"Midnight Mormons" Profanes Temple

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: "Midnight Mormons" Profanes Temple

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:54 am

I don't see how one can. I'd say suggest that calling something an "abomination" and "corrupt" is pretty high on the scale of ridiculing. No?
It’s one way of saying that the churches of the day were all the result of an apostasy which had occurred over time. But ridicule? No. Just stating the facts. What Joseph Smith went on to say is that even though the religious systems were doctrinally corrupted, they still had the right to worship how they pleased.

Re,
MG
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

So it’s okay to ridicule other religions so long as you’re sure of your “facts”?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:20 am
It’s one way of saying that the churches of the day were all the result of an apostasy which had occurred over time. But ridicule? No. Just stating the facts. What Joseph Smith went on to say is that even though the religious systems were doctrinally corrupted, they still had the right to worship how they pleased.

Re,
MG
Also
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:20 am

Re,
MG
Gee, I wonder where MG gets the notion that ‘spittin’ facts’ isn’t ridicule?
Consequently the shackles of superstition, bigotry, ignorance, and priestcraft fall at once from his neck, and his eyes are opened to see the truth, and truth greatly prevails over priestcraft …
-_-
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Have the Mopologists commented on this at all? I have to say: this doesn’t really surprise me. There has always been something of a flippant disregard for the sacredness of the temple in Mopologetics. I recall Kevin Graham telling a story about some of the old FAIR/SHIELDS yokels screwing around in the temple—I.e., using the space to do “recruiting,” and that sort of thing. The Mopologists have always been willing to do almost anything to score points against critics, and that evidently includes profaning the temple.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Kishkumen wrote:
There is nothing to answer. It is not a question of wanting to answer anything or not. You made an empty accusation. You did not pose a hypothetical. I can’t and won’t get involved in what is a confused query with a dubious purpose.
I made no accusations and frankly don’t understand the defensiveness.

I have simply observed that, much like others here, you more frequently take umbrage when Mormons are naughty than you do when ex Mormons are naughty. I wondered why, and I asked.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:37 am
So it’s okay to ridicule other religions so long as you’re sure of your “facts”?
Let’s look at what Joseph Smith actually said:
I cannot believe in any of the creeds of the different denominations, because they all have some things in them I cannot subscribe to, though all of them have some truth. I want to come up into the presence of God, and learn all things: but the creeds set up stakes, and say, ‘Hitherto shalt thou come, and no further’; which I cannot subscribe to.”
And you take these sorts of observations as “ridicule”. In the first vision Joseph was told “that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight”. That’s not making fun…i.e.,ridiculing…the other religions. It’s stating an unfortunate reality that, “The world lieth in sin at this time and none doeth good no not one they have turned asside from the gospel and keep not <my> commandments they draw near to me with their lips while their hearts are far from me.
1832 version of 1st Vision
Beginning around A.D. 200, Christians began to espouse and require of each other adherence to particular creeds, demonstrating and propagating their belief in Jesus Christ. Such creeds seemed needful because many people were teaching a wide range of doctrines about Jesus. Indeed, some of these heretical groups were way off the mark.
https://rsc.byu.edu/prelude-restoration ... bomination
Your accusation of the church ridiculing other religions is just silly on its face.

And you know it.

Regards,
MG
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What a weird larp.

“Everyone else is led astray and their faith is an abomination. I got it right, though. Sweet.”

-_-
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

I used to use the same line of argument as MG, I have to admit.

It got too thin after a while and I gave it up for Lent.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Okay, I’ll bite: Who the Hell are “Midnight Mormons,” and where is this video that everyone is talking about?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:42 am
Okay, I’ll bite: Who the Hell are “Midnight Mormons,” and where is this video that everyone is talking about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw4kGIoIS-M