Do We Really Have It Right?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Cultellus

Re: Do We Really Have It Right?

Post by Cultellus »

Everyone is welcome. Every opinion is welcome.* Therefore, do not "de-invite" anyone or suggest that they go elsewhere.
Last edited by Cultellus on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:49 pm
Chap wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:35 pm
It is this aspect of his posting habits that has led me to put him on ignore.
Res
pancakes
Doc Cam
Jersey
Liz
Chad

Anyone else have me on ignore?

That is some really really funny stuff.

Chap has no idea what I am referring to. Nope. None. Nothing. Nope. He has no clue. Huh?
I love when posters say they put me on ignore. Reminds me a lot of my Mormon friends.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Everyone is welcome. Every opinion is welcome.* Therefore, do not "de-invite" anyone or suggest that they go elsewhere.
Last edited by Cultellus on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:52 pm
I love when posters say they put me on ignore.....
I'm sorry to disappoint you.
Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:52 pm
... Reminds me a lot of my Mormon friends
I can't speak for others, but from a decade or more or being around this board as a never-mo, I have gathered that Mormons tend to cut themselves off from former co-religionists who have apostatised for a number of reasons, some being connected with a perceived risk that the shunned person might be about to say things that might push them towards 'losing their testimony' . Then there is the notion that shunning may bring the wicked apostate back to his senses, and perhaps to the church. And so on.

I rarely put people on ignore. When I do, two reasons are at work:

1. I am bored with a poster who rarely says anything original or interesting, but continually recycles a limited number of dreary tropes.

2. I don't want to be tempted to waste my time replying to a poster on whom reasoned argument has no effect, apart from encouraging him to post more and more trollish burbling.

I don't think my motives have much in common with those of your Mormon friends who may have shunned you.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:49 pm
Chap wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:35 pm
It is this aspect of his posting habits that has led me to put him on ignore.
Res
pancakes
Doc Cam
Jersey
Liz
Chad

Anyone else have me on ignore?
I don’t have anyone on ignore. Did it once for two weeks, but I’ll end up missing some good stuff that way.

Not sure about those newbies pancakes, Liz, and Chad, though. : D
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Well, I guess we can add the "ignore feature" to the list of things that can have influence and/or impact to the question "Do we really have it right?" Actually, I think the "ignore feature" might have the greatest potential influence/impact as it relates to the question. :)
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Last edited by Cultellus on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

To your example of character A vs B. Although it is a fairly specific and narrow example it can be instructive to a larger picture.

It is possible that in any given interaction you could be "wrong" about a poster in a general or broad sense but "right" about them in the specific moment. Although both parties idea of the other in you example is not a great representation of who they are as a whole they both understand fairly well what each poster is doing within the context of that thread. I put right and wrong in quotes above because the more we dive in here the less I think they are the correct way to think about the topic. I'll go all the way back to the beginning of the thread for this one:
Xen wrote:At the end of the day this is the only window we have in which to interact (for the most part). Apart from granting one another a bit of benefit of the doubt and some common courtesy does it really make sense to respond to anything other than the very specific words that appear on our screens.
Sure we should do our best to treat each interaction as a fresh start and not make too many assumptions about the posters who we interact with but at the end of the day we are human. It is impossible for us to shake off those kinds of misses, especially when they begin to stack up over time.

In your example poster A and B missed the mark with one another for a myriad of reasons; posting motivating, communication style, timing, written language limitations. I think it is fair for them to wish for a different outcome or interaction but that is about as far as that goes. All they can do is continue to engage on the board in the way that brings them fulfillment and modify their own actions to try to create the space they are hoping to reside in.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:08 pm
canpakes wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:42 pm

I don’t have anyone on ignore. Did it once for two weeks, but I’ll end up missing some good stuff that way.
Is this true, or is what you said before true? You are as confused as your name, panflakes.

Both are true. You’re the only board participant that I’ve ever had on ignore, for a couple of weeks a month or so back when you were filling threads with random replies that you’ve now edited out. The ignore feature definitely makes threads more readable in that way.

I appreciate the utility of the feature, but wouldn’t see a need for it outside of extreme circumstances of convenience.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Last edited by Cultellus on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.