Are Catholics, Christians? (not joking)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Are Catholics, Christians? (not joking)

Post by Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:52 pm
I'm not down with anti-Catholic bigotry, even if it is coming from a place of mere ignorance. Sad that a person would think Catholics are not Christian.
Fair enough. But what I find sadder on a forum like this is that no-one so far has bothered to tell us what conditions have to be fulfilled by somebody's religious beliefs before they can be called 'Christian'.

Personally I don't care one way or another what is 'in' or 'out'. But since some people evidently do, please could they favour us with an explanation of where their personal sheep/goats barrier is erected and why?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Chap wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:33 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:52 pm
I'm not down with anti-Catholic bigotry, even if it is coming from a place of mere ignorance. Sad that a person would think Catholics are not Christian.
Fair enough. But what I find sadder on a forum like this is that no-one so far has bothered to tell us what conditions have to be fulfilled by somebody's religious beliefs before they can be called 'Christian'.

Personally I don't care one way or another what is 'in' or 'out'. But since some people evidently do, please could they favour us with an explanation of where their personal sheep/goats barrier is erected and why?
Christian: The word Christian was born in The Book of Acts - In Antioch.

Acts 11:26 (NIV)

Acts Chapter 11 verse 26 - and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.

Disciple of Jesus Christ: Disciple means to be a student or follower. Here is one teaching from Jesus concerning following him and being a disciple.

Luke 14:27
New International Version
27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

So, In my opinion, A Christian is someone who is a student and follower of Jesus.

Christianity is a movement - it is not a religion per se (Religions are things like Catholicism, Lutheranism, Mormonism, etc)

Belonging to an organization doesn't make you a Christian - Nor does it matter what particular building you happen to sit in on any given Sunday.

Don't misunderstand me, you can be a Christian if you belong to any of these organized religions (Mormonism, Catholicism, Lutheranism, etc) if you are a student and follower of Jesus Christ. The danger, in my opinion, are the obvious risks and temptations that are part of these religions: To follow Joseph Smith - or the Pope - or the LDS Prophet - or The Watch Tower - or Jim Jones - or David Koresh - or any human being that has ever lived on planet earth. You must follow Jesus Christ to be a Christian. Full stop!

in my opinion, religions place us in bondage. They quite often control those who partake - place enormous demands on us - require many works - and demand tithings (Which are clearly not Biblical in my view)
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ceeboo wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:00 pm

in my opinion, religions place us in bondage. They quite often control those who partake - place enormous demands on us - require many works - and demand tithings (Which are clearly not Biblical in my view)
A to the men.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:14 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:00 pm

A to the men.
A to the dumbest Jersey women ever!! Fuckin Nazi!!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:44 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:14 pm

A to the men.
The troll continues to implode. It must have been a rough day.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Lem wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 am
Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:44 am

You haven't seen any thing yet nazi lover.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:52 am
Lem wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 am

:lol:
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Lem wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:56 am
Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:52 am

Yeah that's good, keep your mouth open really wide. That laughy face you posted is just big enough for Icarus to get his pencil dick in
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:04 am
Lem wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:56 am

Yeah that's good, keep your mouth open really wide. That laughy face you posted is just big enough for Icarus to get his pencil dick in
Mormon family man.

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:06 am
Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:04 am

Mormon family man.

He's 10x the man you are “F” face