"Midnight Mormons" Profanes Temple

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: "Midnight Mormons" Profanes Temple

Post by drumdude »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:38 pm
free exercise of religion without ridicule or opposition
It's one of the most ridiculous complains I've ever seen a Mormon make, that their religion should be protected from ridicule. Reminds me of the cartoonists who were murdered just for drawing pictures of Muhammad.
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:04 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:58 pm

“Their creeds are an abomination and the professors thereof are all corrupt”?
Hi consig,
One can accept that statement and still recognize the importance of allowing all men/women the right to free exercise of religion without ridicule or opposition.
I was almost with you until you got to the "without ridicule or opposition" part. I don't think your freedom of religion supersedes my right of free speech and my right to laugh at what I find to be funny.

It's interesting how you gerrymander this line to make Mormons okay and critics not okay. If I understand what you're saying, it is fine to say other people's religious views are an abomination and their representatives of God are corrupt, as long as you do so solemnly, don't find any of it funny, and do it in a way that isn't actually opposing it.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Analytics wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:48 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

Hi consig,
One can accept that statement and still recognize the importance of allowing all men/women the right to free exercise of religion without ridicule or opposition.
I was almost with you until you got to the "without ridicule or opposition" part. I don't think your freedom of religion supersedes my right of free speech and my right to laugh at what I find to be funny.

It's interesting how you gerrymander this line to make Mormons okay and critics not okay. If I understand what you're saying, it is fine to say other people's religious views are an abomination and their representatives of God are corrupt, as long as you do so solemnly, don't find any of it funny, and do it in a way that isn't actually opposing it.
I was more or less looking from inside going outwards. As church members looking away from ourselves towards others. Not ridiculing or opposing others in their free exercise of religion. At the same time I would expect that the right to free speech allows others to ridicule or oppose the church as they see fit without depriving members of their right to safety, security, and free speech.

Hope this helps clarify what I was attempting to say.

The teachings of Jesus would encourage us as church members to turn the other cheek knowing that criticism and/or persecution is more than likely to come from the outside in.

Regards,
MG
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Not according to Elder Holland’s most recent comments on the issue.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Chap wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:52 pm
I respect nothing about human sacrifice and genital mutilation.
You respect human life and the welfare and wellbeing of the individual. I said what was “at stake.”
They are the reductio ad absurdum of the notion that anything that human beings do that we feel moved to classify under our heading of 'people's religion' deserves respect. If mockery on Saturday Night Live would put a stop to them, I'd be all for it.
Except that it wouldn’t and would probably contribute to the opposite, which is why you wouldn’t be so stupid.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Sledge wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:26 pm
I don't know! You're right. That is why I am asking. If you don't want to answer because you think I have some weird ulterior motive, I guess I'll have to live with that.
There is nothing to answer. It is not a question of wanting to answer anything or not. You made an empty accusation. You did not pose a hypothetical. I can’t and won’t get involved in what is a confused query with a dubious purpose.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:10 pm
Morley wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:30 pm

Oh not at all. I think that John Taylor obviously agrees with Joseph Smith when Smith reports that God said "that all the churches were wrong, and that their creeds were an abomination in his sight."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... n?lang=eng

That was an easy out. Doesn’t cut it though.

Of course it does. We know that the truth is plain and precious.

The reason Consig quoted Joseph Smith when Smith said, “their creeds are an abomination and the professors thereof are all corrupt,” is because this is kind of the founding reason for The Church.

You replied to consiglieri:
MG 2.0 wrote:
Hi consig,
I don't see how one can. I'd suggest that calling something an "abomination" and "corrupt" is pretty high on the scale of ridiculing. No?

edit. Whoops. I see that Analytics already said it better.

edit 2. And obviously with grammar that doesn't need editing.
Last edited by Morley on Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

He does that.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

ceeboo wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:12 pm
Hey Stem
dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:33 pm
It was relieving for her to see a joyous roller skating activity not necessarily to slap others with disrespect but to revel in her freedom.
This is a perspective that is worthy of serious and deep consideration, in my opinion. Thanks for bringing it to the table, Stem.
There's no sweeter reward than encouragement from ceeboo. Îf this ain't nirvana, well, then you know....
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

consiglieri wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:18 pm
For the record, I have always liked Stem.

Especially since he became Dastardly Stem.

Pep pep!
Been waiting on that for years.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos