gather there is a back and forth between the far south and the far north. We are informed that there were roads and means to transport people and things. Later in the book when civilization had flowered we are given the impression that there was indeed a network of transportation and intercommunications between cities and regions through a supply chain and civilized means to connect everyone into one massive civilization. The more I think about this and process Smith's story into my own perceptions it is intolerable to adopt Central America and northern New York as the actual fluid zone in which the Nephites and Lamanites intermingled.

The peninsula that hangs from the birthplace of American democracy *is* what Smith envisioned and everything therein and thereout to the north, west, and east, is the land of promise which the Nephites were given and *that* is the same land of promise which was given to those who migrated from Europe to become the Americans. That is germane to the message of the Book of Mormon and what Smith was trying to express in his story.