Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

Post by Res Ipsa »

Thanks Gabriel!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gabriel
Deacon

Re: Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

Post by Gabriel »

Tom wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:07 pm
Wow, thank you! (I hope you didn't have to mortgage your house to buy the book.) That's much more than I expected in the book.
Russell M. Nelson wrote:Moreover, my experiences on the front line of artillery action and under sniper fire by guerillas in Korea, in a crippled airplane with an exploded engine as it plummeted earthward, in the grip of thundering rapids on the relentless Colorado River, submerged while wearing high waders in the Snake River
:shock: :shock: :!: I'm not familiar with the Snake River incident.
My eyes glaze over when it comes to anything to do with money. Fortunately, my wife does all the bills. I happened to see this book on eBay at the relative bargain-basement price of 769.00, with 15 people watching. As my lovely wife was snoring by my side, I decided against waking her up. After tossing and turning and humming and hawing, I relapsed back into the ethical code of my Army days where "it is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission", so I purchased it. My wife gets text messages every morning with our bank balance. I confess that I am surprised that she took it so well when I told her what I had done. Then again, we'll be married thirty years next month, I know her well enough by now to know that she holds to the proposition that "Revenge is a dish best served cold."

As for the Snake River incident, I might post something about it later.
Res Ipsa wrote: Thanks Gabriel!
You're welcome. In fact, if you ever want to borrow it for research purposes, feel free to PM me.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:36 pm
... submerged while wearing high waders in the Snake River...
I imagine he was pursuing a horse with an injured Hobbit strapped to its back when the river rose up and gobsmacked him. Nothing personal, just a spell from the riverbank by a concerned Elf.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Could President Nelson have been overly exaggerative when he made those deviltry charges against the words Mormon and LDS?

Should FAIR have rebranded itself as FAIRTrumpery when it divested itself of Mormonism?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
kairos
CTR B

Post by kairos »

His alleged exposure to artillery and guerilla
Operations is almost surely a lie- he could though explain it away if while an Army doctor stationed at Walter Reed may have taken a trip to Korea as an observer of military medicine or to collect medical data. If true he may heard artillery fire from his hotel room in Seoul.
Has that incident been put forward by Russell M. Nelson?
Thanx
k
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

kairos wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:43 pm
His alleged exposure to artillery and guerilla
Operations is almost surely a lie- he could though explain it away if while an Army doctor stationed at Walter Reed may have taken a trip to Korea as an observer of military medicine or to collect medical data. If true he may heard artillery fire from his hotel room in Seoul.
Has that incident been put forward by Russell M. Nelson?
Thanx
k
Although I agree with George Orwell that "All saints should be judged guilty until proven innocent", for the time being, I am going to give Russell the benefit of the doubt on this one. Russell's book is a little over 400 pages. It is tedious in places, and I haven't had the time to give it more than a cursory read. But I will try to get back to you within the next couple of months with a more qualified opinion, Kairos.

All I know is that, for a first time novel, it appears to be something of an outlier, perhaps even ancient, (but in this I will yield to the expertise of the good Dr. Rasmussen for the final word on this matter).
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:57 pm
…All I know is that, for a first time novel, it appears to be something of an outlier, perhaps even ancient, (but in this I will yield to the expertise of the good Dr. Rasmussen for the final word on this matter).
:lol:
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Condie’s biography purports to quote from Heart’s discussion of Nelson’s time in Korea, citing pages 76-77.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I keep forgetting to thank you Gabriel for taking one for the team and getting this book.

It's been pretty fascinating thus far. The notes on the near plane crash (cough) match up with the first accounts, although as I somewhat suspected, it doesn't flesh it out much.

The rafting episode is pretty damning. That one of his kids also fell out (it wasn't all about him) was a calculated omission. Plus, it's not really consistent with pulling over for a family huddle and lesson on symbolism.
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

One more expression of thanks to you, Gabriel. The quote in the book you found makes a nice baseline from which to determine the amount of embellishment Russell M. Nelson added to the story over the years.

More significantly, it makes absolutely clear that Nelson had his own initial written description of the event to refer to and takes away any excuse of "aging memory" as a reason for his gross misrepresentation of the facts.

Failure to at least try to make his faith-promoting tall tale consistent with his earlier account also reflects a level of disrespect, or even disdain, for his audience (as in a Trumpian, "They will believe anything I tell them!" approach in attempting to create an alternate reality.)

There could hardly be a better example of one being hoisted with one's own petard.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)